Post-Game Talk: Leafts lose in OT despite Matthews breaking records.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
JVR will pick it up (and I'm a huge critic of his). Once JVR-Bozie-Mitch get going we should have three dangerous lines. And while none will set the world on fire defensively, all are competent. Get some big saves when needed and this team could be a lot of fun.

Nah

JVR just doesn't have that "umph"

Or whatever you wanna call it. I feel like he'll crumble with competition around instead of thriving.

Just my gut. Never been a fan. Kessel passenger imho

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Sorry if this has been posted already but I thought it was hilarious. I'm still in shock at how much attention is being paid to a Leafs player.:handclap:

thumb.aspx

Link: http://shop.nhl.com/Toronto_Maple_L...eafs_Auston_Matthews_Royal_Four_Goals_T-Shirt

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Check this out guys: https://theenergyline.wordpress.com/2016/10/13/ott-5-tor-4-10122016/

Keep an eye out for Marner, Kadri, Matthews and Nylander. Then look for Rielly, Gardiner. Some great stats from there in there, check out expecially zone exits and zone entries.

Basically: Marner and Kadri ran their lines and did a lot of zone exits and zone entries relative to their linemates. So it seems like a good thing maybe to keep them on different lines? But it worries me that Kadri doesn't have the talent surrounding him in the offensive zone (Komarov and Michalek) and that Marner doesn't have the talent surrounding him in the defensive zone (Bozak and JVR).

Interesting to note that Marincin only had 1 icing, yet I recall people saying 'Marincin keeps icing the puck, take him off!'. Recency bias I guess with his 2 bad plays and 1 icing that game. Rielly and Gardiner (lead the team with 7 compared to 2nd best Rielly's 4) were great on the zone exits and transition, although Rielly had 3 failed attempts.

Last edited:

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

This is awesome.

When I was young there was no video streams yet. I used to get up in the middle of night to listen to the games on radio stream.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Check this out guys: https://theenergyline.wordpress.com/2016/10/13/ott-5-tor-4-10122016/

Keep an eye out for Marner, Kadri, Matthews and Nylander. Then look for Rielly, Gardiner. Some great stats from there in there, check out expecially zone exits and zone entries.

Basically: Marner and Kadri ran their lines and did a lot of zone exits and zone entries relative to their linemates. So it seems like a good thing maybe to keep them on different lines? But it worries me that Kadri doesn't have the talent surrounding him in the offensive zone (Komarov and Michalek) and that Marner doesn't have the talent surrounding him in the defensive zone (Bozak and JVR).

Interesting to note that Marincin only had 1 icing, yet I recall people saying 'Marincin keeps icing the puck, take him off!'. Recency bias I guess with his 2 bad plays and 1 icing that game. Rielly and Gardiner (lead the team with 7 compared to 2nd best Rielly's 4) were great on the zone exits and transition, although Rielly had 3 failed attempts.

Not to be nit-picky but the first 2 charts have TOR labelled as MTL. Tons of information there though, needs to be better processed and elaborated upon.

For example, look at the zone exits by side. The Marincin - Rielly pairing exited the defensive zone 2.5x more from Rielly's side than Marincin's. Similar things happening with the Zaitsev and Hunwick pair, though I wonder how the tabulation went after Hunwick left the game.

Last edited:

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
They sure as heck weren't equally at fault for losing the game though.

The entire leaf roster with the exception of mattews line is equally at fault for not potting matthews the fifth goal.

Im not putting all the blame on anderson over a loss on a team sport.

Leaf fans are ridiculous.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
The entire leaf roster with the exception of mattews line is equally at fault for not potting matthews the fifth goal.

Im not putting all the blame on anderson over a loss on a team sport.

Leaf fans are ridiculous.

Nothing new under the sun.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

This is awesome.

When I was young there was no video streams yet. I used to get up in the middle of night to listen to the games on radio stream.

Haha me too! I think I was like 13 or 14 by that time. When I was tired of stream hunting (which were terrible anyway) I just turned on AM640 I guess, and listened to the game, and than I went to high school with the first bus. :laugh:
Btw on Sundin's big night there was no stream and the radio didn't work either, so I was just sitting there refreshing the nhl.com scoresheet every minute. Especially when the game went to OT. When it showed Sundin scored the GWG I just couldn't believe it. :laugh:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

This is awesome.

Damn, I miss his voice. Never understood why people don't like him.

Would take him over any commentator today easily.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

This is awesome.

That was great. I'd pay a premium to watch Leaf games with Bowen announcing, not getting my hopes up that will happen soon though.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Damn, I miss his voice. Never understood why people don't like him.

Would take him over any commentator today easily.

I so very much agree. I did a little scouting of the Bruins, so, I watched the Bs and Columbus, so Jack Edwards is calling the play and it's the first game of the season and a forward checks someone into the boards and Edwards is all like INCREDIBLE FANTASTIC HIT BLAH BLAH BLAH, then, Marchand scores after a deke or two (a good play definitely) and Edwards makes it sound like it was the Stanley cup winning goal and it's just game one. Bowen has excitement A TON OF EXCITEMENT and maybe he does exaggerate a bit, but it always seems a bit more like a proportionate response. If indeed it's a FANTASTIC play, then fine. Some plays are worthy of those superlatives and Joe reserves the excitement for the right time - but, we may be biased certainly.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I so very much agree. I did a little scouting of the Bruins, so, I watched the Bs and Columbus, so Jack Edwards is calling the play and it's the first game of the season and a forward checks someone into the boards and Edwards is all like INCREDIBLE FANTASTIC HIT BLAH BLAH BLAH, then, Marchand scores after a deke or two (a good play definitely) and Edwards makes it sound like it was the Stanley cup winning goal and it's just game one. Bowen has excitement A TON OF EXCITEMENT and maybe he does exaggerate a bit, but it always seems a bit more like a proportionate response. If indeed it's a FANTASTIC play, then fine. Some plays are worthy of those superlatives and Joe reserves the excitement for the right time - but, we may be biased certainly.

Jack Edwards is a mouthbreathing chud who has no idea what he's looking at. He is, hands down, the worst announcer in the NHL.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Jack Edwards is a mouthbreathing chud who has no idea what he's looking at. He is, hands down, the worst announcer in the NHL.

Gotta go with Dean Brown here. Talks through his nose, and sounds like Ferris Bueller's friend imitating his dad. Horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad