Lemieux tops TSN’s ranking of No. 1 picks from modern era of the draft

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rick Nash over Auston Matthews?
If there was anyone who should not be ahead of Matthews I say it's MacKinnon. I know that this past season MacKinnon played at an elite level and is a finalist for the Hart Trophy. However I say Matthews rookie season where he scored 40 goals and won the Calder was better than any of MacKinnon's first 4 NHL seasons prior to this year.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Alex Ovechkin should not have finished ahead of Potvin or Lafleur and and argument can be made using cups why Kane is better
OV is a top 20 player of all time... there is not argument for Patrick Kane over Ovechkin. None whatsoever.

Flip Crosby and Ovechkin...

Come on folks, you knew someone was going to have to say it!!!
No. OV will never be held in higher regard than Crosby and there's nothing wrong with that.

Potvin should be #2
Potvin better than Sid? Huh?

Reactions: 21 Savage

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
OV is a top 20 player of all time... there is not argument for Patrick Kane over Ovechkin. None whatsoever.

If you read the rules on the first page, it counts importance to teams success and in my opinion 3 cups > 1 cup

Posting the official criteria here, since most aren't probably opening that link.

Here’s the criteria TSN applied:
1. The player’s impact on the team that drafted them.
2. The player’s performance over the totality of his NHL career
3. The player’s achievements relative to those who were drafted No. 2 and 3

Now fair argument that OA is just that much better then Kane nevertheless(I was just saying their is a case to be made for Kane due to cups), but Potvin and Lafleur were both top of their game during their careers and won way more cups

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
If you read the rules on the first page, it counts importance to teams success and in my opinion 3 cups > 1 cup
The Cups argument is much more valid when you're comparing two really close players. Ovechkin is a top 3 goalscorer of all time, while Kane is PPG player who had one incredible season.

On an individual level, this is OV by a country mile. Kane has had some great Cup runs but so did all the other HHOFers on those Hawks teams. I'm not sure he was even the best player on Chicago, over those three years, as Keith and Toews were arguably just as good or better.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Posting the official criteria here, since most aren't probably opening that link.

Here’s the criteria TSN applied:

I don’t like criteria 1 and 3. Should have just based this on criteria 2 and ranked them from best to worst.

Reactions: DaveG

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I realize I'm a homer, but how is Potvin not even higher, considering the criteria they used:

The Islanders built around him and went from an expansion team to arguably the greatest team of all time

Potvin had one of the highest peaks among any defenseman of all time and is a top 5/6 D of all time and kept that play up almost his entire career

Drafted after him at 2 was Tom Lysiakand 3 was Dennis Ververgaert.

Awful list...mainly due to awful criteria used. Looking at the criteria above there's no way Ovechkin should rank higher (1 cup, and Malkin drafted at 2

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Lafleur should be #2. Lafleur's scoring records were what Lemieux surpassed in Junior.

At this point, I'd lean towards Crosby.

That may sound crazy based on where Guy Lafleur sits in the pantheon of hockey greatness, but their best 5 seasons are nearly identical, and Crosby has already had quite a few more elite seasons than Lafleur did.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ovechkin should barely even be top 10 imo.

They're saying a criteria is distance over #2 and 3 - and while Ovi is ahead of Malkin, Malkin might be the best 2nd pick of all time so the gap is minimal.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Lafleur and Potvin should be 2 and 3. Then Crosby. Then Ovechkin.

I have no beef with the rest of the list if the TSN criteria is used.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
argument can be made using cups why Kane is better

We are looking at the player's individually (hence the draft pick), in which there isn't much of an argument that Kane is better than Ovechkin. One is probably the greatest goal scorer in history. The other is a guy with barely ppg.

Ovechkin has better totals.
Ovechkin is the better goal scorer.
Ovechkin has a better PPG
Ovechkin has more hardware.

Cups are a team award, and if Chicacgo had Ovechkin instead of Kane, they'd likely win all that they won, and possibly more.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Thornton at 17? Makes no sense. Best playmaker of his generation, by a fair margin.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
https://www.tsn.ca/lemieux-tops-tsn-s-ranking-of-no-1-picks-from-modern-era-of-the-draft-1.1117349

The order of where these players selected 1st overall were ranked if you don't want to click the link.

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Sidney Crosby
3) Alex Ovechkin
4) Guy Lafleur
5) Dennis Potvin
6) Patrick Kane
7) Connor McDavid
8) Gilbert Perrault
9) Mike Modano
10) Dale Hawerchuk
11) Eric Lindros
12) Marc-Andre Fleury
13) Vincent Lecavlier
14) Steven Stamkos
15) Ilya Kovalchuk
16) John Tavares
17) Joe Thornton
18) Wendel Clark
19) Mats Sundin
20) Nathan MacKinnon
21) Rick Nash
22) Taylor Hall
23) Auston Matthews
24) Bobby Smith
25) Chris Philips
26) Rejean Houle
27) Billy Harris
28) Pierre Turgeon
29) Roman Hamrilk
30) Aaron Ekblad
31) Mel Bridgman
32) Owen Nolan
33) Rob Ramage
34) Ed Jovanovski
35) Rick Green
36) Dale McCourt
37) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
38) Gord Kluzak
39) Rick DiPietro
40) Bryan Berard
41) Nico Hischier
42) Erik Johnson
43) Joe Murphy
44) Patrik Stefan
45) Nail Yakupov
46) Brian Lawton
47) Greg Joly
48) Doug Wickenhesier
49) Alexandre Daigle

I'd put Lafleur at number two for now, Crosby at three, Potvin four and Ovechkin five.

I'd put Stefan last.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tavares was drafted 1st overall in 2009 and Headman was 2nd overall that year.

Stamkos went 1st overall in 2008 and Drew Doughty was 2nd overall that year.

Oh yeah I mixed up what year Hedman and Doughty were drafted in. You can apply that standard to Tavares then, too. It's just a weird criteria to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad