Injury Report: Lehner LBI UPD and UBI? season ending shoulder surgery

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
PDB claims he'll back up tonight
If he had to go in the ship sinks fast. His head isn't in the right spot to be playing and the organization, especially PDB, wants to be able to blame someone else for the overall failings of the team this season. It's all kind of obvious when you ignore the official stuff

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
One can officially blame Vegas brass for playing Lehner through an injury that needed a surgery.

Lehner wasn't being forced to play. Season ending surgery only became "necessary" when it was clear he lost the starting spot to Thompson. He had no problem playing through the injury when he thought he had the net.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Lehner wasn't being forced to play. Season ending surgery only became "necessary" when it was clear he lost the starting spot to Thompson. He had no problem playing through the injury when he thought he had the net.
Watched him warm up yesterday. Looked like he wanted to be anywhere but T-Mobile.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Watched him warm up yesterday. Looked like he wanted to be anywhere but T-Mobile.

Yeah he's in the wrong here as far as I'm concerned. And I have no problem calling anyone, especially the front office out on their bullshit.

I've defended Lehner plenty this year but he's acting childish here. If he was this hurt he should have immediately decided to have the surgery. He wanted to play through and then when he couldn't perform decided to effectively quit on the team.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If anyone is wondering about the reported delay by Vegas to announce Lehner was having season ending surgery, here’s my cap theory:

Vegas had only one player on the roster eligible to be sent to the AHL—Leschyshyn. To activate Carrier off of LTIR required the Knights to send Leschyshyn back to the AHL before activating Carrier. After making these moves Vegas shortly after used a (REE) Roster Emergency Exception** to recall Patera with zero cap hit because they didn’t have the free cap space to recall a backup goaltender.

Vegas could have used a REE earlier to recall Patera without cap hit and send Lehner to IR/surgery. But if they did so it would have been impossible to afterward activate Carrier.

Leschyshyn would still have been on the Vegas roster, but if they now sent him to the AHL to free up cap space there’s no longer a roster cap emergency and Vegas would have had to first convert Patera to a regular or emergency recall rather then a REE. Leaving the team with insufficient cap space to activate Carrier off LTIR.

Ultimately Vegas delayed the Lehner injury announcement so they could activate Carrier beforehand.

**Normally teams have to play a goaltender short before using a REE, but the NHL temporarily amended that for the 2021-22 season so teams don’t have to first play short.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah he's in the wrong here as far as I'm concerned. And I have no problem calling anyone, especially the front office out on their bullshit.

I've defended Lehner plenty this year but he's acting childish here. If he was this hurt he should have immediately decided to have the surgery. He wanted to play through and then when he couldn't perform decided to effectively quit on the team.
The team doctor is the one who said surgery was the option he should take, that's what the reports were based on, and we had him suit up as a backup and push it back two days later to avoid cap implications because our management put us so tight against the cap.

Lehner didn't say anything, per Friedman, who said he had heard he needed the surgery but no one was talking about it before this announcement.

I don't understand how that is Lehner quitting on the team. It looks like our management is making the team look like shit again.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
The team doctor is the one who said surgery was the option he should take, that's what the reports were based on, and we had him suit up as a backup and push it back two days later to avoid cap implications because our management put us so tight against the cap.

Lehner didn't say anything, per Friedman, who said he had heard he needed the surgery but no one was talking about it before this announcement.

I don't understand how that is Lehner quitting on the team. It looks like our management is making the team look like shit again.

Yeah not buying that spin. The timing is too much of a coincidence. He played with the injury for however long. There was no harm in him backing up for 1 more game.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah not buying that spin. The timing is too much of a coincidence. He played with the injury for however long. There was no harm in him backing up for 1 more game.
If you backup you have to be prepared to go in. Thompson could've gotten hurt and it's facing 20 or more shots again after the team doctor recommends shoulder, and apparently knee surgery.

The team was likely coaxing him to keep going before they felt confident enough in Thompson, I don't see that as something to use against him now, and injuries that needed surgery over two months ago and then get pelted with pucks do tend to get worse with time.

I don't see how it's quitting on the team. If he's called out publicly by Deboer multiple games in a row, pulled after letting one goal on thirteen shots and then implied his teammates had no confidence in him then why not admit you couldn't play to your ability and may be a detriment to the team so the best thing you can do is get healthy and let the young guy on a hot streak, or at least hotter than you, take over?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad