News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC - PART 2

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
To be fair, that would probably help out for games against the leafs...
That's true. Even though its probably not practical or likely, I'd like to see some the blue shirt invasive specie replaced with the indigenous red & black .

What do people see in Bayview as an option? I really don't get the appeal
I think the idea behind Bayview is that will give the developers that are part of the Andlauer consortium the opportunity to build (& own/lease) whatever they want to build which would be presumably hotels, restaurants, etc.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I am an out of towner but have lived in Ottawa in the past so I am looking for input from anyone on here. Thanks
Here are my questions I have no agenda I am just asking questions:

How many people on this forum have used the LRT? Or use it on a regular basis?
How far do you travel on it?
Is it a good system?
Would it be able to handle 10000-14000 fans after a hockey game? (Assuming that some people would not take the LRT and would walk, get a car ride, uber etc.....).

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Bayview yards is basically the non-NCC property version of Lebreton. I think the benefits of Lebreton is more available land and better existing road infrastructure for a possible arena.

I am an out of towner but have lived in Ottawa in the past so I am looking for input from anyone on here. Thanks

Is it a good system?
Would it be able to handle 10000-14000 fans after a hockey game? (Assuming that some people would not take the LRT and would walk, get a car ride, uber etc.....).

You would need to add another couple of trains for sure. I’ve taken the metro out from Osheaga with 40000+ and it’s slow going but it works.

Reactions: bert and Senovision

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Is it a good system?

I've used it for a brief period when it first opened.

It's a good system when it works. But that's the problem. We're going on five years with it and it still has issues that stop service. I had hopes the issues would have been fixed in a year or two but they seem to be too ingrained in the infrastructure to be resolved.

Jim Watson has screwed this city over like no other with his corruption/ineptitude in his handling of LRT.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's right beside lebreton...... the only place the North South and East West Transit meets. Closer to hintonburg equal distance to little Italy as Lebreton. Close to Quebec. It's my number 1 choice personally. Only second to lebreton. They are the only real choices.
Idk, just seems like it's shifting us another 10 mins west from downtown. A bus from Hull to Bayview yards is about the same as it is to Hurdman (not that I'm advocating Hurdman). You're that much further from the Market or Elgin st. No real access to the highway. Same Public transit time to Bayview and Hurdman from Kanata, but for the east Hurman is 20 mins quicker, Southend benefits from Bayview though. By car, it's a wash for everyone but Orleans.

Hintonberg and Little italy are temporary advantages imo, but notable non the less. Wherever you build that's downtown adjacent will see restaurants and nightlife pop up,

Idk, I see Bayview as a small upgrade over Hurdman, and I don't want Hurdman,. The tough part is the better options (aside from Lebreton) don't offer any development options to go along with an arena.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Is it a good system?
Every time I've used it it's been great, but I never happened to hit a time when it wasn't working.

It's supposed to be able to handle ~10k PPH in each direction, that should be enough.

Reactions: Senovision

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I've used it for a brief period when it first opened.

It's a good system when it works. But that's the problem. We're going on five years with it and it still has issues that stop service. I had hopes the issues would have been fixed in a year or two but they seem to be too ingrained in the infrastructure to be resolved.

Jim Watson has screwed this city over like no other with his corruption/ineptitude in his handling of LRT.
there is no money!!!!

years ago, I met with a City official..
1) the city of Ottawa has used itself as an un-employment solution for decades.
2) the bill has come due, pensions and benefits for employees that began in the early 1970's began to wallop the city by around 2000

Now there is nothing left.. taxes pay salaries and benefits/pensions..

you haven't noticed the shape of streets When I moved here in 1998, the streets were fantastic. When I moved to Riverside south and started moving around the rural areas, they were fantastic. SEE NOW.

there have been city Councilors who have run on platforms to fix streets.. a few weeks into their term and "crickets". They realize, NO MONEY to pay for it. So they spend their 4 years "ducking and dodging". Hoping no one remembers their campaigning and promises.

Do searches. We were all embroiled in massive analysis in the 1980's on pensions and retirements and where will the money come from.. Similar with public sector versus private sector employment and burden.

Guess what! in 2000 the chickens came home to roost. now there is no money. The LRT is what you get when you try and make chicken salad from chicken shit.

JimBO did not screw anyone. He simply had an eye opening when he met the city's financial officers. They handed him chicken shit and said, enjoy your salad.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Idk, just seems like it's shifting us another 10 mins west from downtown. A bus from Hull to Bayview yards is about the same as it is to Hurdman (not that I'm advocating Hurdman). You're that much further from the Market or Elgin st. No real access to the highway. Same Public transit time to Bayview and Hurdman from Kanata, but for the east Hurman is 20 mins quicker, Southend benefits from Bayview though. By car, it's a wash for everyone but Orleans.

Hintonberg and Little italy are temporary advantages imo, but notable non the less. Wherever you build that's downtown adjacent will see restaurants and nightlife pop up,

Idk, I see Bayview as a small upgrade over Hurdman, and I don't want Hurdman,. The tough part is the better options (aside from Lebreton) don't offer any development options to go along with an arena.
10 minutes?!?! What? I dont think you know where this location is, its right beside Lebreton like its touching it. The east west train intersects at the north south train directly on site.... Bayview is a bigger site!!!!

Who cares about bus's the point is the train...... So I assume you prefer Hurdman to Lebreton based on this post or you are just arguing for absolutely no reason.

No established neighbourhoods that already have amenities are not temporary those are gentrified neighbourhoods that have people that can afford to go to games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
10 minutes?!?! What? I dont think you know where this location is, its right beside Lebreton like its touching it. The east west train intersects at the north south train directly on site.... Bayview is a bigger site!!!!

Who cares about bus's the point is the train...... So I assume you prefer Hurdman to Lebreton based on this post or you are just arguing for absolutely no reason.

No established neighbourhoods that already have amenities are not temporary those are gentrified neighbourhoods that have people that can afford to go to games.
Sorry, 10 mins was extra if walking, I didn't make that clear.

I don't care for Hurdman, I thought that was pretty clear. I think it's a subpar option among the worst case of plausible options, I just don't think Bayview adds much to Hurdman is all.

I mentioned the bus because you need the bus to get to the train especially for Hull (you know, the location I mentioned the bus for), I brought up Hull because you pointed to Bayview yards being close to Quebec, but the transit time is what matters. Bus is and always will be part of the equation, but really, it's a bus/train combo for all the numbers I mentioned.

The whole point of getting central is that you don't need to worry about established neighborhoods of people going to games, If you're in Little italy or Hintonberg, you're worst case 30 mins to any of the proposed locations, they'll get those people regardless of where they land and be 10-15 mins from the market by transit. The goal is to make it accessible for everyone.

The big factors are going to be what you can get by developing the location, and the ability to move people to and from. While Riverside isn't ideal now, it has room to expand to get people to the highway, I don't think that option is there for any of the other locations.

It's worth noting that Lebreton has one big advantage over Bayview, access to two stations, splitting ridership between them means you don't have 14k people all going to one station at the same time. Hurdman has this advantage too, with the Lees station a 5 min walk away if ehy put the arena equidistant from the two stations.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Is it a good system?
If there is limited or no parking, as was the plan for rendezvous Lebreton 1.0, the fans will not have much of a choice

Reactions: Senovision

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sorry, 10 mins was extra if walking, I didn't make that clear.

I don't care for Hurdman, I thought that was pretty clear. I think it's a subpar option among the worst case of plausible options, I just don't think Bayview adds much to Hurdman is all.

I mentioned the bus because you need the bus to get to the train especially for Hull (you know, the location I mentioned the bus for), I brought up Hull because you pointed to Bayview yards being close to Quebec, but the transit time is what matters. Bus is and always will be part of the equation, but really, it's a bus/train combo for all the numbers I mentioned.

The whole point of getting central is that you don't need to worry about established neighborhoods of people going to games, If you're in Little italy or Hintonberg, you're worst case 30 mins to any of the proposed locations, they'll get those people regardless of where they land and be 10-15 mins from the market by transit. The goal is to make it accessible for everyone.

The big factors are going to be what you can get by developing the location, and the ability to move people to and from. While Riverside isn't ideal now, it has room to expand to get people to the highway, I don't think that option is there for any of the other locations.

It's worth noting that Lebreton has one big advantage over Bayview, access to two stations, splitting ridership between them means you don't have 14k people all going to one station at the same time. Hurdman has this advantage too, with the Lees station a 5 min walk away if ehy put the arena equidistant from the two stations.
It just makes no sense to compare Bayview to hurdman. It's the same thing as Lebreton. Saying in one breath you like lebreton and not Bayview leaves all logic aside. Comparing Bayview to Hurdman also leaves all logic and reasoning aside. Doesn't matter how many words you use to say it. Bayview and Lebreton are the exact same location essentially. Your argument about having no established neighborhoods vs having them walking distance is equally outrageous. That's part of the appeal of Lansdowne being on bank Street. They're building thousands of units off of Preston right now. All walking distance or one train stop away from Bayview/Lebreton. Same with hinton burgh where there is already infrastructure and restaurants/bars. You've abandoned all reason because you want to argue and you're being stubborn.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3