Leivo or Ennis?

Leivo or Ennis

• Total voters

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's not a problem, it could just be better situation. I like the 4th line better than the 3rd. I actually find the 3rd line to be just getting by.

If there not getting scored on very much and chipping in offensively which is helping us win games with 2/3 of our top line out i'm happy with the bottom 6

There doing as well as can be expected

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's not a problem, it could just be better situation. I like the 4th line better than the 3rd. I actually find the 3rd line to be just getting by.

Babs used Par's line to shutdown the Jackets' big line. I personally would like Babs to swap Par and Goat because it appears that Ennis/Par/Leivo will be our 4th line once Matty returns. The Goat is too slow, has no hands and has no idea how to score a goal in the NHL. Par won't score much more because he doesn't have a shot but he has speed and some skill.

Reactions: zaqq

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
I would go with Ennis if those are the options. Much quicker and better hockey sense with a crafty shot. He can actually hit the net...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Leivo's been dominant possession wise all year, I get that most people don't care, but it's finally started to pay off with a few points lately, weird time to pick on him.

Honestly, if Matthews and Nylander both suddenly came back tomorrow, our top 3 lines are working so well, I think I'd try Leivo with those 2 for a bit and see if it sticks, every other line(except 1A/B Tavares/Marner line) gets slotted down a rung.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I like the lines currently as constructed, team is really gelling and playing well, so minimal disruption in my opinion is the best course of action. So when Matty comes back I think the following could work:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Leivo-Matthews-Ennis
Marleau-Kadri-Kappy
Johnson-Lindholm-Brown

The 4th line (above) based on last game it appeared was really shutting down CBJs top line. So if that continues to work well, wow, we have 3 other lines that would get favorable matchups and eat up the opposition. Matthews is a 'slight' upgrade on the GOAT :). I know Ennis earlier in the year struggled with Matthews, but he's picking it up and Leivo can become that Board battler/puck recovery guy on that line that Babs likes on every line.

IF Nylander does sign, unfortunately I see Ennis sitting since his game is the skill, offensive guy on that line not the 'puck retriever'. So that line could be Leivo-Matthews-Nylander.

Anyway, enjoying our team right now and excited at the possibilities of more once we have our top guns back.

Leivo's been dominant possession wise all year, I get that most people don't care, but it's finally started to pay off with a few points lately, weird time to pick on him.

Honestly, if Matthews and Nylander both suddenly came back tomorrow, our top 3 lines are working so well, I think I'd try Leivo with those 2 for a bit and see if it sticks, every other line(except 1A/B Tavares/Marner line) gets slotted down a rung.

I hear you, Exactly what I was thinking as well, see my earlier quote.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
It's not an option though. You don't pay someone $6.5m+/year to play on the fourth line. He'll be up with Matthews where he belongs.

But lots of players get protected minutes on the 3rd or 4th line to help them grow into a role.

At some point we probably won’t be able to afford Kadri, we will need a 3C and Nylander could be the answer.

Besides that, Babcock has already shown that he likes to spread talent across the lineup. Why else don’t we have Marner Tavares and Matthews on the same line like Colorado.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I hate, hate, hate the thought of Kappy heading back to the 4th line. He's way too good for that now. I'd personally have the lines like this once everybody's back:

Kapanen Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
Johnsson Lindholm Leivo

I don't think Marleau is useless or anything, but I feel like he's been more or less a passenger all season long. Kapanen makes way more of a difference out there IMO.

This is what I would be hoping for. We would finally get to see a loaded up line. The Tavares/Marners duo is still intact. Kadri's line probably suffers a bit with the drop off from Kappy to Brown but that is to be expected. Ennis has looked really good lately so I'd feel bad about that, but that's how it goes unfortunately.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Gauthier would be a very valuable player, if he could put on a mean face, during the NHL season. But, its obviously not going to happen. I don't think I have ever seen an NHL player, just suddenly become mean.

Stan Mikita went from being incredibly dirty, to a Lady Byng Winner. But I have never seen the opposite.

I don't give a crap about guys like Ennis or Leivo, we need to bring up Mason Marchment soon, and get him used to the NHL pace, because we sure as heck need him for the playoffs.

The Leafs are still creampuffs for the most part. And the NHL regular season is a fun place to watch cream puffs. But its embarassing, in the playoffs, where the refs swallow their whistles.

Reactions: Swedish Gretzky

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
But lots of players get protected minutes on the 3rd or 4th line to help them grow into a role.

At some point we probably won’t be able to afford Kadri, we will need a 3C and Nylander could be the answer.

Besides that, Babcock has already shown that he likes to spread talent across the lineup. Why else don’t we have Marner Tavares and Matthews on the same line like Colorado.
The Leafs also have the luxury of having far more offensive talent than most other teams. Marleau-Matthews-Nylander, Tavares-Marner, Kadri-Kapanen. We can realistically put together two primary scoring lines, a secondary scoring line and a dangerous checking line. Colorado can't do that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Getting points on 3rd and 4th line is not what it is about. It is controlling the game when you are on the ice +/-. Making sure you don't get scored on. Adding some energy to the lineup. Playing PK. Blocking shots. Winning face-offs. Winning possession game. Physically wearing the other team down. Those are the key issues when assessing 3rd and 4th lines and players. Too many people on here make their assessments on points.

Also great lines have a great mix of skills with common denominator being everyone keeping up to same pace of line. With new faster game it has weeded out the big slow plodding tough line that holds puck possession through size and strength on puck.

Tavares2Matthews

Mar 1, 2008
I think based on age you pick Leivo but based on how they're playing right now you pick Ennis, not that Leivo is playing bad.

Tough spot to be in for Leafs management but a good problem to have.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The Leafs also have the luxury of having far more offensive talent than most other teams. Marleau-Matthews-Nylander, Tavares-Marner, Kadri-Kapanen. We can realistically put together two primary scoring lines, a secondary scoring line and a dangerous checking line. Colorado can't do that.

I agree but Nylander hasn’t played NHL hockey since last April. He shouldn’t just jump into a top line role.

Reactions: smitty10

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
i want to see leivo for a big stretch of games playing with some talent before i judge him.
Hes a big body and can shoot and has skill. Ennis has definitely impressed lately. \
My thinking is that ennis can be fine lower in the lineup because hes just so fast and skilled that it doesn't matter, but leivos average speed holds him back lower in the lineup which it won't really higher up because of the skill level of all the players.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
i want to see leivo for a big stretch of games playing with some talent before i judge him.
Hes a big body and can shoot and has skill. Ennis has definitely impressed lately. \
My thinking is that ennis can be fine lower in the lineup because hes just so fast and skilled that it doesn't matter, but leivos average speed holds him back lower in the lineup which it won't really higher up because of the skill level of all the players.
I don't agree there. What Leivo has lacked so far is finnish. He's had tremendous impact on shot metrics, he's had a lot of good chances himself, and he's set up even more of them. It's just that neither he nor his linemates have been able to finnish. That'll change, though of course better linemates would help.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Getting points on 3rd and 4th line is not what it is about. It is controlling the game when you are on the ice +/-. Making sure you don't get scored on. Adding some energy to the lineup. Playing PK. Blocking shots. Winning face-offs. Winning possession game. Physically wearing the other team down. Those are the key issues when assessing 3rd and 4th lines and players. Too many people on here make their assessments on points.

Also great lines have a great mix of skills with common denominator being everyone keeping up to same pace of line. With new faster game it has weeded out the big slow plodding tough line that holds puck possession through size and strength on puck.

I wonder the same thing. You see many posters here complain about someone on the 3rd or 4th lines not scoring for awhile. They are simply not paid to score. Their jobs are playing the pk and being defensively solid ebough to not be a liability on the ice as you said.

For example, Par was not brought here to score. He was brought here to be defensively sound and win faceoffs.

We are very very lucky to be able to have a 32 goal 3C in Kadri especially at his hit. He is an elite role player who embraces the shut down role and still produce's. But he is defensively focused. The goals are just a bonus.

The same with people who jump on Hyman. He's not paid to score, he's paid to play fetch on the dumpins and get the puck to the guys who are paid to do so. Create space for Mitch and JT.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
One of Leivo or Ennis has to go at some point. Added into a bigger deal one would think.

I'd rather see them make a decision sooner then later so we can see Marchment penciled in.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I don't agree there. What Leivo has lacked so far is finnish. He's had tremendous impact on shot metrics, he's had a lot of good chances himself, and he's set up even more of them. It's just that neither he nor his linemates have been able to finnish. That'll change, though of course better linemates would help.
All of what you said is pretty obvious. He's lacked finish. It's evident and his shot metrics are great. My point was levio having better linemates would be more impactful then Ennis having better linemates.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
All of what you said is pretty obvious. He's lacked finish. It's evident and his shot metrics are great. My point was levio having better linemates would be more impactful then Ennis having better linemates.
You know, I don't know what I was thinking with my response. I agree with you. I keyed in completely on "but leivos average speed holds him back lower in the lineup" and wanted to point out that he's done really well on that fourth line, and kind of missed your overall point because of it.

Reactions: HavocWreaker

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
You know, I don't know what I was thinking with my response. I agree with you. I keyed in completely on "but leivos average speed holds him back lower in the lineup" and wanted to point out that he's done really well on that fourth line, and kind of missed your overall point because of it.
Yeah I was kind of like we seem to be agreeing lol. We both want leivo higher in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad