Leivo or Ennis?

Leivo or Ennis

• Total voters

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

If this is Babcock's belief, it seems pretty evident that, as of now, Leivo has the edge over Ennis sinve Ennis is just filling out Nylander's spot and Leivo is on the line where there is an open position.

Which makes sense. Ennis will still get a shot when injuties occur, but Leivo has looked just as good (imo) and has been waiting for a chance on this team longer than Ennis.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
that's very untrue, Leivo's primary strength is his possession game in the offensive zone. If you're listing things that Leivo has going for him, that is literally #1 on the list

I know right, what are these guys watching? He is dynamite in the O zone and kinda lost at times in his own end. Good on the wall though and should be on an NHL team from what I see, maybe not ours but he is an NHL player.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I know right, what are these guys watching? He is dynamite in the O zone and kinda lost at times in his own end. Good on the wall though and should be on an NHL team from what I see, maybe not ours but he is an NHL player.
for sure, someone will find a space for him even if it's not us, and I still think there's a really good chance that it's us. Babcock might seem to have it in for him on the surface, but you can bank on Dubas liking him as an analytics guy

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I disagree on Kapanen vs Johnsson.

Johnsson didn't have the hype going back but coming into this year after what he did last year in the Calder cup playoffs especially expectations for him have been clearly higher than Kapanen. And watching him play so far through 2 games he's easily fallen further short imo. Again though, it's very early. Unless Johnsson can find his way up the lineup for an extended period this year I'd expect he falls further short of some fans expectation than Kapanen will. This said, neither is gonna light the world on fire from the 4th. I think many of us envisioned them getting top 9 minutes this year which right now doesn't seem likely yo happen, at least to start.
I started a thread a little while back asking who people preferred and it was kapanen by a landslide. I think people have warned up a lot to johnsson since the Calder playoffs, so that's why I think fans would be less disappointed if he doesn't become a too 6 player.
That said, I'm still thinking hes on a Calder hangover. He played a lot of hockey last year.
Kapanen now had draft pedigree and is dazzling on the ice. Many fans projected 1st line potential, so if he falters I think more people will see it as a bigger upset.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I never said Leivo doesn't have a solid possession game. I said he doesn't really use his size to any greater advantage than our smaller guys do in board battling and puck protection and I maintain that. He's a decent player but the fact he happens to be 6'3" isn't especially relevant to his play style imo

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Balance, agility and strength on skates: that's what other forwards have over Leivo. Not a terrible skater, hardly, other players are just better. Yes, Leivo is big and can skate well enough and has nice hockey skills but the reason these smaller types are supplanting players like Leivo is their ability to stay on their skates and oriented in the best body position to make the best plays. The league has taken away a lot of the advantages size offers.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Unless they add some physical play from forwards it doesn’t matter. They may have a great season , but when the intensity ramps up in the playoffs they won’t have an answer.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we will see plenty of leivo and ennis all year, they will be our last winger on team and 1st injury replacement...we will see, maybe one even out plays johnsson, whom i think is higher up in depth and bit better than both...and i rate kapanen just a bit higher for team cause hes our 3rd main PK forward, and his defense and elite speed plays

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With all that skill, why is Leivo living in the pressbox ? :sarcasm:

Because he was bad on all the fitness tests the last few years and was punished for it. I know Carrick finished 1st this year, idk where Leivo finished but Babcock has praised his fitness level since camp has started. It impacted Leivo's consistency and compete level in the past for sure. We will see if Leivo stays in shape, stays engaged competing as the season goes on. If he does, he has some IQ and a good shot about his game.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I always forget Leivs is a hometown kid being from Innisfil, ON and all. Definitely pulling for him, but Ennis has also battled at camp. May the best man win.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Both have done well so far ... maybe we should be focusing on the GOAT :sarcasm: (seriously I'm quite happy with our 4th line right now)

Reactions: Lauro

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Both have done well so far ... maybe we should be focusing on the GOAT :sarcasm: (seriously I'm quite happy with our 4th line right now)

Once Matthews comes back goat will be gone into oblivion. We have Par Lindholm who is going to play in that spot and he is doing a fantastic job on the 3rd line.

Reactions: ToneDog

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Ennis looks much better than Leivo.

Replace Gauthier & Leivo with Matthews & Nylander.

Not a bad swap.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Never understood the obsession with Leivo. He has decent size and a decent shot and nothing else. It's always been obvious that Ennis has waaaaaay more skill.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Never understood the obsession with Leivo. He has decent size and a decent shot and nothing else. It's always been obvious that Ennis has waaaaaay more skill.

Gotta have guys that are good on the boards, will battle for pucks and have good hands/size - can't all be small-ish skilled guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad