Post-Game Talk: Leafts lose in OT despite Matthews breaking records.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Andersen needs a serious bounce back game saturday.

If the kids are putting up performances like that you can't deflate your team by playing that bad.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
How can a person see one regular season game from a goaltender and come to such ludacrous conclusions. It's so stupid to me.

Yes he sucked last night he let in two really bad goals that cost us the game in the end. Does it make it a bad trade and signing? No not even close. If this continues over his first 10 or so starts then yes it will look pretty effing terrible.

The guy hasn't had a proper training camp and just came off a shoulder injury, but none of that matters right? It was ONE game people there is no rational way to make these type of conclusions on any player after 60-62 minutes of play.

Let's all just relax here, we just came off a thrilling night for the kids and Matthews in particular. Some players player terribly sure but again it's game freaking 1 of 82, some of you jump over that ledge wayyyyyy too easily.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by X66 View Post
Anyone that is defending andersen needs to stop, he plopped a big egg and that's all there is to it.

Now obviously we need to be patient with him because it's a new team and system etc and we will be...but don't defend yesterday. 4 stoppable goals, make one of them.
-------------------------------------------------

Exactly! Andersen was dreadful against the Habs in pre-season, and, again last night against the Sens.

No excuses!

How the hell does Andersen, at 6'4", look smaller than Bernier in net?

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Easily the most Leaf-y thing I've ever seen.

Break a record, still lose. Poor Matthews.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dominic Moore posted a 63 GP 12 G 29 A 41 PT season for us in 2008-09, while being a decent middle six player on a team with zero skill. So while comparing Kadri to Moore isn't supposed to be a compliment, that is actually the player Kadri seems to be for us.

If you're looking to compare based on one single partial career year for Moore, then compare it to Kadri being a ppg player int he lockout season.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Read the last couple pages of the last thread... and holy **** the over-reactions.

It's one thing to be excited about Matthews, but we are already calling Kadri a Dominic Moore and Andersen a flop product of the Ducks system... after one game!

Everyone needs to seriously relax.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would rather give Kadri a more skilled winger than Michalek to play with.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander - Obvs
JVR - Kadri - Komarov - Kadri needs a skilled winger, and I think JVR/Bozak don't mesh well
Michalek - Bozak - Marner - Bozak/Marner seem to have chemistry. Michalek can be the defensive focus, but can chip in offensively as well
Martin - Holland/Griffith - Brown - Obvs

I love the top and bottom lines.

The middle six need some juggling

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Kadri was fine IMO. Bozak is where I see a potential problems. I do not want him flubbing on those excellent Marner feeds.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
The same people calling Andersen this big bust of a trade will be calling him a god if he turns around and throws up a 0 next game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's funny because you're exactly the kind of person who would say Couturier does nothing. The same criticisms that are being brought Kadri's way for how he played last night are the same things that people have said about Couturier. A lot of people hold the fact that he has never broken 40 points over his head, despite the fact that Couturier receives zone starts and linemates similar to what Kadri had last night. And the people that defend Couturier use the same arguments in his favour that were being used for Kadri, such as possession numbers and other advanced statistics.

Couturier was groomed in a defensive role since he broke into the league and is a 6'3" 200 plus pound center with wingspan and power. Without talking specifically about Couturier because I don't think we could obtain him, that's a physical profile Kadri doesn't have.

smpo11

May 30, 2006
Kadri matched up against the Sens top line last night and had a 68% Corsi. He had a good game. He's been a better checking line center than Couturier.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The same people calling Andersen this big bust of a trade will be calling him a god if he turns around and throws up a 0 next game.

I don't think he'll be a bust and still think he'll work out well for us, but there is no denying that he was the main reason the kids didn't get rewarded with at W last night.

You can see his talent though, when he's making saves you can see just how much net he covers and that he's pretty agile etc.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
1984 1st overall pick, Mario's 1st game: strips HHOF Ray Bourque of the puck to score a goal (future HHOF at the time)

2016 1st overall pick, Auston's 1st game: strips future HHOF Erik Karlsson of the puck to score a goal

:sarcasm:

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Kadri matched up against the Sens top line last night and had a 68% Corsi. He had a good game. He's been a better checking line center than Couturier.

shhhhh. your pro-kadri logic and facts have no place in here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Easily the most Leaf-y thing I've ever seen.

Break a record, still lose. Poor Matthews.

Its a shame Matthews evening was spoiled and overshadowed by soft goaltending and weak defense.

What is even more remarkable is that Matthews the first thing he did when interviewed post game was take full blame and accountability for the Sens OT goal despite scoring all of Leafs goals himself.

That is outstanding player character showing maturity well beyond his years by coming from a rookie in his 1st NHL game when he just broke and NHL record as best first game performance of all time.

The "C" will be on his jersey in time.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

JVR - Kadri - Komarov - Kadri needs a skilled winger, and I think JVR/Bozak don't mesh well
Michalek - Bozak - Marner - Bozak/Marner seem to have chemistry. Michalek can be the defensive focus, but can chip in offensively as well

I wouldn't mind seeing this. I wouldn't mind Komarov being designated to the third/fourth line... but his compete and two-way game would fit on Kadri's checking line.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Don is gonna love the Matthews celebration for his fourth goal. WHAT A BEAUTY

"see that kids, we don't celebrate, the only thing that would have been better would be for him to have immediately skated to the bench. That's how we did it back in my day, the only smile we cracked was once after we won the cup"

Kagunoshi

Jul 23, 2009
Toronto
ya know whats really crazy about this team... its not even 100% healthy. Guys like Michalek (sp?) and other players of that nature are gonna be supplanted by Soshnikov and Leivo who in my opinion are better esp Sosh... This guy is lethal just imagine adding him to the Kadri line with Komarov, we will quickly have one of the best forward corps in the NHL. Can't wait for Kapanen in particular as well. Defense should be our main priority for an upgrade and with such a stocked cupboard of assets we should be able to get a number 1/2 dman through the draft or through trade.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I just rewatched the goals and what gets me is the hatty goal. Rielly was looking for matthews all the way down the ice and did all that so matthews could get his hatty. Really hope rielly gets his C. I know matthews is a contender for the C but Rielly is just an amazing dude.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Actually I really like these lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad