News Article: Leiweke wants to free up lower level seats for "real" fans

The Wall

Mar 28, 2013
Just sent an email to Mr. Leiweke about this. Who knows if he will read it, but this is what I suggested off the top of my head. I'm sure it can be improved upon as I didn't give it extraordinary thought or time, but it's a starting point, naive and quixotic as it is.

--

Dear Mr. Leiweke,

Please speak to the corporate holders of these tickets and ask them to consider an entirely new vision for the ACC. Encourage them to change the way they think about and use these seats.

Present a vision to them where the corporate-owned seats become a haven of corporate gratitude and giving back, where each corporation uses their seats as a means to reward and thank long-time customers (and non-executive level employees?) who are also Leaf fans by giving them a once-in-a-lifetime experience at ice level.

For instance, let's say Canadian Tire has 20 seats. That's 820 seats over the course of the regular season. They could have weekly draws throughout the hockey season where any customer who makes a purchase while wearing a Leafs jersey gets entered into a draw for two of these seats. It would be a tax write-off for the company, a way of expressing gratitude for their customers, and would engender goodwill and a positive perception amongst the public which would be good for business. It would also put cheering, engaged, passionate fans at ice level and enliven Leafs games that much more.

This would be a seachange in terms of how these seats would be perceived. Instead of the lower bowl being home to "heartless suits who don't cheer," who aren't necessarily deeply passionate fans of the team, you could transform the lower bowl into a partnership between Corporate Canada and Canadian hockey fans where the ACC becomes a symbol of goodwill, generosity, and Canadiana.

It could presented as: The ACC, home of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the heart of Canada.

It would represent a breathtaking synergy between your sponsors/corporate partners/corporate season ticket holders and Maple Leaf fans and the team itself. Everyone would profit. It would be revolutionary and restore a purity to our beloved game and culture.

That's actually a brilliant marketing idea for both the Leafs and their sponsors. :handclap::handclap::handclap: He seriously might steal that

wulfio*

$$$$$.

Tim will realize soon enough that you don't need noise for the sake of noise. The fans at the ACC make noise at the appropriate time, the rest of the time they pay attention to the game because we understand what's going on.

that's really sad. this is why the players don't like the ACC...

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
This is what Leaf fans have been asking about for years, and now that someone is actually listening and doing something about we complain and hate on TL. :sarcasm:

It will never happen, but imagine an arena full of the type of fans you see at road games for the Leafs, real fans.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I do somewhat agree with this however, compared to the rest of the league, the ACC's atmosphere is about as lively as a library. It's downright embarrassing that the self-proclaimed "hockey mecca of the universe" needs to be encouraged to cheer throughout the game. I mean, Heaven forbid that you can't support your team without some stuffy suit gawking at you with utter annoyance. That's typical corporate Toronto for you... If most of these suits are just coming to the game simply because it's the cool and trendy thing to do now and days, then why can't MLSE sell them on the Executive Suites packages rather then occupying most of the platinums while they're discussing their Q4 reports amongst themselves?

that's ignorant. ever think people like to be closer to the ice?

you discount the corporate guy who is going to a weekday game, likely with a coworker, or client, or even a boss. you don't want everyone at work to hear what a lunatic you are at hockey games. good luck being invited to future events, and good luck with your profile at work.

beyond that, who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't do at a game. why is it that the "fans" who don't drop money on tickets are better fans than people who drop tens of thousands on tickets? its like a person driving a wreck of a car, and criticizing how a ferrari owner drives his car and saying they are not true ferrari fans.

finally, the last thing we need is lessons from loser fanbases on how to support a hockey team

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Just sent an email to Mr. Leiweke about this. Who knows if he will read it, but this is what I suggested off the top of my head. I'm sure it can be improved upon as I didn't give it extraordinary thought or time, but it's a starting point, naive and quixotic as it is.

--

Dear Mr. Leiweke,

Please speak to the corporate holders of these tickets and ask them to consider an entirely new vision for the ACC. Encourage them to change the way they think about and use these seats.

Present a vision to them where the corporate-owned seats become a haven of corporate gratitude and giving back, where each corporation uses their seats as a means to reward and thank long-time customers (and non-executive level employees?) who are also Leaf fans by giving them a once-in-a-lifetime experience at ice level.

For instance, let's say Canadian Tire has 20 seats. That's 820 seats over the course of the regular season. They could have weekly draws throughout the hockey season where any customer who makes a purchase while wearing a Leafs jersey gets entered into a draw for two of these seats. It would be a tax write-off for the company, a way of expressing gratitude for their customers, and would engender goodwill and a positive perception amongst the public which would be good for business. It would also put cheering, engaged, passionate fans at ice level and enliven Leafs games that much more.

This would be a seachange in terms of how these seats would be perceived. Instead of the lower bowl being home to "heartless suits who don't cheer," who aren't necessarily deeply passionate fans of the team, you could transform the lower bowl into a partnership between Corporate Canada and Canadian hockey fans where the ACC becomes a symbol of goodwill, generosity, and Canadiana.

It could presented as: The ACC, home of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the heart of Canada.

It would represent a breathtaking synergy between your sponsors/corporate partners/corporate season ticket holders and Maple Leaf fans and the team itself. Everyone would profit. It would be revolutionary and restore a purity to our beloved game and culture.

yes, lets tell all seasons ticket holders they need to give away tickets. honestly, do people think? most companies use the tickets as entertainment, not to get one extra sale at canadian tire. stop thinking that the common man is so hard done by. save up, share tickets with a group. then you can yell and scream all you want.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
- tried to take down old photos then put them back up
- apparently trying to get people in seats before period starts but hasn't worked so far
- planned a parade route but it's still too early to tell

He'll try his best with the tickets; but I doubt anything happens.

thegreatgasby*

Depends. Do you mean the Yankees of hockey in terms of number of championships? Or do you mean the Yankees of hockey in terms of financial success?

history wise and championships...obviously financialy the leafs are far ahead.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
TL just needs to shut the **** up and leave the Leafs alone .

The team sells out , they're finally doing well and with Nonis taking over running the team the focus has shifted away from loud mouth Burke to where it always belonged and that's the players .

We don't need another attention seeking American spewing non sense to distract from the on ice product .

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
that's ignorant. ever think people like to be closer to the ice?

you discount the corporate guy who is going to a weekday game, likely with a coworker, or client, or even a boss. you don't want everyone at work to hear what a lunatic you are at hockey games. good luck being invited to future events, and good luck with your profile at work.

Since when is cheering out loud in support of the team that I love equate to me being a "lunatic"? Get the stick out of your ass why dont cha? The reason why you vehemently disagree with me on this issue is because you're probably one of these corporate church mice that I'm talking about who would drop a dime on any of the fans to the usher when the clapping gets too loud for your liking. My apologies good sir...but these egg shells are pretty fragile.

beyond that, who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't do at a game. why is it that the "fans" who don't drop money on tickets are better fans than people who drop tens of thousands on tickets? its like a person driving a wreck of a car, and criticizing how a ferrari owner drives his car and saying they are not true ferrari fans.

finally, the last thing we need is lessons from loser fanbases on how to support a hockey team

Because they ruin the overall atmosphere and experience to the fans that actually pay good money out of their own pockets as oppose to the stuffy suits who were fortunate enough to be handed down tickets from upper management in the hopes of converting a prospect to a client.

And also, Montreal, Chicago, Philadelphia, MSG, even Winnipeg, where there are plenty of corporate attendees watching the game are all louder and more supportive than those pretentious assclowns that occupy the platinums at the ACC. (Not all, but the vast majority of them are) But hey, feel free to explain exactly why these big markets can get behind their respective teams in a moment's notice and we can't?...

BayStreetBullies*

TL just needs to shut the **** up and leave the Leafs alone .

The team sells out , they're finally doing well and with Nonis taking over running the team the focus has shifted away from loud mouth Burke to where it always belonged and that's the players .

We don't need another attention seeking American spewing non sense to distract from the on ice product .

This "blowhard Burke" theory was wrong back then, and it's wrong now. You call him attention seeking, other fans would argue he was doing his part to bring attention to the franchise. Your irrational bias against Burke is preventing you from seeing that the focus was always with the players, even during Burke's time as GM. It's not his fault you chose to focus more on him than the team.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Since when is cheering out loud in support of the team that I love equate to me being a "lunatic"? Get the stick out of your ass why dont cha? The reason why you vehemently disagree with me on this issue is because you're probably one of these corporate church mice that I'm talking about who would drop a dime on any of the fans to the usher when the clapping gets too loud for your liking. My apologies good sir...but these egg shells are pretty fragile.

Because they ruin the overall atmosphere and experience to the fans that actually pay good money out of their own pockets as oppose to the stuffy suits who were fortunate enough to be handed down tickets from upper management in the hopes of converting a prospect to a client.

And also, Montreal, Chicago, Philadelphia, MSG, even Winnipeg, where there are plenty of corporate attendees watching the game are all louder and more supportive than those pretentious assclowns that occupy the platinums at the ACC. (Not all, but the vast majority of them are) But hey, feel free to explain exactly why these big markets can get behind their respective teams in a moment's notice and we can't?...

If you like the atmosphere around those teams better, go support one of those teams.

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
if we could get rid of every loudmouth xenophobe who rails on about Americans 'ruining' the Maple Leafs this forum would be a better place.

Toronto is a world city and Leafs Nation is worldwide = the fact that we have fans in Western Canada and Eastern Canada and the US and the UK and every country in the world is amazing!

(the reality of this situation is that the absolute best fanbases don't tend to be in rich cities with hugely popular teams, because they will have the highest prices. Yankees fans aren't that good, really. the Knicks are very good but nothing compared to Golden State or Portland. but there is work the Leafs can do and converting season tickets to singles will help the crowd-noise.)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
if we could get rid of every loudmouth xenophobe who rails on about Americans 'ruining' the Maple Leafs this forum would be a better place.

Toronto is a world city and Leafs Nation is worldwide = the fact that we have fans in Western Canada and Eastern Canada and the US and the UK and every country in the world is amazing!

(the reality of this situation is that the absolute best fanbases don't tend to be in rich cities with hugely popular teams, because they will have the highest prices. Yankees fans aren't that good, really. the Knicks are very good but nothing compared to Golden State or Portland. but there is work the Leafs can do and converting season tickets to singles will help the crowd-noise.)

LOL:laugh::laugh:

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
Make the seats cheaper = problem solved. Why aren't I president?

that doesn't make sense considering the amount of demand for the tickets. still a business after all.

what they could do is prevent corporations from purchasing anything but boxes, have all ticket purchases be from personal accounts.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
If they want to think about improving the atmosphere at the ACC they should take notice at the soccer team or soccer in general where they have a section dedicated to the hardcore fan base that generate the atmosphere and gets the whole stadium going in the sport. If they're smart they could make a killing by doing this if they create such a section lets say behind the visitors net where you would have to take part in a paid membership ($100 a year) to be able to get tickets in that section... Also I think we've just found out why Burke was fired ;)

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I was at Game 4 this playoffs in the Lower Bowl and Im not sure what the issue is?? Cause it certainly wasnt quiet

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I didnt tell you how to cheer. You do you.

You are the one criticizing how PAYING customers cheer. "They ruin the atmospere". Stop it. Whats wrong with sitting at a game and just enjoying it without yelling "hey everyone lets start the WWWWWAAAAAAAAVEEEEEEE!"?

People like you think there is only one way to be a "true fan". Im saying people should feel free to enjoy the game any manner they want. If you want to be the wave starting character, that's cool. But if someone is sitting there with a potential client or a boss, maybe they dont want to jump up and down screaming after the goal to make it 4-2 in game 12 of an 82 game season like they have never seen the Leafs score a goal in their lives.

The crowds in cities like Chicago and Montreal are completely different. Neither of those cities have the same percentage of tickets that are corporate owned, as a result you will get more spectators who dont care about their behaviour. Check out the ACC crowds in the playoffs last year, seemed loud to me. You dont seem to understand that we are a mature crowd, most fans have seen it all. They are not going to go crazy over the average mid week game against the Pedators.

Anyway, shouldnt you be busy making a sign claiming life is so hard for the next 99% rally?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I like this Lieweke guy.

At least he talks the talk.

We will see if he can walk the walk.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This "blowhard Burke" theory was wrong back then, and it's wrong now. You call him attention seeking, other fans would argue he was doing his part to bring attention to the franchise. Your irrational bias against Burke is preventing you from seeing that the focus was always with the players, even during Burke's time as GM. It's not his fault you chose to focus more on him than the team.

Yea lucky for us Burke filled the ACC and built a fan base from coast to coast which has enabled us to spend to the cap ceiling .

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
how about letting us watch the game on the big screen outside?

Why? To be honest, I can't think of a worse way to watch a hockey game.

Also, even if they don't sell any kind of concessions, would they not be required to provide security? And would the city be all that happy with a gathering of a large group of people? I imagine they require city permission when they do it In all, wouldn't it just be a money losing proposition for the Leafs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad