Injury Report: Lehner LBI UPD and UBI? season ending shoulder surgery

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
It's not up to Pete just like it wasn't up to Gallant. Disclosing injuries is a front office decision. The problem isn't even that they don't disclose what the injury is. Most teams just say UBI/LBI. They should give clearer timelines.

Gallant was a bit overboard with his injury reports. He thought he was Bill Belichick of the NHL. And he abused poor Sheng Peng so much that he went back to SJ.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

And just finished listening to Granger on Thursday's Athletic podcast. Granger believes there are "more things going on" than appear to be. Could be he's being pressured by McCrimmon/McPhee/Foley to play the guy they signed to a big contract (and kept instead of Fleury), who's being outplayed by LT.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

And just finished listening to Granger on Thursday's Athletic podcast. Granger believes there are "more things going on" than appear to be. Could be he's being pressured by McCrimmon/McPhee/Foley to play the guy they signed to a big contract (and kept instead of Fleury), who's being outplayed by LT.
If that's the case, got to give props to PDB for saying "f--k it" and putting in LT after the first period Wednesday. We almost certainly would have lost with Lehner in for the whole game. You imply that there is a schism in management, where PDB is essentially like a baseball manager being told what to do by the GM and the analytics department. If you're correct, we need to get rid of more than just PDB.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
So as an outsider. It sure appears that one of the main reasons Fleury was given the heave-ho was that DeBoer flat out didn't like/have faith in him. It was clear that Lehner was PDB's guy from the start.

So if he had a big say in keeping Lehner over Fleury I can see the pressure from upper management. Thing is Lehner hasn't played a full time starter/workhorse role since the islanders in 2018/19. He is a very large man, meaning he's not your typical string bean goalie. That body type typically wears down faster playing goalie over someone like Fleury who is very lean. Also why Fleury has been a workhorse his entire career.

If the knights miss the playoffs, ya gotta think some head(s) will roll yes?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
So i'm confused... is he actually getting surgery. lol

I'm not sure I buy Lehner being pressured to play, we know how outspoken Lehner is which I applaud, I'm not sure I see him letting the coaching staff push him back if he's not ready.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Just coming in here trying to find out wtf is going on. It's wild that nobody seems to know the whole story.

This Lehner stuff blows my mind. If you don't like Fleury and his inconsistency that's one thing, but who seriously watches Lehner play and thinks that's our guy? He was decent enough on Buffalo and New York, but that was a number of years and 40+ lbs ago. He's got the lateral movement of a 50 yr old beer leaguer. He's just as big of a headcase as Bryzgalov with none of the charm.

What's going on here anyway? Is he Deboer's guy and got ridden into the ground? Did Lehner demand to play while hurt and is now suffering the consequences? None of this makes any sense

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So as an outsider. It sure appears that one of the main reasons Fleury was given the heave-ho was that DeBoer flat out didn't like/have faith in him. It was clear that Lehner was PDB's guy from the start.

So if he had a big say in keeping Lehner over Fleury I can see the pressure from upper management. Thing is Lehner hasn't played a full time starter/workhorse role since the islanders in 2018/19. He is a very large man, meaning he's not your typical string bean goalie. That body type typically wears down faster playing goalie over someone like Fleury who is very lean. Also why Fleury has been a workhorse his entire career.

If the knights miss the playoffs, ya gotta think some head(s) will roll yes?
Just coming in here trying to find out wtf is going on. It's wild that nobody seems to know the whole story.

This Lehner stuff blows my mind. If you don't like Fleury and his inconsistency that's one thing, but who seriously watches Lehner play and thinks that's our guy? He was decent enough on Buffalo and New York, but that was a number of years and 40+ lbs ago. He's got the lateral movement of a 50 yr old beer leaguer. He's just as big of a headcase as Bryzgalov with none of the charm.

What's going on here anyway? Is he Deboer's guy and got ridden into the ground? Did Lehner demand to play while hurt and is now suffering the consequences? None of this makes any sense

You guys are conflating 2 disparate things here.

As far as injuries go: a couple of people in the media were adamant that Lehner will be shut down for at least a while, first for a shoulder problem, then his kneecap. Lehner said no & came back.

Now there's a 3rd report of him being done. Seems like a weird mix of stubbonness & coincidence. Maybe the reporters have a voodoo doll of Lehner...

Reactions: JKG33

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
You guys are conflating 2 disparate things here.

As far as injuries go: a couple of people in the media were adamant that Lehner will be shut down for at least a while, first for a shoulder problem, then his kneecap. Lehner said no & came back.

Now there's a 3rd report of him being done. Seems like a weird mix of stubbonness & coincidence. Maybe the reporters have a voodoo doll of Lehner...
but he is injured, and my statement still stands that he has not proven that he can really handle the workload of your starting goal tender without getting injured and missing time. I haven't watched many knights games this year, but it sure seems like goal tending is one of the factors on why the knights might miss the playoffs. Fleury has some ups and downs for sure. Riding Lehner as your horse without a really good backup gets you where you are now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
but he is injured, and my statement still stands that he has not proven that he can really handle the workload of your starting goal tender without getting injured and missing time. I haven't watched many knights games this year, but it sure seems like goal tending is one of the factors on why the knights might miss the playoffs. Fleury has some ups and downs for sure. Riding Lehner as your horse without a really good backup gets you where you are now.

I don't believe they were sold on either goaltender. There were reports that they were shopping both last offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad