TSN: LeBrun: Alexander Edler on the Trade Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I dunno...call me nuts, but I'm pretty sure the Sharks had a good idea they'd be locking Burns up before giving away a package like that. And it wasn't like Burns was a rental ... San Jose had a full year to work out that contract.
The Sharks might of known, but the Wild certainly didn't. They would've have exploited it to keep the price down.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
If Aquilini is cutting corners and pinching pennies while his arena is sold out every night to some of the highest ticket prices in the NHL... then wow. SMDH. The more I hear about this family, the worse they sound. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like we have a meddling owner. The worst thing a sports team can possibly be afflicted with.

Damn.

Vinnik in Tampa bit the bullet on Lecavalier's contract. Aquilini family: sack up and open your cheque book. You owe this fanbase.

Please tell me how it is the Aquilinis are "cheap". I said this in a post in another thread, perhaps even this one.

The Aquilinis have time and time again had the generosity to bury contracts in the minors, those of which have significantly surpassed the 4.2 for a Ballard buy out.

Moreover, in regards to Luongo, why pay someone 42 million dollars when they are clearly still able to play, and perhaps ~may~ still be able to win a vezina trophy? Yes Schnieder is younger, he may be better as well, but not by 42 million dollars worth.

Aquilinis are doing everything they can to win, but if you are the GM and you can save money and its not going to make your team very much worse, if at all, you do it.

Lastly, Ballard will be bought out, for sure, however why not give it a go on conventional waivers and see if maybe you can get someone to take the bullet for you, seems like a wise move to me.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Please tell me how it is the Aquilinis are "cheap". I said this in a post in another thread, perhaps even this one.

The Aquilinis have time and time again had the generosity to bury contracts in the minors, those of which have significantly surpassed the 4.2 for a Ballard buy out.

Moreover, in regards to Luongo, why pay someone 42 million dollars when they are clearly still able to play, and perhaps ~may~ still be able to win a vezina trophy? Yes Schnieder is younger, he may be better as well, but not by 42 million dollars worth.

Aquilinis are doing everything they can to win, but if you are the GM and you can save money and its not going to make your team very much worse, if at all, you do it.

Lastly, Ballard will be bought out, for sure, however why not give it a go on conventional waivers and see if maybe you can get someone to take the bullet for you, seems like a wise move to me.
Not buying out Luongo is one thing. It's a giant beast and I can see putting your foot down. But some of the reports suggest Edler is being shopped because Aquilini wants no buyouts at all. Given our cap situation, we'd have to pursue other options besides buyout Ballard and that's trading Edler.

If Ballard is bought out, whatever, good for Aquilini. But if Edler is moved and Ballard is still on the roster next year, that's absolutely the wrong choice and that's on him.

Last edited:

Outside99*

Trading Edler makes sense as we don't quite have the roster to contend, Garrison can move back to his natural LHD, and defensively speaking, Garrison LHD + Tanev >> Garrison RHD + Edler.

A Burns like return is what we can probably expect.

Obviously, you'd have to sell the destination to Edler...

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
I think you have to bank on Edler having a turn around year under a new system/coach. If he improves on his play last year, then his contract looks good again. The market is so thin for a player of his skill set and those 20+ minutes would be hard to fill in. Do we have any up and coming defensive prospects similar to Edler? Not really

I still don't now where we stand on building to be a contender, or if management still believes we are.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Trading Edler makes sense as we don't quite have the roster to contend, Garrison can move back to his natural LHD, and defensively speaking, Garrison LHD + Tanev >> Garrison RHD + Edler.

A Burns like return is what we can probably expect.

Obviously, you'd have to sell the destination to Edler...

You really think Garrison Tanev >> Edler Garrison............ ...... .... .. . wow

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If Edler was going to be moved it would've been at the draft when Gillis could move him to 29 other teams, now he can't Edler would have to ok it, if Gillis couldn't get a good offer for Edler at the draft I doubt one will come later on and now he has to deal with a ntc, I don't see Edler moving now.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
If we get Mike Sullivan in here I have a feeling Edler will be a much better player. Not to say he was bad but the past two seasons he has been quite inconsistent I think he's at a point in his career where he's gotten 50 points so where does he go from here? He needs some direction and a consistent partner.

AV's biggest mistake was shuffling the roster like a deck of cards besides the Sedins.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
You really think Garrison Tanev >> Edler Garrison............ ...... .... .. . wow

to be fair, the guy did say defensively speaking but even there it's a bit of a stretch IMO put Tanev out for Edler MPG and he would get exposed as well IMO.

Outside99*

You deliberately misquoted me - I wrote defensively and Garry on the left side instead of the right.

:shakehead

John Bender*

I believe the buyout was for 25 million, spread out over 18 years - is that correct? Add to that it would have alleviated recapture which is almost a certainty when he retires before his contract is over. To cap all that off, Schneider was younger and better. He has all the makings of being an elite goaltender and Luongo has all the makings of a goaltender on the decline that has so much baggage in Vancouver it's not even clear to his own teammates whether he can continue to play here.

It was one of the dumbest decisions in franchise history. I suspect strongly that we will be taking about this 15 years from now the way we do the Cam Neely deal.

The Canucks organization looks like it's run by monkeys - really mickey mouse how all this played out. I look at the team - all the money they ask from us to buy their expensive tickets, all money we spend on jerseys, t-shirts, merchandise, etc, all the emotional investment we make in the fortune of the club......this feels like we have been stabbed in the back. They took our MVP and shipped him out of town because they did not want to pay off a guy that wanted to leave and that we all though was best if he left.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I believe the buyout was for 25 million, spread out over 18 years - is that correct? Add to that it would have alleviated recapture which is almost a certainty when he retires before his contract is over. To cap all that off, Schneider was younger and better. He has all the makings of being an elite goaltender and Luongo has all the makings of a goaltender on the decline that has so much baggage in Vancouver it's not even clear to his own teammates whether he can continue to play here.

It was one of the dumbest decisions in franchise history. I suspect strongly that we will be taking about this 15 years from now the way we do the Cam Neely deal.

The Canucks organization looks like it's run by monkeys - really mickey mouse how all this played out. I look at the team - all the money they ask from us to buy their expensive tickets, all money we spend on jerseys, t-shirts, merchandise, etc, all the emotional investment we make in the fortune of the club......this feels like we have been stabbed in the back. They took our MVP and shipped him out of town because they did not want to pay off a guy that wanted to leave and that we all though was best if he left.

As much as you can say Gillis mis handled the situation, I hate when people say we should have just bought him out. Not only do we lose an asset for nothing, but more importantly is this your 25 mil? Are you going to pay him to play else where? Unless the answer is yes, which it is not, you can't say anything.

25 mil is more than most here will make in a life time it is a large amount of money to just throw away. I will tell you what, you give me 25 thousand, over 18 months and I will leave this boards. That is what a thousand times less money.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Have to agree that I really hate our owners now.

John Bender*

As much as you can say Gillis mis handled the situation, I hate when people say we should have just bought him out. Not only do we lose an asset for nothing, but more importantly is this your 25 mil? Are you going to pay him to play else where? Unless the answer is yes, which it is not, you can't say anything.

25 mil is more than most here will make in a life time it is a large amount of money to just throw away. I will tell you what, you give me 25 thousand, over 18 months and I will leave this boards. That is what a thousand times less money.

Actually I can say whatever I want about this. These owners DO owe the fans of this city. They have easily one of the highest ticket prices in all of hockey and continue to raise them year after year. They give nothing back to the fans. They are a private company, so we don't know what kind of money they do make, but we can be assured it's amongst the most in the league.

The owners basically told the fanbase that while they do want to win, they don't want to do so at the expense of their own pocket book, which is apparently more important. Other owners of less lucrative clubs don't seem to be hindered from buying out players. See Tampa Bay and Long Island. Those fanbases are far smaller than Vancouver's. Their revenues are far lower. Yet they do what's in the best interest of the club.

The Canucks calculated that they can **** over this fan base and that they will just come back in droves to buy their overpriced tickets, merchandise, etc. I hope they calculated wrong. With what happened with the attendance last playoffs coupled with this kick in the balls, I fear they may have pushed this too far.

John Bender*

Makes no sense to move Edler now unless they get a ridiculous overpayment.

I would move Edler for Couterier. Would Philly? Edit: with the Lecavalier signing, that would not work cap wise for Philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad