News Article: LeBrun: Evan Rodrigues and the Leafs have had “productive talks” on a new contract - Update not QO'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Rodrigues is a player that if he hits UFA (because he's not going to get qualified), could be looking at a PTO or waiting 2 months for a contract. Teams are going to be very hesitant to put any money on the table until they know what the league year is going to look like.

If that scares a player like Rodrigues, then there should be an opportunity for Dubas to approach him with a 2-year deal, league minimum salary, plus a $300k signing bonus immediately. If they have to trade him because they find something better, no problem, he's going to cost a team league minimum in terms of salary.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Rodrigues is a player that if he hits UFA (because he's not going to get qualified), could be looking at a PTO or waiting 2 months for a contract. Teams are going to be very hesitant to put any money on the table until they know what the league year is going to look like.

If that scares a player like Rodrigues, then there should be an opportunity for Dubas to approach him with a 2-year deal, league minimum salary, plus a $300k signing bonus immediately. If they have to trade him because they find something better, no problem, he's going to cost a team league minimum in terms of salary.

Why are we even on him? We don't need guys like that. It just baffles my mind. I don't care how cheap he is. He is another Malgin, Petan.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Why are we even on him? We don't need guys like that. It just baffles my mind. I don't care how cheap he is. He is another Malgin, Petan.

I'm going to be cynical about this. I think he's an attempt by the GM to pull off a clever move. That's what Petan and Malgin were, players the GM thinks have some untapped abilities ready to break out in a new city. I saw that animated display of self-satisfaction in the pressbox that night Petan scored his one and only goal as a Toronto Maple Leaf. The GM wants to pull off a trade steal badly.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I'm going to be cynical about this. I think he's an attempt by the GM to pull off a clever move. That's what Petan and Malgin were, players the GM thinks have some untapped abilities ready to break out in a new city. I saw that animated display of self-satisfaction in the pressbox that night Petan scored his one and only goal as a Toronto Maple Leaf. The GM wants to pull off a trade steal badly.

BREAKING: NHL GM wants trades and signings to work out. More at 11.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he's willing to sign for a cheap deal, the Leafs could get good value from him.

I cam see a guaranteed contract + ability to play jn a big media market like Toronto for a year or two could very well be a big enough draw to get him to sign.

Hes a bit of a reclamation project so not as if he'd get a huge pay day in free agency

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The entire bottom 6 needs to change

This 100%. I wouldn't bring back a single one of them.

If the rumors are true about these negotiations, it shows Dubas hasn't changed his spots. Still thinks small and soft wins. Evidently didn't watch the playoffs this year.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Like Cifford?

Clifford was essentially benched in the critical game of the season. Shows the coach doesn't see value in him. Plus the deal Dubas made costs us a better pick if we bring him back. Clifford is a dime a dozen. Bring in a younger guy on a better contract who doesn't cost you a pick.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If he's willing to sign for a cheap deal, the Leafs could get good value from him.

I cam see a guaranteed contract + ability to play jn a big media market like Toronto for a year or two could very well be a big enough draw to get him to sign.

Hes a bit of a reclamation project so not as if he'd get a huge pay day in free agency
Can an undrafted player be a reclamation project?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Clifford was essentially benched in the critical game of the season. Shows the coach doesn't see value in him. Plus the deal Dubas made costs us a better pick if we bring him back. Clifford is a dime a dozen. Bring in a younger guy on a better contract who doesn't cost you a pick.

He was benched a single game in the Jackets series when the team was chasing a lead. Every other game between the regular season to that series he received average 4th line usage from the coach.

I dont know why you keep repeating this nonsense.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Does Dubas control the bench.

This makes no sense, you just said that bottom 6 skilled players are Dubas players.

Are you just moving goal posts now?

Reactions: kb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He was benched a single game in the Jackets series when the team was chasing a lead. Every other game between the regular season to that series he received average 4th line usage from the coach.

I dont know why you keep repeating this nonsense.

I was clear in what I said. Wasnt nonsense at all.

I don't know the exact stats, but a scout I talk to said he averaged almost 20% less ice with the Leafs vs Kings.

Again, you can call numbers nonsense, but that's what I was told. And just watching the two teams play, I feel like Clifford played more with the Kings vs Leafs. Feel free to look it up though. Maybe im wrong (spoiler - I'm not).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I was clear in what I said. Wasnt nonsense at all.

I don't know the exact stats, but a scout I talk to said he averaged almost 20% less ice with the Leafs vs Kings.

Again, you can call numbers nonsense, but that's what I was told. And just watching the two teams play, I feel like Clifford played more with the Kings vs Leafs. Feel free to look it up though. Maybe im wrong (spoiler - I'm not).

The Leafs have a deeper top six than the kings, its not surprisng they play them more and their 4th line less.

Whats pure undeniable nonsense is your claim that he didn't have the trust of the coach beacuse of a single game

Regardless , presuming one can guess a GMs entire offseason plan based on them potentially signing a player like Rodriguez is also absurd

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Nothing personal, but are Leafs in the business of build-up, feel good projects?

We need more size and grit up front. He was a -8 on a team that was top 3rd in the league in GF/GA ratio. I'm not sure what the logic would be unless he is signed for depth at a league or near league minimum.

Maybe it's a failsafe in case they move a couple of players and maybe he can work hard for a bigger contract or, scouts and the GM believe they see something there. Nothing wrong with taking a flyer on a player, but, it can't be too significant a roll of the dice in the cap era.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Can an undrafted player be a reclamation project?

Thats my thought. More like a hoped for bounce-back to his two decent Buffalo seasons. 18-19 wasn't that far away. I think they got his rights because they either expect he will make the lineup or they are bringing in another bottom 6 center and they are prepared to have a $1M a year backup with the Marlies as insurance. Maybe they plan to have a bunch of burieable contracts if their bottom 3 don't produce. He can play center but his offense is a little light for #3 and his FO and physicality don't seem ideal for #4. If they axe the Goat I don't know that this guy has enough game to outperform him in under 9:00 TOI. KD is working something there, just not sure what it is.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The Leafs have a deeper top six than the kings, its not surprisng they play them more and their 4th line less.

Whats pure undeniable nonsense is your claim that he didn't have the trust of the coach beacuse of a single game

Regardless , presuming one can guess a GMs entire offseason plan based on them potentially signing a player like Rodriguez is also absurd

Its not just one game though. I just told you it was his entire tenure with the Leafs that he played far less. On top of that he was essentially benched in a clincher. Maybe if we had a real bottom six we wouldn't struggle to beat a team like Columbus.

Are you trying to say Dubas prefers bruises over waterbugs? Seriously? This is just another example. You would think this of all years he'd be looking to switch things up, but so far looks like normal Dubas player moves. More smurfs. Yay!

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Thats my thought. More like a hoped for bounce-back to his two decent Buffalo seasons. 18-19 wasn't that far away. I think they got his rights because they either expect he will make the lineup or they are bringing in another bottom 6 center and they are prepared to have a $1M a year backup with the Marlies as insurance. Maybe they plan to have a bunch of burieable contracts if their bottom 3 don't produce. He can play center but his offense is a little light for #3 and his FO and physicality don't seem ideal for #4. If they axe the Goat I don't know that this guy has enough game to outperform him in under 9:00 TOI. KD is working something there, just not sure what it is.
I am pretty sure that KD sees this as a Marlie signing-injury call up signing. The Marlies were a bit of a ship show last year and I doubt anyone in the organization is happy about that. If he can be signed for an amount that can be buried without penalty with the Marlies why not? If you have proven that you can play in the NHL, then surely you can play in the AHL and provide injury insurance for the big club. It is all about the cap and if he can be sent down without cap penalty, I struggle to understand the problem.

Reactions: Duckrider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad