TSN: LeBrun: Alexander Edler on the Trade Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 27s

As teams begin to court UFAs, a lot of clubs are still working the trade wire, including Vancouver, who is still actively shopping Edler

I simply don't believe it. I could see others asking about him but it seems a waste to shop him now that NTC has kicked in.

Is it a limited NTC?

Pseudonymous*

If we can bring in a more reliable D like a hamhuis, im all for it. One high risk D is enough for our team. Trade one of bieksa/edler please.

As long as the return is great. Because theyre both good players and edler has big upside but we have one too many high risk players and watching them paired together makes me want to vomit

Im glad the GM is open ears regarding Edler. Though actively shopping makes me sound like hes willing to accept whatever the best offer is, not sure i agree with that. :/

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
GMs are always listening or at least should be.

The whole "we're just listening" is a crock.

When they say that they are shopping a player. Maybe not full out.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 27s

As teams begin to court UFAs, a lot of clubs are still working the trade wire, including Vancouver, who is still actively shopping Edler

With NTC?

I'm a little concerned that Gillis is going to make a bad situation worse by moving another great young player on an excellent deal.

The only way I would do it so to move him for someone like Subban. Wasn't there some mention of Gillis talking to Bergevin a while back?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If Aquilini is cutting corners and pinching pennies while his arena is sold out every night to some of the highest ticket prices in the NHL... then wow. SMDH. The more I hear about this family, the worse they sound. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like we have a meddling owner. The worst thing a sports team can possibly be afflicted with.

Damn.

Vinnik in Tampa bit the bullet on Lecavalier's contract. Aquilini family: sack up and open your cheque book. You owe this fanbase.

Though just crossed my mind. Companies often cut costs when they are on the market.

With rising tix prices and a reduction in payroll making the books look nice could this be the case with the Nucks?

Does Edler need to be off loaded?

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
I am beginning to think that Edler told management that he wouldn't mind being traded, perhaps Torts? I just can't imagine Canucks shopping a player like Edler who is signed to a ridiculously good contract

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I am beginning to think that Edler told management that he wouldn't mind being traded, perhaps Torts? I just can't imagine Canucks shopping a player like Edler who is signed to a ridiculously good contract

Could be but Id be surprised if that what hes told them.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I do think we make good trading partners with Montreal if that's where he ended up. A couple good, young, cheap NHL players and a prospect or pick would be a good move.

arsmaster*

"Actively shopping" is rumour monger speak for I've heard his name come up.

I highly doubt Gillis is "shopping" Edler, however, if teams are calling and making offers, I have little doubt he's listening.

Nov 1, 2011
With NTC?

I'm a little concerned that Gillis is going to make a bad situation worse by moving another great young player on an excellent deal.

The only way I would do it so to move him for someone like Subban. Wasn't there some mention of Gillis talking to Bergevin a while back?

Really? We're going to pull the reigning Norris holder for Edler? Sounds kind of ridiculous and I put a very high value on Edler.

The time to get Subban was last year.

I'd trade Edler to Philly for Coburm @ 75% salary, Couturier + 1st (2014/2015)... nothing less.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Really? We're going to pull the reigning Norris holder for Edler? Sounds kind of ridiculous and I put a very high value on Edler.

I'd trade Edler to Philly for Coburm @ 75% salary, Couturier + 1st (2014/2015)... nothing less.

Subban is not signed long-term, and he's had a just recent contract dispute with them. What's better: a signed Edler, or a Subban 1 yr from going into another contract dispute, unlikely to settle for less than his Norris trophy commands. He'll get 7.5m long-term. If that's too rich for MTL, they'll move him.

John Bender*

Wow, why not just throw in booth and have them give us giroux?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

That's possible. Also, they might have been having discussions and ran somethings by his agent this weekend, which might have triggered his interest in leaving. Never know.

I dont think Gillis would really be discussing Edler if he wouldnt be willing to move. That said, obviously we're assuming this story is true. In the world of hockey journalism there's no dignity.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The thing to consider in Edler deals is that we would likely be using his money to sign a free agent. So if we got two to three young pieces and used the money to add Iginla up front for free. . it's great asset management IMO.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Subban is not signed long-term, and he's had a just recent contract dispute with them. What's better: a signed Edler, or a Subban 1 yr from going into another contract dispute, unlikely to settle for less than his Norris trophy commands. He'll get 7.5m long-term. If that's too rich for MTL, they'll move him.

The Canadiens moving PK Subban because they don't want to pay him the going rate would be crazy, they are far richer than the Canucks franchise (for example) and he is one of their most marketable players.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Canadiens moving PK Subban because they don't want to pay him the going rate would be crazy, they are far richer than the Canucks franchise (for example) and he is one of their most marketable players.

Then what was the issue signing him long-term when he was sitting out? They screwed themselves over by strong-arming this marketable reason into a 2 year deal. He wins the Norris, and now they will pay through the nose for him, or trade him. Bergevin bends to Subban's demand this time, or he trades him. I think you're forgetting the history here.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The thing to consider in Edler deals is that we would likely be using his money to sign a free agent. So if we got two to three young pieces and used the money to add Iginla up front for free. . it's great asset management IMO.

Making the team even weaker in the here and now...

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton

I agree. I don't think we would get PK as a return on Edler unless we added in a lot more, which seems counter-productive.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

And that leaves us...

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Tanev
Sumgai - Corrado

That's going to go over really well. If we get Del Zotto or Gardiner plus additional assets. Okay, you can argue we traded offense for defense. If it's just picks so Aquilini can be a cheapskate. **** him.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
With NTC?

I'm with you on this. After the Schneider trade I would be worried as to what we would get back for Edler. I'd like to see him play under Torts and see if he can reach his potential after having another year to recover from back surgery. Losing Schneider and Edler in the same off season would set this team back IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad