Lemieux tops TSN’s ranking of No. 1 picks from modern era of the draft

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hahaha Fleury, a career average starting goalie at 12? Ahead of players like Thornton,Hall,Mackinnon,Sundin,Vinny,Kovy,JT, Nash and Stamkos?

What?!

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Fleury at 12? Clark ahead of Sundin? Mcdavid at 7? What a terrible list. Potvin only 5? Thornton only 17? Terrible list.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Posting the official criteria here, since most aren't probably opening that link.

Here’s the criteria TSN applied:
1. The player’s impact on the team that drafted them.
2. The player’s performance over the totality of his NHL career
3. The player’s achievements relative to those who were drafted No. 2 and 3

Dumb criteria.

Should just be the players performance over the totality of his NHL career.

This is why people are having issues with the list and why the list has some major errors if using just criteria #2.

Reactions: DaveG

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The most glaring thing here is Fleury at 12 ahead of the likes of Jumbo Joe. I realize he had a great year, but really?
Fleury ahead of Thornton, Stamkos, Tavares etc is a joke. I would have Fleury behind Nash, Hall and Matthews aswell.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Wendel clark with 500p over sundin with 1300p. This is a joke

That's actually Wendel Clark with 242 points over Sundin and his 199 pts.

Pierre Turgeon, he of 1300+ points, is ranked three spots below Chris Philips, who is one of the most ordinary players ever. Dumb.

322 games of Pierre Turgeon against 1179 of Chris Phillips. That's arguable.

Lol @ Kovalchuk, Stamkos, and Tavares being rated higher than Thornton.

Kovalchuk - 594 GP, 615 Pts - Rocket Richard Trophy
Stamkos - 664 GP, 668 Pts - Stanley Cup finals, Rocket Richard Trophy
Tavares - 669 GP, 621 Pts - Hart finalist
Thornton - 525 GP, 454 Pts - ...

I can't believe I'm defending a TSN list. Seriously poeple, I know life is short but can you a least take time to read the article/thread you're commenting on.

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Dumb criteria.

Should just be the players performance over the totality of his NHL career.

This is why people are having issues with the list and why the list has some major errors if using just criteria #2.

Think of the ranking as "in hindsight, how well did teams do with their #1 picks? How strong of a player did they get, versus how strong of a player could they have gotten?"

It's a rather specific set of questions the list is attempting to answer, but it's at least a marginally interesting question. Of course, the fact that they made exceptions for guys like Lindros really mucks things up. "Giving" him to Philly doesn't really make any sense to given the context of what they appear to be trying to do.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
That's actually Wendel Clark with 242 points over Sundin and his 199 pts.

322 games of Pierre Turgeon against 1179 of Chris Phillips. That's arguable.

I can't believe I'm defending a TSN list. Seriously poeple, I know life is short but can you a least take time to read the article/thread you're commenting on.
Wendel clarke is the most overrated player in history

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Wendel clarke is the most overrated player in history

Can't say I disagree.

Oh, because he was traded, he is a worse pick than Phillips. Dumb.

He was traded for an HOFer. And he should be a HOFer himself, too.

The point is the fact that he put up 1300+ points, as you pointed out, has no weight on his ranking on this list. Everybody would pick Turgeon over Phillips. But they're talking about impact on their draft team, not quality of pick.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The point is the fact that he put up 1300+ points, as you pointed out, has no weight on his ranking on this list. Everybody would pick Turgeon over Phillips. But they're talking about impact on their draft team, not quality of pick.

Being the trade chip that gets you Pat Lafontaine disagrees with that assessment.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Did you forget when Thornton won a Hart, Art Ross, and Gold medal? He also led his team to the Stanley Cup Finals very recently. Let alone the fact that he could crack 1,500 points and has been a top 3 scorer post-2004 lockout. I'm also not saying that Stamkos and Tavares can't be better than Thornton, but right now as it currently stands, Thornton has had the most impressive career compared to them. Kovalchuk would have a stronger case if he didn't go to the KHL. And where are you pulling your numbers from on Thornton's stats? You must be a troll.

Might want to reconsider that last sentence, chief.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did you forget when Thornton won a Hart, Art Ross, and Gold medal? He also led his team to the Stanley Cup Finals very recently. Let alone the fact that he could crack 1,500 points and has been a top 3 scorer post-2004 lockout.

I don't think they included things like winning Olympic Gold medals, it was what a player did at the NHL level. They never mentioned Crosby's 2 Olympic Golds as an example.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't think they included things like winning Olympic Gold medals, it was what a player did at the NHL level. They never mentioned Crosby's 2 Olympic Golds as an example.

That's fair, but it still doesn't really impact my post. Especially when the factors are the player's performance over the totality of their career (Thornton has been insanely consistent, as opposed to Kovalchuk who hasn't played enough and Stamkos who has been injured a fair amount) and their achievements relative to the #2 and #3 overall picks in the same draft year (Marleau - hasn't won an award and Jokinen - lol).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's fair, but it still doesn't really impact my post. Especially when the factors are the player's performance over the totality of their career (Thornton has been insanely consistent, as opposed to Kovalchuk who hasn't played enough and Stamkos who has been injured a fair amount) and their achievements relative to the #2 and #3 overall picks in the same draft year (Marleau - hasn't won an award and Jokinen - lol).
I do agree that Thornton should be ranked above Kovalchuk for the simple fact he's played his whole career in the NHL, unlike Kovalchuk who decided to "retire" and play in the KHL.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Fleury is a borderline Hall of Famer. He will easily finish #2 All Time in wins. And he is going to do it with an expansion team. Probably finishes Top 3 All Time in Playoff wins. Goals against numbers are lower, but the wins count for why he is ranked that high

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Being the trade chip that gets you Pat Lafontaine disagrees with that assessment.

I get the sentiment. But that wasn't part of the criteria they used. Given their gidelines I don't think it is really far fetch.

Did you forget when Thornton won a Hart, Art Ross, and Gold medal? He also led his team to the Stanley Cup Finals very recently. Let alone the fact that he could crack 1,500 points and has been a top 3 scorer post-2004 lockout. I'm also not saying that Stamkos and Tavares can't be better than Thornton, but right now as it currently stands, Thornton has had the most impressive career compared to them. Kovalchuk would have a stronger case if he didn't go to the KHL. And where are you pulling your numbers from on Thornton's stats? You must be a troll.

Here’s the criteria TSN applied:
1. The player’s impact on the team that drafted them.
2. The player’s performance over the totality of his NHL career
3. The player’s achievements relative to those who were drafted No. 2 and 3

Come again?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia