News Article: Lebreton

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I’m sorry man but this post just reads like an incredibly bitter person who didn’t get their revenge before the local sports team owner died.

You’re literally making up bullshit fantasies so that you can be pleased with the current situation without having to acknowledge the role of one of the main people who set it up. No, the NHL did orchestrate this deal, the owner of the Sens did, for his daughters, before he died. He hired a former employee back to help the transition, and put a board in place to run the organization once he was gone.

Let your hate go man, it’s making you look desperate, and you’re better than that. No one is trying to make Eugene look good, or sing his overall praises, some of us just don’t require people who have done bad things to be completely evil. Some of us can condemn some of his behaviour, while also being thankful that he had the foresight and desire to set the franchise up for his departure.

As for the daughters, I have teenaged daughters. I want to see what these two can do because I’d love to see what mine would do, and it makes the situation very interesting for me. I’m also tired of watching folks beg for rich men to facilitate their escapisms, and I secretly enjoy watching middle aged men squirm at the idea of two young women owning the team. Such an easy underdog situation to cheer for.
I'm not making anything up or crafting some master narrative, I'm just not taking Leblanc at his word that Melnyk was some savant here, and I do enjoy Leblanc's interviews otherwise. Melnyk has a ruined reputation that I think some of these guys have an attachment to repairing it and Leblanc showed his cards with the statement that had to be scrubbed. You are more than welcome to buy in to that idea and believe it, but I do not and think it's happening for a reason otherwise.

And I mean, you can tell me I'm bitter and it probably appears that way, but you have a couple posters basically bragging that the daughters own the team and nananabooboo type playground shit to bait others, one being in a power position here, so lets not pretend immaturity is or has been some one sided beast here. I'm reacting, not acting. Admittedly, that is a bad habit of mine not being able to contain it.

To be clear, I'm ecstatic about the state of the team regardless, I've bought in emotionally and financially as much as possible at this stage, it's just not quite my preferred outcome of a big money power group over two owners with no track record yet and I find some of the posting about this disingenuous and meant only to troll even though it skirts the rules technically. It comes off to me as an emotional attachment to an outcome no different than me being attached to the idea of one of the rumored interested parties being my preference. I don't have any resentment towards Anna and Olivia and am fine with them owning the team if it keeps rolling in the right direction. I've said before that your argument for them owning the team and why you like the situation is respectable, but you're the only person I've seen make that specific argument. And I'm tired of cheering for underdogs, I've done it all my life and the fact is they just lose overwhelmingly, the odds are against them, so it's not something that excites me anymore after watching small market teams do nothing but losing for 20+ years.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting thats all that's to it. Was just outlining what the volumes and off site trucking operation could look like.
I thought the remediation has been completed for years now? The worst area was under the War Museum and park in front. Across there is a huge pit that has already been remediated.

1656258238859.png
1656258542128.png

Everything north of the parkway was done 20 years ago.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm not making anything up or crafting some master narrative, I'm just not taking Leblanc at his word that Melnyk was some savant here, and I do enjoy Leblanc's interviews otherwise. Melnyk has a ruined reputation that I think some of these guys have an attachment to repairing it and Leblanc showed his cards with the statement that had to be scrubbed. You are more than welcome to buy in to that idea and believe it, but I do not and think it's happening for a reason otherwise.

And I mean, you can tell me I'm bitter and it probably appears that way, but you have a couple posters basically bragging that the daughters own the team and nananabooboo type playground shit to bait others, one being in a power position here, so lets not pretend immaturity is or has been some one sided beast here. I'm reacting, not acting. Admittedly, that is a bad habit of mine not being able to contain it.

To be clear, I'm ecstatic about the state of the team regardless, I've bought in emotionally and financially as much as possible at this stage, it's just not quite my preferred outcome of a big money power group over two owners with no track record yet and I find some of the posting about this disingenuous and meant only to troll even though it skirts the rules technically. It comes off to me as an emotional attachment to an outcome no different than me being attached to the idea of one of the rumored interested parties being my preference. I don't have any resentment towards Anna and Olivia and am fine with them owning the team if it keeps rolling in the right direction. I've said before that your argument for them owning the team and why you like the situation is respectable, but you're the only person I've seen make that specific argument. And I'm tired of cheering for underdogs, I've done it all my life and the fact is they just lose overwhelmingly, the odds are against them, so it's not something that excites me anymore after watching small market teams do nothing but losing for 20+ years.
I guess I just don’t see a reason to be praising Melnyk, or using the term ‘savant’. It’s pretty obvious that he put all the ducks in a row for his daughters because he knew he was dying. That’s not an especially praiseworthy action considering lost parents who are dying out their estate in order and try and leave the best set up for their children.

We can also be happy that he did, given that there were deadlines, and hires that had to be done and kept.

I just don’t see why there is a need to make up a narrative that gives all the praise for some pretty normalish estate work, to the NHL. We also don’t need to turn around and praise Eugene, again, for normalish estate work.

As for the underdog, I hear you, but this is a small market team, we’re always going to have to hand together to make it in the sports world. I personally don’t see anyone taking losses without a price to pay. I feel much more comfortable with ownership that wants to make the team a part of the community, and wants to make the beta profitable first and foremost. To me that’s the only way the team survives in he city. Personally I really like the social changes that the team has undergone, and I like that Olivia and Anna know that the team has to swing all the way back the other way to mend bridges.

Anywho, I kind of took your dig about ownership as directed at me, which is totally fine, and I was feeling a bit ornery last night. I enjoy debating with you just so you know ;)

I understand and and respect the position you’re taking, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable given what we’ve had going on for years.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I put myself on their place and the first question I asked myself is “do I have $1 Billion doallrs to build an arena with a government body that hated my Dad and is notorious for delays and red tape and going over budget.” And I answered no to all those questions and then I remembered my Dad say “you have to own the arena to play there im not playing in someone else’s arena” so I decided to sell the team.

They, and their partners, do not need 1 Billion dollars, they need to secure the financing ( borrow ) to develop the site. If successful, they will own ( fully or partially) the Arena, if and when it gets built.

Remember Terrace Invetments ( the original ownership group) ?
They did not have the money to even pay the NHL expansion fee of 50 million dollars, the money to built the Palladium….. they secured financing for everything, and this is the same route the current owners and their partners will use….. Terrace Investments came out of the process owning the Arena.

the city of Ottawa has built, and is still expanding the LRT system, and with two stations in Lebreton Flats, are all in on development on the flats, to justify the enormous cost to covert a perfectly functioning Bus Transit system, to a LRT system that got off to a shaky start, to say the least……

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Land cleanup, time tax for multi bureaucracies involved, general large project delays, Ottawa being Ottawa… 2030 is my estimate for opening and even that might be optimistic. Hope I’m off base and it really is more like 2027.

according to an article in the newspaper…. The land has already been cleaned up, it has been a process that has been taking place for at least a decade now…. Pretty sure the contaminated soil has been stored up near Renfrew somewhere.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I have a feeling the biggest problem is going to be cleaning up that land, and the stability of the ground underneath it. That's going to be one hell of a lot of weight there, and iirc, there is some natural waterways at least under the ground (if not on the surface as well). Cleanup is going to be nasty. I'd guess $175 mil at least.

I do remember the original proposal had the NCC say that the cost of cleanup was either going to be covered by government, or the cost deducted from the cost of the land (ends up to the same thing either way really). I wonder if that part of things is still on the table.
According to news reports I’ve read, the contaminated soil has been already been removed, and the process is complete.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Who said they were to stupid besides you? I just said I wouldn’t invest $400 million to not have majority vote in the team - and most smart people wouldn’t. Why would you invest hundreds of million in the Sens if you can’t control the arena and team direction and you you get outvoted by a 19 and 23 year old?
Their partners are ( as of today ) only involved in the development/arena construction on the parcel of land on Lebreton Flats…. Not involved with the NHL franchise. Yes that could change.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
According to news reports I’ve read, the contaminated soil has been already been removed, and the process is complete.
It's a much smaller parcel of land than the original development plan, so it may be that they already have it taken care of it for the arena location, but I'm curious if you had a link

There was a 5.7 hectare site that was cleaned up, North of Psimi all the way to the parkway, between booth and the intersection of vimy and the parkway. NCC at the time mentioned that cleanup of the rest of the development area would be the responsibility of the winner. The new site is southwest of the chunk that is known to be cleaned up, between Preston and city center. I haven't seen anything that suggests it was already cleaned up, but it's possible

Reactions: Relapsing

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Could you be more specific? To help with my search..
President Anthony LeBlanc has made regular appearances on radio and TV and along with CFO Erin Crowe, helped get the Senators’ LeBreton Flats bid in order. To his credit, Eugene Melnyk made sure the Senators got that bid into the National Capital Commission before he died.

Not only did LeBlanc help orchestrate support of Alfredsson through the team’s official website, the Senators also supported the #AlfieToTheHall campaign, started by superfans Corey Meehan and Stephen MacDonald.

Reactions: Loach and Sweatred

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Capital Sports, Trinity legal battle ends with out-of-court settlement​

A lawsuit and counterclaim over a failed bid to redevelop LeBreton Flats and move the Ottawa Senators to a new downtown arena has been settled out of court, according to a statement from the team.

"All of the parties involved in this matter have reached an out-of-court settlement. [Capital Sports Management Inc.] will not be commenting further," said an email from an Ottawa Senators spokesperson sent to CBC on Monday night.

Reactions: thammias

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

Capital Sports, Trinity legal battle ends with out-of-court settlement​

A lawsuit and counterclaim over a failed bid to redevelop LeBreton Flats and move the Ottawa Senators to a new downtown arena has been settled out of court, according to a statement from the team.

"All of the parties involved in this matter have reached an out-of-court settlement. [Capital Sports Management Inc.] will not be commenting further," said an email from an Ottawa Senators spokesperson sent to CBC on Monday night.

An important milestone in the sale of the team.

Ryan Reynolds said he was sick of it. Settlement hours later.

Buckle up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad