News Article: Lebreton

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
hey man, the chance was there, he won the bid, if he can’t get his stuff together you can blame everyone else but he’s the guy that said downtown was essential to the club and then said it wasn’t
Ruddy screwed him which is funny because I’m sure Melnyk would have tried to screw Ruddy. In my mind the biggest miss was Devcore. They said they would build the rink as part of their bid and would even by the team. On a multi billion dollar project they should have upped their offer on the team by a couple hundred million.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
it was a little sarcasm, about lack of ticket sales.... Get it now?

Get it now? I had an honest question thinking I was going to learn something I didn't know about engineering. Turns out it was just asinine humour rearing it's childish head again.

Do the community here a favour, don't pollute threads with dumb humour that can steer a legitimate discussion astray. Or if you do and have to explain it, don't be an arrogant D about it.

Reactions: bert

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Get it now? I had an honest question thinking I was going to learn something I didn't know about engineering. Turns out it was just asinine humour rearing it's childish head again.

Do the community here a favour, don't pollute threads with dumb humour that can steer a legitimate discussion astray. Or if you do and have to explain it, don't be an arrogant D about it.
What you are mentioning vis-a-vis these types of "contributions" are to be expected at this point sadly. There are other contributions that are worse and not in-line with the job description though. I expect most of the regulars in here feel that way.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

it is not dumb humour it is sarcastic gold.

it also has some reality as well, the building is used sparingly: less wear and tear. Don’t overreact, it is bad for the community

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Reactions: bert

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Everyone in Ottawa and the NCR knows an arena at Lebreton makes sense. That's never been the problem. Who's going to pay for it? That's the sticking point since the request for proposals and environmental studies started.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Everyone in Ottawa and the NCR knows an arena at Lebreton makes sense. That's never been the problem. Who's going to pay for it? That's the sticking point since the request for proposals and environmental studies started.

I can’t wait for “Not on my dime!” whining to begin again.

The circle continues.

Good to hear that things are moving though. Definitely we’ll be hearing good things this summer.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
...Who's going to pay for it? That's the sticking point ...

can you clarify what the sticking point has been. Isn't whoever wins the bid paying for it? Euge and Rudy would have had some internal "how do we finance this thing", but they were paying for it. I can imagine a ticket surcharge for sens games. As far as I recall, all the bidders who took part indicated no public money was included in their plans.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
can you clarify what the sticking point has been. Isn't whoever wins the bid paying for it? Euge and Rudy would have had some internal "how do we finance this thing", but they were paying for it. I can imagine a ticket surcharge for sens games. As far as I recall, all the bidders who took part indicated no public money was included in their plans.

There will definitely be public money put into the arena. And to be expected. You don’t ask for an arena to be built and not expect to have to pay your part

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
There will definitely be public money put into the arena. And to be expected. You don’t ask for an arena to be built and not expect to have to pay your part
perhaps there will be public money in the future and it will become a sticking point, but the original post suggested there has been and ongoing sticking point since this all started, so I assumed there would have been some back and forth over the past several years from the interested parties, but I don't recall any such reports and that's what I was looking to see.

the closest I recall is the application for that city supplied soil remediation money. But that wasn't a sticking point. It is available money to any developer and designed for this purpose.

if the NCC (or city or whoever) is "demanding" that there be a rink downtown because they see it as an anchor feature that will give the project a higher profile and bigger chance of being seen as a success, the owners of the team would be kind of stupid not to see what they could be offered in order to pack up the team in the u-haul and saunter down to the flats.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The good thing is there will be some new faces in place. It remains to be seen if a new owner can make it happen, but the chances seem better than they have these last few years.

Any buyer will know that the long term future of the Senators in Ottawa requires a downtown arena, so it can probably be assumed that they're at least coming in with some shell of a plan to make it happen if they're prepared to buy the team. Should be interesting, it's a pretty exciting time to be a Senators fan even though it's on a somber note.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Devcore said back in 2019 they don't need public funds to build the arena. Not sure what their stance is now.

If they act like normal billionaires they will try and get every level of government to pay for as much as they can.

The mayor did say he would put in money to help the build, so expect some type of government payment

Calgary cancelled an entire arena build over a $6 million dispute: Calgary flames have face planted so hard on their arena negotiations they’ll probably have to make their new arena the “Nenshi Center”

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
IF you look at the average lifespan of a facility the like of the CTC, without another major refurbishment, the end of the lifespan ... and the planning and building of a new facility to replace the CTC at a new location, are pretty much aligned in terms of the timeline involved..... end of lifespan and cutting the ribbon on a new facility.

There are greener pastures south of the border.....just saying.
What are the lifespans of arenas?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I dont mind public funds going into so as long as when Ottawa residents purchase any event tickets they get them discounted as opposed to non residents, until any public funds are paid back.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Looks like we aren’t getting a major update tomorrow according to Bruce’s article . It is believed that sens placed an expression of interest

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
one thing that isn’t helping is constructions costs are skyrocketing, the salary cap is rising and revenues are stagnant so you just wonder where this goes - there’s barely money to run the hockey team properly you just can’t imagine Melnyck has the money for a stadium
If "revenues are stagnant" how is the "salary cap rising"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad