Lebreton Flats & Potential New Arena Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
No real updates. The 4 or 5 groups that got initial approval have been given some money and are working on finalizing all the details of their bids before the NCC decides in early 2016. Most we can hope for until then is some leaks on the details of each plan.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
One of the bidders dropped out, not sure whom, but will likely become public knowledge in due course. The Sens are still probably the favorite, but a lot of risk and uncertainly surrounding things, in particular with Melynk's health.

The biggest risk in some ways, is the NCC itself. There are a ton of moving pieces on this, and there are concerns from many that there will be delays in the process based purely on the indecision of how to proceed. Baird stepping down probably didn't help.

I've also heard there will be a decent asking price on the land (versus it being given / leased for free) and that the Sens land in Kanata is probably not worth as much as some think.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Gotta think there'll be a few leaks over the summer months. The boys at The Sun will be dying for Sens stories and scoops in late July/early August, so....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bid was tendered, still considered to be the major front runner. NCC doesn't decide for another year I believe.

Last I heard (Cyril leader was on TSN 1200 a week or two ago) their RFQ (request for qualifications) was approved, Ottawa being 1 of 4 groups to move on, and they are working on the RFP (request for proposal) which is due in October. Once all the RFPs are submitted, NCC will take it's time evaluating them; RFPs I've been involved in where peanuts in comparison, and took at least a month or two to be evaluated and the results to be made available, mind you those were consultant related rather than real property or whatever this counts as.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
One of the bidders dropped out, not sure whom, but will likely become public knowledge in due course. The Sens are still probably the favorite, but a lot of risk and uncertainly surrounding things, in particular with Melynk's health.

The biggest risk in some ways, is the NCC itself. There are a ton of moving pieces on this, and there are concerns from many that there will be delays in the process based purely on the indecision of how to proceed. Baird stepping down probably didn't help.

I've also heard there will be a decent asking price on the land (versus it being given / leased for free) and that the Sens land in Kanata is probably not worth as much as some think.

I hope it's not Clareridge that dropped out...that did such a bang up job on the condo's at LF (not to mention many of their other uncreative ventures in Ottawa), that they surely don't have a chance in hell of winning. (thus strengthening the chances of the Sens/Windmill winning)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I hope it's not Clareridge that dropped out...that did such a bang up job on the condo's at LF (not to mention many of their other uncreative ventures in Ottawa), that they surely don't have a chance in hell of winning. (thus strengthening the chances of the Sens/Windmill winning)

Agreed.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
There is a lot of red tape to do anything in Ottawa that involves building or even bidding on the right to bid to build. It is frustrating, but it is a good sign they are doing it now. By the time they won and built it, the CTC would need to be replaced. The CTC will hold out for awhile still. It is not an old building compared to most of the league.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Yes but unfortunately Claridge has the NCC in their back pocket how do you think they end up with all the prime locations.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Funny how people forget that LF arena is at least 10 years away assuming it's approved.

But approval is huge. The impact on the city of a downtown arena would be big. A huge impact on the Senators and the fans but also for other events that could take place downtown.

It's a long term project, no doubt but right now we have no idea, we're in limbo.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
According to an NCC release, the groups that have been accepted are:

RendezVous LeBreton Group, which represents the Ottawa Senators, proposed "a major event centre for sports and entertainment performances, complemented by green spaces, and residential and commercial developments."
Claridge Homes, which proposed "indoor and outdoor concert facilities, cultural enterprises surrounded by green spaces, and residential and commercial developments."
Devcore Group, which proposed "a concept with multiple cultural institutions developed around an grand allée, green spaces, and residential and commercial developments."
Focus Equities, which proposed "to house the headquarters of an international organization, accompanied by cultural venues, green spaces, and residential and commercial developments."

High-quality design proposals and financial plans must be submitted by November 2015.

SenatorArmy*

This is just kind of a random thought but have any of these groups considered complimenting their proposed projects with green spaces?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nah, by the time the thing is built, people will go nutso on the evils of wasting water on luxury greenspace while Cali turns back into a desert.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is just kind of a random thought but have any of these groups considered complimenting their proposed projects with green spaces?

I hear Claridge's plan is to just spray paint all the rooms in the residential developments green. They've already made a purchase order for 2500 crates of spray paint.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
All proposed plans included green space areas. IMO arenas and other facilities look much better when there is parks and walkways included around them. CTC looks like absolute crap tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad