News Article: Leblanc's struggles in Hamilton

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I have no idea what happened to Palushaj, but he's finally showing his lack of promise in the AHL now.

The problem is the young defence. Replacing Henry, Fitzgerald and Stafford with rookies is going to hurt. You won't win at any level doing that.

The defense has shown promise though...even Beaulieu who gets a lot of criticism around here is a net positive IMO. But the forwards are atrocious, yes part of it is a bad mix of a lack of talent and a lack of experience, but you don't need to be an expert to find some of Lefebvre's usage baffling.

Too bad it's practically not even the same team so your argument is irrelevant...

The team was even worse last year on paper, especially when Leblanc spent a big part of the season in the NHL. Probably the best Bulldogs forward last year with Endqvist, who is reviled on this board.

On the defensive end they had ECHLers like Mitera and Stejskal. In net Desjardins was supposed to be a big step up this year.

Last edited:

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
Leblanc not as good as people think, thats the problem. Only drafted cause thats what media wanted in first round...

Myron Gaines*

I have no idea what happened to Palushaj, but he's finally showing his lack of promise in the AHL now.

The problem is the young defence. Replacing Henry, Fitzgerald and Stafford with rookies is going to hurt. You won't win at any level doing that.

I think their defense has gotten by just fine in these circumstances. Their offense on the other end...

I've never seen a team so uninspired offensively.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
1) consider the source, is it reliable - I for one do not know

2) what is leblanc's work ethic like? since the nhl players were locked out, you figure habs management new or had seen early on what was going on in Hamilton.

Usually, where there is smoke there is fire. To early to jump on the coaching staff at this point

98,5 fm is usually reliable but you are right: they did not name their sources. They only mentioned "two people close to the case".

I really hope this is not true... especially the elastics part!

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
98,5 fm is usually reliable but you are right: they did not name their sources. They only mentioned "two people close to the case".

Most likely his parents or family members.. just speculation tough.

Btw leblanc is better than is lack of polish indicates, hockey goes way beyond that... guy as lots of hockey sense and underated skill, what he needs to do is improve skating not break the kid...

68*

Look at the post by HZ below.
I remember Pednault talking about it on TVA during a game earlier in the year. Apparently they practiced for hours one-on-one with him on his skating stride.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Leblanc played in the nhl last year due to injuries and most likely the fact that the brass wanted to give him a look.

The question no one is asking : what was expected of him over the summer and did he deliver?

I doubt management would leave a blue chip prospect go thru this apparent hell without keeping a close eye on him

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Leblanc not as good as people think, thats the problem. Only drafted cause thats what media wanted in first round...

Well the logical pick if not Leblanc, Krieder, has done nothing since being overhyped in the Rangers playoff run. In hindsight we should have drafted Silfverberg, but nobody knew that.

I don't think Leblanc is anything special, but he looked better in the NHL last year than the AHL right now.

68*

I was thinking about his agent but dad and mom make sense! ;)

EDIT:

Pee-wee stuff... no?

Yeah I'd be furious if I was Leblanc and my confidence would be shattered.

Where is Martin Lapointe? His job is to talk to our prospects and to see if everything is OK.

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
I've been very vocal about Habs asset management, which is simply the worst in the NHL, but I know a few Bulldogs season ticket holders here on HF and was at the Boxing day game in Toronto(Leblanc finished the game with 4 shots and was a +2 ). I remember thinking how good and poised Leblanc looked, even saw the training staff encouraging him so I personally think Filosa is full of it, but what the heck do I know ... Leblanc is having one of those 'off seasons' in the minor BUT he is on a dramatically weak team.

I agree with Guy Carboneau who said on l'antichambre that Leblanc's game is much more suited to the NHL vs the AHL which has gone full defense this year. The Bulldogs found themselves with a way too young rookie core for the league and suffered horribly for it . The setup guys on the bulldogs have had a horrible year to put it simply, Hamilton has no experienced puck moving Defenceman and the current D core won't have a single guy crack 30 points in the AHL this year, that is very very very bad.

I am still convinced this guy can play on a second line in the NHL, unless his ankle too a turn for the 'Chipchuresque' worst.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

But he's not been given a chance to get better!

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember most pre-draft lists had him going near where he was actually drafted. It wasn't an off-the-board Mark Jankowski pick.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
"Right now, he does not sleep. He is worried for the rest of his career. He believes that the Habs no longer believes in him and he could even be traded shortly. He feels that it has been abandoned. I think this is a real slap in the face for not inviting him to camp. They are being demolished. "

I did a google translate, is this even accurate?

Elverpond

Sep 21, 2011
eff, i shouldve been paying closer attention to hamilton, had no idea this was going on. Do we not have absolute power over hamilton or wtf is going on here? :facepalm:

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
"Right now, he does not sleep. He is worried for the rest of his career. He believes that the Habs no longer believes in him and he could even be traded shortly. He feels that it has been abandoned. I think this is a real slap in the face for not inviting him to camp. They are being demolished. "

I did a google translate, is this even accurate?

It is.

They also mentioned "... we tell him to confront them, to defend himself but Louis is not the kind of guy who makes waves..."

I can't believe how many people actually believe this :laugh:

I just noticed that the article was written by Jeremy Filosa / 98,5 Sports. He is not reliable?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
yeah such a loss to lose Willsie and Enqvist, I mean without those two stars how can a team of upcoming talent ever dream at posting a successful season :shakehead

Well first of all they had veterans like Henry, Stafford, Mitera and Joe Callahan on defense. They've replaced them with Tinordi, Ellis, Pateryn and Beaulieu; all rookies. As much as you want to diminish Engqvist and Willsie's roles on those teams, they were still players that have a quite a lot mileage and the most important: they've produced at the AHL level before! The team didn't sign anybody this season à la Jason Krog, Keith Aucoin, Alexandre Picard, Yannick Lehoux, etc. to fill that role on a team filled with rookies. Instead they relied on players like Palushaj, Geoffrion to carry the load offensively for a team with 4 rookies (Holland, Bournival, Quailer and Gallagher) up front in their top 9. One is injured, one might never play hockey ever again and the other one is struggling hard. So tell me how the hell this team is a replica of last year's.

:shakehead

68*

He's having a bad year in Hamilton, a team doing badly in the AHL.

Gallagher went from scoring 41 goals in 56 games in the WHL, to 10 in 36 games. I guess we should make a mountain out of a molehill of him too? Look! He was smiling at Habs training camp! Clearly he is happy to be out of Hamilton, away from Lefebvre!

Don't compare the two.

36-10-10-20, that's not bad for a small guy adjusting to a new, tougher and more physical league.

Leblanc went from 22 points in 31 in his rookie season in the AHL, playing decently with limited time in the NHL, to 5 points in 24 games in the AHL for his second season.

Is it because of the ankle injury or the situation described in this article? Who knows.

Myron Gaines*

But he's not been given a chance to get better!

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember most pre-draft lists had him going near where he was actually drafted. It wasn't an off-the-board Mark Jankowski pick.

Leblanc was a concensus top 15 pick in that draft, I had absolutely no problem in Timmins drafting him even if there was a lot of pressure because he was Quebecois, all I heard were good things from him.

What's really hindered his development is the lack of hockey he's played in the last 3 years. Spent a year in Harvard in a system not ideal for his development, then played with the brand new Montreal Junior with injury issues if I recall correctly. Then he played in Hamilton last year and did fairly well, but played very little when called up to Montreal, while still having injury issues.

Now on top of that, he's playing 3rd line minutes in the AHL with no PP and injured himself again. It's tough to reach your potential when you don't play quality minutes with a quality team and you're not healthy. His physical condition must be worked on too. He's play much better at centre too, but he's been converted to wing for some reason.

Despite that, I think he has very good upside, but a mixture of injury issues and mismanagement has hurt him considerably. His hockey IQ is high, has soft hands, good speed, a natural high compete level and good vision. One thing that's a knock on him is that while having great work ethic, I have the feeling that he's kind of a wuss and feels sorry for himself when he faces adversity. Lacks character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad