TSN: LeBrun: Alexander Edler on the Trade Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Is Edler on the trade block? Or are we getting calls for him? Two different things...

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Prospects are ridiculously overrated and 5th/7th OV don't contribute for 3-4 seasons.

If we're trading a core piece like Edler to replace Sedin 3-4 years down the line with getting 0 help for the upcoming season then we might as well deal Hank too.

If we want to supplement our core guys then we need players who can step in. I don't trust our scouting to draft a player who can do that right away.

I've confused the Schneider thread with the Edler thread.

:shakehead

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I hope we do trade Edler. His new deal is a massive overpayment for what he brings. He is not the top 2 Dman we all wanted him to become. Come July 1 he'll be the highest paid Dman on the roster with a NTC to boot. Move him now and improve the team moving forward or it will be a regret I am sure of it.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Unless there's a huge overpayment obviously, but I don't consider a packag based on futures (ie top 10 pick) worthwhile. I'f we trade edler and cs for draftpicks, might as well keep going and dump kesler, burrows, bieksa, hamhuis amd the twins as well.

This is a bit short-sighted. Getting the 7th overall pick means we can shop the 24th overall pick, or some of our better prospects, for veterans that can help in positions of need (centers).

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I would want their 1st in a deal with Edler

Edler and our 1st for Skinner and the 5th overall, I hope we don't move Edler it'll hurt our puck movement and he'd be hard to replace for 5million a year for 6 years that's an amazing contract.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
I hope we do trade Edler. His new deal is a massive overpayment for what he brings. He is not the top 2 Dman we all wanted him to become. Come July 1 he'll be the highest paid Dman on the roster with a NTC to boot. Move him now and improve the team moving forward or it will be a regret I am sure of it.

I get that he might not be developing as people wanted, but I just can't see how his contract is a "massive overpayment" when taken in context of what D are paid in the NHL.

Look at this list and tell me there aren't several players paid more than him per year (of the 23 that are paid more) that you wouldn't take Edler over. And look at the names below him making almost the same amount that are significantly worse than him.

http://capgeek.com/leaders/?season=2013&type=CAP_HIT&position=D&limit=50

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Canucks have 4 left-side defenseman being paid top-2 pairing salaries. By my count that's 2 too many and only one of them is tradeable. As much as Edler has the highest upside amongst the Canucks' defenseman, he's prone to too many mental lapses and there's the big question mark about his back.

It's ironic that folks are complaining at the lack of any major moves by Gillis so far this off season and as soon as there's even a sniff of a significant one, people are screaming bloody murder.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well obviously no one has been traded yet, but as someone who has been told by numerous posters on this board that Gillis "won't entertain" trading Edler before his NTC kicks in, it is somewhat enjoyable to hear that he is at least listening to offers. I don't know why some people are so against a trade without knowing what the return will be. I maintain that this team is imbalanced in its distribution of assets on Forward and Defense. Assuming Gillis gets fair value for Edler - an assumption I'm willing to make for the time being - then I'm all for a potential trade. Question is, is it more likely to be a now-for-now trade ie. Edler for Ryan or a now-for-future trade ie. Edler for the 3rd or 5th. Either way this draft is shaping up to be a lot more interesting than a lot of people thought it was going to be.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I get that he might not be developing as people wanted, but I just can't see how his contract is a "massive overpayment" when taken in context of what D are paid in the NHL.

Look at this list and tell me there aren't several players paid more than him per year (of the 23 that are paid more) that you wouldn't take Edler over. And look at the names below him making almost the same amount that are significantly worse than him.

http://capgeek.com/leaders/?season=2013&type=CAP_HIT&position=D&limit=50

You definitely make a good argument but I still move Edler if we can improve our teams future. Me and a few others have been saying for over a year now that our windows is fast closing, if not already closed, and we have nothing coming up to replace our aging core. Sooner or later we are going to have to start making bold deals and Edler is one of few players without a ntc. It sucks to do it but sometimes you have to give up something to get something.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
You definitely make a good argument but I still move Edler if we can improve our teams future. Me and a few others have been saying for over a year now that our windows is fast closing, if not already closed, and we have nothing coming up to replace our aging core. Sooner or later we are going to have to start making bold deals and Edler is one of few players without a ntc. It sucks to do it but sometimes you have to give up something to get something.

Totally agree. I'm not opposed to trading Edler. I would be opposed to trading Edler for less than optimum value due to his contract. That's all I was saying.

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China

Agreed. This is how you extend your window too. You sign a young guy with promise then deal him for a big return.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
PHI has been doing it for years. Good teams find a way to retool on the fly. If they don't they end up like the CGY Flames.

And in the process of their 'retool on the fly', Philly committed a ton of money to a 35+ contract who isn't playing for them anymore, still don't have a goalie, moved out Richards and Carter who went right on to win a Stanley Cup together almost immediately as key contributors, and have lots of young players in the lineup, but their prospect cupboards are pretty sparse at the moment.

Is that really a model we want to follow?

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
If we trade Edler, our transition game will be even worse, a distinct problem of last season. Edler on the block doesn't make a whole lot of sense, here.

Dado

And then they 're-tooled' and missed the playoffs, by sending out Cup Winning pieces. :dunno:

And we were swept in the first round.

I really don't see that our "moneypuck" approach is producing meaningfully better results than Philly's "throw **** at the wall and hope for the best" approach.

Lundface*

Wish Bieksa could be traded :(

People will be happy now, Gillis will get new players !!! NEW players are exciting !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad