Speculation: [LeBrun]: "Couture's gonna sign a big extension, they're gonna announce it July 1st"

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Who is the better center couture or Hertl? Couture is better offensively in terms of production but I see shark Dan's valuing hertl very highly due to his possession game and ability to control the play. If couture gets 8-9 million is hertl right to ask for 6.5-7 mill?

I think they make each other better, but I prefer Hertl in the center spot and Couture on the wing. Hertl is IMO, the better defensive player, and better possession player. He's so good at keeping the puck until the sneaky Couture can get open. Couture is also a pretty clinical finisher, really great compliments IMO.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
well, at least for SJ these big contracts are gonna suck all at the same time.
They'll be long out of contention by the time these contracts hurt them, so it won't matter.
Ah, going with the Kings strategy I see.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
In other news, water is wet.

No brainer for SJ.

If they land Tavares, though, can't wait to see what they do with their captain. Back to wing? That aging forward core is going to make a lot of dough for a long time.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I’m hoping and expecting for Pavelski to get the Marleau and Boyle treatment. Couture should still be a solid contributor for the next 4-5 years. I’m expecting a 7 year deal for $7.5mil per.

AliBaba

Jan 16, 2013
Bay Area
Hertl is the better center right now but no he wouldn't be right to ask 6.5-7 mil. Couture is a UFA and Hertl is an RFA. With his production, he should fall around the 5-5.5 mil range.

Hertl is not the better center. He doesn’t even play center for the Sharks. What the hell are you talking about?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Um, the Anaheim deals have worked out pretty well for them.[/QUOTE]

Not the Perry or Kesler ones....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not the Perry or Kesler ones....

Every team in the league would say that the Perry one has worked out for them. They've gotten four out of five good years under that contract. Only someone severely shortsighted and with very short memories would believe otherwise. Kesler deal is still too early to call. It's only going into year three and they're 1-for-2 on it.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
8 mil / 8 years for couture? Man is he ever overrated
A 29 year old former 9th overall pick in 2007. Runner up rookie of the year to Jeff Skinner. Versatile player that has primarily played center throughout his career. Top line PP player. Solid PKer. Clutch in big moments. 81 points in 96 postseason games (including 30 points in 24 games during the Stanley Cup finals appearance of 2016). 437 points in 582 regular season games where he’s a +57.

I’m not trying to be a homer at all, but I’m curious what you think he’s worth in today’s landscape? If he was a FA what would he get on the open market?

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Awesome, these 8-year contracts for players over who are almost 30 years old (especially forwards) always work out great for the team signing them.
If only the other teams didn't realize that they could sick their huge contract anchor and send them off trying to injure the other players in their division it would have worked out so much better. (Dustin brown)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Couture is not the type of guy I would give an 8 year deal to. Sharks will regret it if they do. He’s one hell of a player but that term should be reserved for the absolute elite.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It’s really cute how concerned you all are over our cap situation. Really, it’s sweet. But Logan Couture is the last long-term contract on our team that I’m concerned about. He’s going to be a damn good player late into his thirties.

It’s funny how fans of teams who can only dream of a center as good as Logan are calling him overrated.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad