News Article: LeBrun: Evan Rodrigues and the Leafs have had “productive talks” on a new contract - Update not QO'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Erod is not worth 2 mil. and I doubt he will get that if he goes to free agency given his stats from last season.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
One of the stats guys in the media said hes nearly as good as Kapanen according to some metric.

I dont know much about him. A contract for 1m or less is likely fine

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
With the way our salaries are structured, he has to come in under a million. We need the extra cash for D.
If its more than that, let him walk.

Reactions: 17 Clark

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One of the stats guys in the media said hes nearly as good as Kapanen according to some metric.

I dont know much about him. A contract for 1m or less is likely fine

The whole hockey world is giving Tampa Bay credit for adding Goodrow, Maroon, Bogosian, Schenn and Shattenkirk and we’re thinking about spending money on Evan Rodrigues.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The whole hockey world is giving Tampa Bay credit for adding Goodrow, Maroon, Bogosian, Schenn and Shattenkirk and we’re thinking about spending money on Evan Rodrigues.

Steve Dangle brought up a great point a couple weeks ago on his podcast: we really, really need to re-evaluate the term "bad hockey player". Schenn and Bogosian are contributing parts of the Lightning, but many would describe them as "bad".

There's a price point and a lineup placement for nearly anyone. The appropriate places and prices just need to be found

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Just why Does Kyle do something silly again

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I'm going to be cynical about this. I think he's an attempt by the GM to pull off a clever move. That's what Petan and Malgin were, players the GM thinks have some untapped abilities ready to break out in a new city. I saw that animated display of self-satisfaction in the pressbox that night Petan scored his one and only goal as a Toronto Maple Leaf. The GM wants to pull off a trade steal badly.

I guess he will just have to wait till NHL2021 comes out then.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At the time, people didn't really think any of those guys were very useful additions. Doesn't it make sense to wait and see if the Leafs even sign Rodrigues, and then see how he performs? He could surprise, like all those guys you listed

What I know of Evan Rodrigues is he’s not a very effective player who has spent a lot of time on bottom feeders and doesn’t bring too many qualities that would jump out as solving Leaf needs. If they pay him league minimum I guess he’s just a warm body, but I think it’s a waste of time and not a player that would suggest the organization is looking at its needs very seriously.

NoGoalCaufield

Feb 22, 2018
Wow... people here are just as generous as Dubas when it comes to salary negotiations. Rodrigues has never done anything (yet) that would justify a million dollars or more per season.

This. There is no way any GM should be giving Rodrigues 1mill plus. He has done nothing to earn it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Steve Dangle brought up a great point a couple weeks ago on his podcast: we really, really need to re-evaluate the term "bad hockey player". Schenn and Bogosian are contributing parts of the Lightning, but many would describe them as "bad".

There's a price point and a lineup placement for nearly anyone. The appropriate places and prices just need to be found

I'm going to step on some peoples toes here, but a lot of the characteristics people value in flashy hockey players to start a season are not necessarily going to be the ones who can do the dirty work at the end of a playoff run. Those high octane skill plays tend to evaporate into an ugly mucking semi skilled, near exhaustion slug fest either your superstars have to be able to play or have the right role players to help them.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Seriously. The only productive call with Rodrigues would be “you’re free to explore options with other teams!” He’s a guy who had to request a trade out of Buffalo to get playing time...
Pay attention Our brilliant GM already in talks with him If you think he’s not that stupid wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad