Lemieux's off season training regimen: "Not ordering the fries with my sandwich"

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think we lose some creativity when we obsess about diets and such, that is just my thought.

Aside from the brilliant Soviet teams of yesteryear, I agree with this.

However, I think it has more to do with the way the game is being coached today at all levels. Players are expected to be in shape so they can skate hard for 40 seconds in North-South fashion and hound the puck or opponents. Generally speaking, players are less creative and take less risks than players in previous eras.

Reactions: Big Phil

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Why would on-ice creativity be affected by "diets and such"?

It isn't, at least not the way I meant it to be worded. What I mean is that I am just sort of parroting what another person said about Lemieux and Babe Ruth. If they were extremely stringent off the ice with their diet it may have made them a little more stringent on the ice/field.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i do agree with big phil here that certain aspects of modern training probably curb creativity as much as they encourage it.

power skating, for example, can ideally train a player to be more nimble, and be more able to execute manoeuvres that we would associate with the edgework of, say, orr, perreault, savard, datsyuk, karlsson, etc. but how many kids get that kind of skating instructor or coach? how many more get the kind that limits you to your ability to totally and completely master one of three or four aspects of skating? or maybe even just "huge burst" straight line acceleration?

i also generally agree that too much drilling at a young age at the expense of just letting kids scrimmage does more harm than good.

that said, i also think if mario or esposito or whomever took better care of themselves they probably could have gotten even more out of their abilities. it's not like eating steaks and drinking wine was giving them superhuman hockey sense.

but of course you have to do it the smart way. i remember one summer brent sopel came back with an extra twenty pounds of muscle and was horrible because he lost all his mobility.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Yes, even Mario said he owed a lot to playing pick-up with his brother (who apparently was very skilled too). This is an important point.

Also, 4 years 1/2 means Alain was probably better than Mario for a long time in their youth. If he had been only a year or two older, Mario might have surpassed him very quick.

Can you elaborate on the bad habits Mario picked up from older youngsters?
sure if Mario was 4. I bet when he hit 12 he was better if the age gap is 4.5

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
sure if Mario was 4. I bet when he hit 12 he was better if the age gap is 4.5

At age 12 probably. But as far as I know Alain Lemieux was an exceptionnal stickhandler, so playing cat and mouse the gap might be reduced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad