Lebreton Flats & Potential New Arena Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I was all for the redevelopment of Lansdowne but what it has become is terrible. I worry that This new proposal could go that way at the end of the day.

Lansdowne really looks horrible.

Both presentations look cluttered but in reality there will be voids of space.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Go look at any major arena being built anywhere else in the world, and find me 1 as boring as the 2 in these videos.

As someone that lives in Calgary. The CalgaryNext proposal is way more boring and much lighter on real details than both on these proposals.

Therefore I have no idea what you guys are complaining about. :)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I was all for the redevelopment of Lansdowne but what it has become is terrible. I worry that This new proposal could go that way at the end of the day.

Lansdown is ****ing awesome went to the VIP cinema there recently, its like the first proper movie theatre downtown (not that empire theatre ********).

Mix in a CFL team, and all the jobs it has created for the community with the amount of shops its opened its a sucess and brings so much more to do in boring downtown Ottawa.

And lets not forget WE HAVE A ****ing WHOLE FOODS NOW! Thats really important.
-------

Having Lansdown, the Byward Market, and a redeveloped Lebreton flats that brings a major league sports team and some cool stores/museums i'm actually excited for the future of downtown ottawa.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Wait what's wrong with Lansdowne? I been there a couple of times for a red blacks game and I always come away amazed that we have that in Ottawa.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Which part of Lansdowe looks horrible?

Wait what's wrong with Lansdowne? I been there a couple of times for a red blacks game and I always come away amazed that we have that in Ottawa.
Have either of you been there without a sporting event? Concrete and boxes.

Your typical non game day.

lansdowne_parc2.jpg

shops-and-restaurants-that-are-part-of-the-lansdowne-park-re-e1452886053544.jpeg

lansdowne-park-4_thumb.jpg

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lansdowne is far from horrible.

It's very safe and boring, sterile even (typical North American development really), but I have no idea how you could honestly believe it is horrible.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lansdowne is far from horrible.

It's very safe and boring, sterile even (typical North American development really), but I have no idea how you could honestly believe it is horrible.
The look of it is Horrible. It is a lot better than it was but will at least bring in tax dollars ...Safe, boring, absolutely, sterile, desolate, understatement.

Nothing brings people there on off days. The movie theater was needed in that part of town but other than that there are no draws.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The look of it is Horrible. It is a lot better than it was but will at least bring in tax dollars ...Safe, boring, absolutely, sterile, desolate, understatement.

Nothing brings people there on off days. The movie theater was needed in that part of town but other than that there are no draws.

Its the middle of the winter

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Sen's needed to get better presenters for their project. These two are brutal.

Hopefully they can turn it around. I feel like the message is not getting across, way too confusing.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Landsdowne is fine. I don't like the big corporate box restaurants that are extremely homogenous but they serve their purpose to fit in a bunch of people on game days.

Its a great game day experience. I wish the north side concourse had more room to navigate and wait for concessions but I understand there were limitations with that.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

There is no context to your pictures. The place is also brand new. It's incredibly foolish to write it off so soon... but that's your choice I guess.

Landsdowne is fine. I don't like the big corporate box restaurants that are extremely homogenous but they serve their purpose to fit in a bunch of people on game days.

Its a great game day experience. I wish the north side concourse had more room to navigate and wait for concessions but I understand there were limitations with that.

It's interesting. I stayed in Alexandria, VA and Washington and the lack of commercialization (for lack of a better word) compared to Ottawa was pretty incredible. The city and area was pretty beautiful. One of the main complaints about Lansdowne seems to be 'it's hard to find things because there aren't giant neon flashing signs' and personally - the lack of that is appealing to me.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
2nd question: "I want to hear what Mr. Melynk has to say about all this."

lmao. trying to troll the audience.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
The funny thing is that the people dissing Lansdowne are also probably the ones saying that the downtown is bland and that there's nothing to ever do

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I like both plans xD.

Doesn't matter who wins Melnyk can still jump on board the other if they are willing to let him have the arena.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Isn't there supposed to be a bar with 100 taps opening at some point? That will be a bigger draw than what's currently there.

Whole Foods is also pretty damn busy.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The funny thing is that the people dissing Lansdowne are also probably the ones saying that the downtown is bland and that there's nothing to ever do
Yeah. I actually remember when Downtown "was" bland. Do you?

The problem with Lansdowne are the are the big ass stores. Putting something like an express IKEA would have been better than the furniture store they have now. IKEA is accessible to almost everyone where the store they have there now is geared towards people with a lot more money as an example.

They should have tried to emulate the Market some what but instead it looks more like characterless Lego city. With time it should fill in more but it doesn't change the disconnect with what the Glebe looks like. Walking up and down Bank Street>walking around Lansdowne.

It's easier to find 10 tenants with deep pockets than 25 who would scoff at the high rent prices but would bring in some sorely needed diversity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad