Post-Game Talk: Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'm ok with a kid line as long as it gets minutes and doesn't get buried (like it did tonite).

But yeah I would absolutely go

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Trocheck - Vesey
Goodrow - Rydahl - Gauthier
Would love to see these lines. Nice and balanced.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
lol

Please trade some expensive contracts and get some more kids.

Hey dummy, New Jersey is winning with their kids on PP1. You won't sit Kreider "because you want to win a Cup." Take a look around.
NJ has Jack Hughes and they don't have established vets who have been an important part of a PP that has been near the top of the league the last 2-3 years.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I'm ok with a kid line as long as it gets minutes and doesn't get buried (like it did tonite).

But yeah I would absolutely go

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Trocheck - Vesey
Goodrow - Rydahl - Gauthier

And if you pick up a RW at the deadline, it's Vesey to the 4th, Krav to the 3rd, the RW to the 2nd, Gauthier to the press box.
This makes too much sense

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
It's impressive that Kreider managed to look so terrible in limited ice time.

This loss is on Gallant. Kid line was buzzing all night, and scored your only goals. Panarin was a turnover machine all night and lazily defending. Who's out there to start OT? Completely tone-deaf decision-making down the stretch and in OT. This is how you lose locker rooms. You spout off about accountability and earning your ice time, but when it really comes down to it, you're full of shit.

100%. There is no better way to deflate the kids by showing them that no matter how much better they play than everyone else they are going to be stapled to the bench in crunch time. And no better way to keep the vets unmotivated by letting them know that no matter how crappy they play they will still get their chance to be the heroes.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Drury looked annoyed. His team isn’t good enough and there isn't much he can do. Too much money.

It's largely his own damn fault.

NJ has Jack Hughes and they don't have established vets who have been an important part of a PP that has been near the top of the league the last 2-3 years.

And we have the player drafted right behind Jack Hughes and another 1OA who was better than Hughes coming out.

And NJ's power play has ascended, while ours, manned by 30 year olds nearing decline, has descended.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
'What's the worst that can happen!' The second cousin of 'lets call up a youngster to showcase him'. Aka things that are said on message boards 1000000x more times than in real life.

"Things that coaches foolishly refuse to do because most of them are dinosaurs from a different era" for 1000?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
It's comeback season in the NHL — why have so many multi-goal leads turned into losses?

It's not just us. We're in an era of lacrosse scores (I know it was 3-2 last night but the point stands).

We can't hold ourselves to standard of prime Lundqvist in the middle of a scoring dessert in 2012.
Fair points.

Perhaps attempting to fix our 5v5 scoring woes instead of focusing on #tuffness is the answer then. Feel like every coach we’ve had since Lundqvist came onto the scene lucked into a generational talent at goaltender, and immediately shifted their coaching philosophy to “let’s just ride the goaltender and do *just enough* offensively to get us over the hump”. Surprisingly, we still stink 5v5 and it’s our Achilles heel.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
They have a Norris winner, a vezina winner, a Hart winner they get half effort from, a top all around center and a 50 goal winger. Not to mention 1st round draft picks of ours throughout the lineup. We would’ve killed to have any of those guys in the Henrik era. Gallant is not getting enough out of this team. We should at minimum be 1st in the metro when you look at the teams from a talent perspective.

Kreider isn't really a 50 goal winger, though.

He's a 25 goal winger who had an outlier career year that will not ever be replicated again.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
I say scratch Kreider tomorrow and let him get a head start on getting 100% and his head straight with the long layoff for the stretch run. Then flip his spot with Vesey's semi-permanently.

Reactions: Ruggs225

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
On Matt Painter's radio show a caller asked him what goes into his lineup decisions. He recalled a few years ago when they started the season 6-5 and all the noise he heard was that he HAD TO reduce Grady Eifert's minutes. Eifert was a guy who previously rode the bench for 3 years. In this, his senior year, he would go on to play 25 mpg and average 5 ppg. VERY modest production. But in Painter's mind Eifert was the LAST guy who deserved to have his minutes reduced. He was doing everything asked of him.

The moral: Message boarders aren't coaches and points schmoints.

Edit: unless you think Painter should be fired too.
Citing a college basketball coach who at one time got a decision right over the fans isn't exactly proof of anything related to the NY Rangers currently.

you are overstating the amount of talent. Panarin is not a hart level player anymore, Zibanejad is not one of the top centers in the NHL and Kreider isn't a 50-goal scorer. If you compare the Rangers top-6 to all the other top teams in the East, they really don't match up. Tampa, Boston, Toronto, NJ, even Pittsburgh still have better top of the lineups. carolina might not on paper but they play a certain way that doesn't rely on having elite talent. Gallant has no control over the goalie.

Sad but true. I am not a huge fan of Gallant because he's refused to develop the kids properly but the GM is culpable for the fact that our forwards are not and have never been good enough compared to the top teams in the league and yet he chose the path that would ensure it stays that way forever.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fair points.

Perhaps attempting to fix our 5v5 scoring woes instead of focusing on #tuffness is the answer then. Feel like every coach we’ve had since Lundqvist came onto the scene lucked into a generational talent at goaltender, and immediately shifted their coaching philosophy to “let’s just ride the goaltender and do *just enough* offensively to get us over the hump”. Surprisingly, we still stink 5v5 and it’s our Achilles heel.
We definitely need to improve our scoring. We're not in a shutdown league right now. We're in a "put teams away" league.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Scoring is the main issue.

I hear the criticisms of Panarin but there's like 15, 20 guys, even right now, that you could swap Panarin for and our scoring would get better. And none of them are available.

We're not rebuilding again. It's not even worth discussing right now. We're better off trying to get the most out of what we have which is why many have focused on the coach.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
That unit did change. The replaced strome with trocheck. And strome was a much better passer and playmaker than trocheck.

Its not the same personnel and i think it really is affecting them. They arent dominant at all anymore.

So gallant should at least try something new. He can always, and probably will, go back to the original formula.

Also, just bc something is good, doesnt mean it cant be better

I prefer Trocheck to Strome on this team. Strome was almost universally hated here last season. Didn't expect him to be missed.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I prefer Trocheck to Strome on this team. Strome was almost universally hated here last season. Didn't expect him to be missed.
I didn't mind Strome.

I hated Panarin-Strome and I was the first to say Panarin was the bad influence in that combo.

That being said, my issue isn't replacing Strome with Trocheck. My issue is not replacing Strome with Chytil and the responsibility that goes along with that.

He's at least just as good as Trocheck at this point and I would hate to lose him.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If you are any of the young forwards, why would you even want to stay here and play for a team that overlooks you for guys doing less but getting more opportunity purely because they were born first?
Because those "vets" earned those spots for some years now? Because the kids will eventually be there some day? They are paying their dues and keeping their goals/assists and points DOWN, so they don't/can't command huge salary raises?
Yeah, no wonder we don't win cups, but it's not the organizations fault. They never had #1's and #2's, so they don't know HOW to develop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad