Lecavalier replaces Yzerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
God we are stacked. When we can toss in replacements like Lecavalier, JayBo, and McCabe that is a good thing :D

I feel bad for StevieY but Lacavalier will be a good replacement

Estey

May 17, 2004
Saint John, NB
well either or they will be riding the bench in any event, baring a major injury so I don't think it matters all to much. What Vinny can bring in offence, Primeau can bring in defence so I don't think it is to big of deal since they will likely see small amounts of ice time

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Too bad for yzerman. It might have been the last time anyone would see him play. I'd hate for his last shift to be getting hit in the eye agaisnt Calgary.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Its time for everyone to realize that superstars of the 90s aren't the superstars of the 21st century and that age and new talent is replacing them as they replaced the stars of the 80s. Stevie Y getting replaced by Lecavalier just means that a new generation of players is taking their natural place at the forefront of hockey.

stockwizard*

Holy. The average age of our team just dropped alot.
Just shows the future for hockey Canada is good.
We could also have young guys like Tanguay and Nash in as well.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
chris_dub said:
What I don't get is why they named Yzerman at the beginning, knowing that he won't be ready until January.

Probably because Canada shows respect for yzerman. he was a good ambassador for us...

I like that.... Yzerman means a lot for hocket canada...

But nice to see Lecavalier in.... One more Q player in the team...

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Was hoping to see " Killer "...er... Bertuzzi named heh heh heh but Vinnys all good. Tampa with 'tree playures' on the World cup team... how's that look eh?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
it's too bad about yzerman, who's been my favourite player since i was a kid. but as far as pure gamebreaking talent, lacavalier is arguably top-5 in the league, and should have been on the team over gagne, marleau, and maybe a few others to begin with.

im glad they took him over primeau. this team has plenty of "grit" players, and i think it needed this little extra boost of offense. i had bad memories of the team canada's of 1996 and 1998, where we could have used less rob zamuner and more scoring

and finally, since i think lecavalier could play left wing on this team, it makes my job as an armchair GM easier:

1. richards - sakic - heatley
2. lecavalier - thornton - iginla
3. gagne - lemieux - st louis
4. morrow - marleau - smyth (or the "grind line")

bhj

Mar 10, 2004
Would this line look good as the 3rd line or 4th line?

Richards Vinny St. Louis

Good chemistry, good at both offensively and defensively...

What do you guys think?

Regency

May 17, 2004
Toronto
I don't know if there is much to debate about Primeau and Vinny b/c the news story said that Primeau was still suffering from the concussion he suffered during the playoffs so I am assuming that he isn't fully 100% yet.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
bhj said:
Would this line look good as the 3rd line or 4th line?

Richards Vinny St. Louis

Good chemistry, good at both offensively and defensively...

What do you guys think?

Man I would love to see those play together in the World Cup, what a line that would be !

Oceanic39*

Tortorella put it together sporatically for the last three games of the Cup finals - mostly during Games 5 and 6. That's the first time Torts has had those three on the same line. Vinny and Richards, though they played on the same line in Rimouski, have only been put together 5 on 5 in Tampa for a handful of games. Hardly at all. The Richards-VL-STL line in the Finals flew, though, and ended up drawing a 3rd period penalty in Game 6, but they weren't able to score.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'm not a big fan of Lecavalier, a little too inconsistent for my liking, but it shows how deep our country's development system is when a player of that calibre is left off the original list. Any other country would kill to have him. Tanguay and Nash, I'm guessing. were also strong candidates.

As for Primeau: If he were healthy, he would have likely been a better replacement, because he would have brought many similar qualities as Yzerman. (Bigger and stronger, I know, but he's smart, terrific defensively and a great leader).

Finally, as for Steve Yzerman: it's a shame he won't be on the team. One of the great players ever, a class act in every way, and a wonderful leader. He can shut down the opponents top line (the reason he was picked for the team), and can still carry his team on his back when need be. I don't think we've seen the last of Yzerman, unless there's a long lockout, in which case he'll be one of many marquee veterans to call it a career.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good for Vince.

Gretzky rectified the second biggest roster mistake by bringing Vince onto the team. Hopefully he will correct the biggest mistake, and bring Bertuzzi on board. Lets forget the politics and get Big Bert into this lineup. He is a mismatch to any defence, and would be a tremendous asset to this team. I think that he is the best player that Canada could ice for this tournament (including Thornton, Pronger, and Brodeur), and would have a good shot at tournament MVP.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
membleypeg said:
Gretzky rectified the second biggest roster mistake by bringing Vince onto the team. Hopefully he will correct the biggest mistake, and bring Bertuzzi on board. Lets forget the politics and get Big Bert into this lineup. He is a mismatch to any defence, and would be a tremendous asset to this team. I think that he is the best player that Canada could ice for this tournament (including Thornton, Pronger, and Brodeur), and would have a good shot at tournament MVP.
Note: If he is not reinstated, he cannot play. Gretzky wanted to make sure whoever's there is able to play definitely.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ehc73 said:
Note: If he is not reinstated, he cannot play. Gretzky wanted to make sure whoever's there is able to play definitely.
Reinstatement is politics. As I said above, lets get rid of the politics and get Bertuzzi back in this lineup. Politics was easily removed to allow Darian Hatcher (also suspended) to play for the US lineup. Bert has been out of hockey too long. Lets see the best square off in the Canada Cup. It might be the last hockey that we see for some time.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I like the Lecavalier selection. I love Stevie Y but at 39 and after those knee operations I thought anyways it would have been smarter to put Vinny on the team. I mean after his stellar playoff performance its sure to say that he ha arrived as a force in the NHL. If there is Hockey next year I think a 90-100 point season is what Vinny should be hitting.

He's got a plethora of skill, and we can never have enough of that. I think he should have been on this team in the first place but at least Gretzky corrected thatin a hurry. I like Primeau but I think that he had just a good playoff and that was looked into to much. Lecavalier is the much better choice.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
membleypeg said:
Reinstatement is politics. As I said above, lets get rid of the politics and get Bertuzzi back in this lineup. Politics was easily removed to allow Darian Hatcher (also suspended) to play for the US lineup. Bert has been out of hockey too long. Lets see the best square off in the Canada Cup. It might be the last hockey that we see for some time.
Gretzky can't control those politics though. That's Bettman's arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad