Confirmed with Link: Lehner will not return, confirmed by Botterill

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This is the biggest culture change move that needed to be made. Very happy he won’t be returning.

As one of the few who supported this trade, and still think he’d be an above avg goaltender behind a better team, it was clear that he was the largest part of the locker room issues. Much more than ROR or anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
This is a good day. It's almost better to lose him for nothing because that confirms 0 teams thought his rights were worth anything.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Reports Sens are looking to move Anderson. Ship Lehner back home for Anderson and explain Murray took the wrong Sens goalie at the time:D

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He's not a good goalie. He has been part of the problem and I am glad he is gone. If you think different I would like to hear the reasoning.
Because he was an above average starting goalie in the league during his time here. With an i.oroved defense, he could elevate his game.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Hamilton said that they wanted to do a shootout after after playing 3v3 in practice and Lehner said no. Hamilton also said Housley had this look like wtf? And yes Hamilton also said Lehner never wanted to practice shootouts because because they got in his head.

The whole thing is ridiculous for a goalie in the NHL as bad at shootouts as he is

It would mess with the shooters as well. They'd wonder why it was so easy to score in practice and so hard to score for reals.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
Sabres need to change the makeup in the room, so this is a start in that direction regardless of Lehner's attitude, good or bad. He was a major piece and a big voice on a losing team over these last few seasons. Time to move on. Good luck, Robin. I'm sure the team can find some good use for that $4m-plus they'll be saving.

Reactions: Ralonzo

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
This thread.... And so many of the posts...

:facepalm::amazed::eek::skeptic:o_O:popcorn::help::sarcasm:

Yeah, let's have a food fight about Hamilton. Lehner's lost $4m in income and nobody cares! :biglaugh:
It’s pretty slow up until that 1OA pick after all. I’m all for food fights.

Happy to be rid of Lehner. I don’t like him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This is the biggest culture change move that needed to be made. Very happy he won’t be returning.

As one of the few who supported this trade, and still think he’d be an above avg goaltender behind a better team, it was clear that he was the largest part of the locker room issues. Much more than ROR or anyone else.

Which stall is yours?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Scott Foster is a FA and you could probably pay him in beer.

I’d rather take a stab at Scott Sterling. Better all round athlete. :naughty:
Just don't try that with Scott Darling.

I don't know about "refusing" but Lehner himself said at one point he decided to not practice shootouts for a while as his struggles had gotten into his head, he felt that practicing was making it worse.
(and)

Exactly. Many coaches have said that when your team's power play is struggling, focusing heavily on improving PP during practices might be really counterproductive, because players start to think too much about it and they lose the loose mindset which makes it even more difficult to focus during real action.
The 12yo boy in me thinks there's a sex joke innuendo in there.

If the team wanted to keep Lehner out of the locker room they could have just taped goal posts to the doors.
You sir, win the internets on Dahlin Day!!!

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I remember being pumped when Murray made the trade for Lehner. I saw Lehner up close and personal many times when he backstopped the B-Sens to their Calder win.

I swear, the guy has regressed since then. Whether it is due to injuries or just not taking his craft seriously, the guy has considerable less lateral movement then he had when he was an AHL goalie.

I wish him well but I just don’t see much of a future in this league for him until he addresses that issue....if he can.

Reactions: hypaspazz

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Like what?
A team wanted him as a back-up and he is looking for a starter role, he may want to test free agency so he can pick where he goes, he may have been working out an extension with another team and the term and dollars didn't work. Just because he wasn't traded doesn't mean teams were not interested in his rights.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
A team wanted him as a back-up and he is looking for a starter role, he may want to test free agency so he can pick where he goes, he may have been working out an extension with another team and the term and dollars didn't work. Just because he wasn't traded doesn't mean teams were not interested in his rights.
He's an RFA. Anyone who is willing to extend him his qualifying offer has, at worst, a second round pick coming their way if he refused to sign and gets a higher offer from someone else.

He can't say no, not in any way that doesn't generate a free asset.

And LOL at the someone offer sheeting Lehners.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I remember being pumped when Murray made the trade for Lehner. I saw Lehner up close and personal many times when he backstopped the B-Sens to their Calder win.

I swear, the guy has regressed since then. Whether it is due to injuries or just not taking his craft seriously, the guy has considerable less lateral movement then he had when he was an AHL goalie.

I wish him well but I just don’t see much of a future in this league for him until he addresses that issue....if he can.
You never go full iguana.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad