TSN: LeBrun: Alexander Edler on the Trade Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Rumour is Carolina offered the 5th for Coburn.

Hope that shows you how terrible a return that would be for Edler.

Don't see how that terrible, was that confirmed because I've heard that Dreger may have been implying that Philly's 1st would be included.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
People want change, but when MG is doing the right thing in shopping our only players who hold any value people get upset.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
People want change, but when MG is doing the right thing in shopping our only players who hold any value people get upset.

Exactly! got to be willing to let go with some of the "core" who knows what you get in return at this point but its worth exploring!

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Hmm, this could be related to those Ryan Murray rumors I've been hearing.

What rumors?

Don't see what's wrong with listening to offers on Edler and Schneider. It's not like we couldn't improve this team by trading these 2. Depends on how badly other GM's want them...

John Bender*

What about Schneider for Gagner and the #7, then flip the #7 and Edler for the #1?

StringerBell

Rumour is Carolina offered the 5th for Coburn.

Hope that shows you how terrible a return that would be for Edler.

What exactly was the rumour? Could it maybe have been that's what Philly wanted for Coburn? Otherwise... :help:

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
I would do Edler for the 5th and maybbeeee a +. Combine that with Schneider getting the 7th + and we have ourselves a bright bright future

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
yikes. I know elder has been pretty bad this season but he was playing with bieksa most of the time, and was playing on his off side. Elder has shown he can play well at both ends of the ice when Ehrhoff was his partner, and Ehrhoff isn't a defensive stud. I personally don't see how the canucks can replace Elder and what he brings without paying some defense men a crap load of money/hurting the cap.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Moving Edler doesn't make sense. This team needs to improve offensively for the playoffs, and moving our best blueliner when it comes to generating offense from the back end is certainly not a great way of going about it.

Imagine if you went back in time a couple years and told this board that Gillis would even be 'entertaining offers' on Edler. You'd have a riot. And for good reason...Edler is a top defender in this league, and as close a thing as we have to a real #1D. He's big, can move the puck and put up points, play significant minutes. If we are foolish enough to move an arguably top-15 all around defenceman...we'd better have a great plan in place to replace those minutes with someone who can supply similar or greater offensive push from the back end, while still playing a strong all around game.

Subtract Edler and insert Tanev in his place, and we're right back where we were pre-Ehrhoff, desperate for puck movement on the back end, loaded up with 'defensive guys'.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Well if we move Schneider and are able to bring back a top pairing right side puck mover then trade Edler for forward help I could live with that.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
What good are the 5th/7th OV for our team? Our core players are 30 and we're supposed to be contending.

An overpayment for Edler that I would accept is a young guy like Seguin.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
If schneider and/or Edler are traded, i'll personally drive gmmg to the airport. And I say that as someone who woke up this morning relatively satisfied with the job he was doing.

Unless there's a huge overpayment obviously, but I don't consider a packag based on futures (ie top 10 pick) worthwhile. I'f we trade edler and cs for draftpicks, might as well keep going and dump kesler, burrows, bieksa, hamhuis amd the twins as well.

Stupid day for rumours, not liking things at all today.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Vancouver needs high end prospects. If moving Schneider accomplishes that then I'm all for it. If Edmonton is really prepared to pay the high price and they can start a small bidding war with say NYI then Gillis would be a fool not to move Schneider. We need assets for one of our goalies. If Gillis ends up passing on a good offer for Schneider then waiving/buying out Luongo then he has failed.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Skinner for edler, Is something I would do.

And apparently, skinner is on the market

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
What good are the 5th/7th OV for our team? Our core players are 30 and we're supposed to be contending.

An overpayment for Edler that I would accept is a young guy like Seguin.

Give your head shake look at the prospects we have in our system... If we want to replace Henrik Sedin as our number 1 center down the road you need a can't miss prospect with a high ceiling.

John Bender*

Give your head shake look at the prospects we have in our system... If we want to replace Henrik Sedin as our number 1 center down the road you need a can't miss prospect with a high ceiling.

So who is the can't miss #1 Centre the team will get at #5 or #7?

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Prospects are ridiculously overrated and 5th/7th OV don't contribute for 3-4 seasons.

If we're trading a core piece like Edler to replace Sedin 3-4 years down the line with getting 0 help for the upcoming season then we might as well deal Hank too.

If we want to supplement our core guys then we need players who can step in. I don't trust our scouting to draft a player who can do that right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad