Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What I like about Nylander's goal, that's a confidence snipe, perfect shot, calmly taken.

Didn't love Marner tonight, but in the end he's still a difference maker. That's rare.

Gauthier has actually looked good the last few, tonight in particular.... used his body and had good legs.

Matthews, it's still a question if he has another gear. Playoffesque game, big game, same Auston. That's the only question mark on his job description "big game player?"

Just give Tavares the C, it's the right thing to do.
Marner also had a beautiful pass to muzzin who proceeded to ring it off the post

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Although that is true I don’t think this team can just turn it up a notch whenever they feel like it. Last year in the playoffs it took them a couple of games to suddenly show up and by them it was basically too late. Hopefully we don’t see a repeat of last year where they play tentatively and get run over in game 1.

I wish I could say I had faith but I don't. There is a fundamental flaw on this roster and it is lack of heart which looks like lack of work ethic to most fans. Only thing we can do is hope that in the room, the conversation is to just stay healthy and keep our spot in the division and they'll ramp it up when they need to.

I imagine it's hard to stay motivated to play well when you are basically locked into your spot at the end of the year in December.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I said it too, on paper their roster isn’t really a playoff team.

But they are getting a lot out of a mostly grinder lineup. Their coaching and system is really great and suits their roster.

They earn most every goal they score, for sure. I thought Weber might lose another step coming off of injury but he is playing some good hockey, and he's been productive as well.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
This is nonsense. Matthews does plenty of work along the boards. One shift he dumped it in, skated past three Habs and picked up the puck after absorbing a hit, and finally passed it back to the point only for Gardiner to miss it and have it come out again. Marleau did absolutely nothing all game and has had maybe two or three good games all season long. By all rights he should be down on the 3rd or 4th line.

Yeah he's such a useless *checks notes* 4th highest scoring forward on the team.

If you wanna applaud his season this year... Have at er. Id ask you to up your expectations :) he's been garbage 70% if the time and not many would disagree

Reactions: Erdinger

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I can’t remember who said it during the broadcast but they were 100% right about Nylander. He was not ready or in shape to play when he came back this season, but now he is starting to looking like the William Nylander that we need.

Great game last night. Felt like a playoff game, can’t wait for more.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Since I can't stand the Habs and lifelong diehard Leaf fan dating back to the 1960s, it makes Montreal wins the sweetest of all victories for me.

You're a trooper Mess. I've suffered through only one decade of garbage and Shanny extending Carlyle was close to the final straw...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I can’t remember who said it during the broadcast but they were 100% right about Nylander. He was not ready or in shape to play when he came back this season, but now he is starting to looking like the William Nylander that we need.

Nylander was doing what he is supposed to last night and coming in for a bit now.
What worries me is guys around Marner/Nylander/Kappy doing theirs.

Montreal skated head first at us and took the body on many occasions. Even during puck battles they would use their bodies/shoulders to knock us off balance.
We are far too passive on battles.

Reactions: Duffman955

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He’s not the on that new contract yet. Seriously we need to wait until the contract starts before we start complaining about what he’s paid.
No one is complaining yet, the point is that if he is deserving of it, then he should be playing to that level, regardless of when the new contract starts.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Really hard to do anything about it though. Coaches and former players were saying all along that he'll have a tough time coming back, but what can you do? You could have let him practice for two-three weeks before inserting him in the lineup, but I think that would likely just mean it took him longer to get back and all we get for it is a nicer stats line for him. Besides, it's a self-inflicted situation. He decided to take this to the last minute, and he reaped the consequences.

No one is complaining yet, the point is that if he is deserving of it, then he should be playing to that level, regardless of when the new contract starts.
He got the contract based on what he did over his ELC, and that was playing at a Malkinesque level. Nobody plays at that level all the time though. Even guys like Crosby has stretches where he doesn't like his best self.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nylander was doing what he is supposed to last night and coming in for a bit now.
What worries me is guys around Marner/Nylander/Kappy doing theirs.

Montreal skated head first at us and took the body on many occasions. Even during puck battles they would use their bodies/shoulders to knock us off balance.
We are far too passive on battles.

Yep. This is it exactly. We play 5 on 5 like a pk. No one engages in the corners or actually battles for a puck.

They cannot for the life of them get to a puck thrown around the boards.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think the comment I heard the most last night was "(Habs player) with a big hit on (Leafs player)".

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Really hard to do anything about it though. Coaches and former players were saying all along that he'll have a tough time coming back, but what can you do? You could have let him practice for two-three weeks before inserting him in the lineup, but I think that would likely just mean it took him longer to get back and all we get for it is a nicer stats line for him. Besides, it's a self-inflicted situation. He decided to take this to the last minute, and he reaped the consequences.

He got the contract based on what he did over his ELC, and that was playing at a Malkinesque level. Nobody plays at that level all the time though. Even guys like Crosby has stretches where he doesn't like his best self.
You have taken my quote out of context. I replied initially to a post that said we need to get better players for Matthews. I simply said, that the contract he signed assumes he can carry his own line. Which is, more than a fair ask for the second highest player in the league.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Poor Hughson must be very upset today lol. It's getting so in future I may actually mute HNIC (hard to do after 45 years as a fan). He just LOVES to take little jabs at Matthews. Was quick to point out Matthews lost the draw on the first goal. I think it was a few weeks back at one point Matthews' line was going off on a change and he says something like "Matthews going off, nothing doing on that shift". It is so obvious his dislike and disdain its hard to listen to. Thankfully our team is good enough that we get to hear that "my puppy just died" tone in his voice when the Leafs win yet again ALOT :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're a trooper Mess. I've suffered through only one decade of garbage and Shanny extending Carlyle was close to the final straw...

When its been 6 decades of cheering and counting with Zero Stanley Cup final appearances its tests your intestinal fortitude and makes one a little more cynical and scrutinizing your own team more closely because you've seen this story before.

My first Leafs vs Montreal memories and arch rival days had Red Kelly sent out to check Jean Beliveau, while my favourite player Davey Keon lead the charge for the Leafs.

I loved the Leafs teams of the 1970's (post Keon) when Darryl Sittler was my Fav and with McDonald, Salming, Turnbull and Palmateer in net I had great hope, but those damn Habs teams were a dynasty and lost very few games and won many Cups with Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson and Ken Dryden.

Things are pretty exciting right now as a Leaf fan, my biggest fear being too rich of contracts costing the Leafs in competitiveness when every dollar counts in a Cap World.

But nothing beats a Leafs victory of the Habs to put a temporary smile on my face.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Holy, the Habs Mod that was in our pre-game/GDT earlier is so salty.

Thinks the Leafs aren't an elite team, talk about salt...

3rd in the NHL in points percentage
Tied for 2nd in goal differential

We're better than them at every position and are now after Muzzin are elite in every position.

Too much salt in a fun game.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Man Habs fans are really feeling themselves eh? Two points back with two more games played. Good for them, I'd be excited too. But their goal differential on the season is +10, meanwhile ours is at +41 for second best in the league. Teams aren't in the same tier. They're getting some solid production from Domi, Drouin, and Danault, and Weber looks rejuvenated. But Price had a .955 or something through like 10 games coming into this one. Hutton had a similar streak and Buffalo won 10 games straight off that. They'll go as far as Price takes them because they just don't have that much else, which is fine. Their forwards are young and Kotka looks like a gamer. But maybe pump the brakes a bit.

It's expectations. That team wasn't expected to be in this position. The same could be said for Leafs nation the year after we drafted Matthews. Washington put us in our place though so hopefully we do the same to the Habs.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Great game, what a finish by Tavares and Marner. And that goal by Nylander was so important, we were losing ground before that and when their goal came, I thought we were in big trouble. After Willy's equalizer, we were flying out there.

But man, that must have been the worst game I've ever seen Kadri play. He looked like Willy did his first few games, couldn't win a puck battle or complete a pass to save his life.

Agreed. That should be a goal, and it was.

It would be great. I've spent the better part of the last two seasons talking about how underrated Petry and your forwards are. With Price back in shape and Weber back from injury, you are where you belong in my opinion. Like us, you just have to find a way to get your PP in order.

Edit: Man, I need to start proofreading before I post.
Edit 2: Yup.
Is it true Kadri grew up as a Habs fan? If so that would explain why he was passing the puck to the Canadiens all night...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Do people just repeat lines like this and think they'll come true?

He did not and has not EVER performed on the level of ELC Malkin.

Reactions: dsred

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Do people just repeat lines like this and think they'll come true?

He did not and has not EVER performed on the level of ELC Malkin.

Matthews even strength production was right there with Malkin's when he was contending for his scoring titles. Only difference is the 5+ minutes of PP.

Truth be told, if you put this Matthews into that NHL back in the mid 2000's, he'd have 60 goal seasons like it was nothing.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Can we please reunite one of the best line in hockey the last 2 years?

Is Babs sandbagging it?

This should be our lineup leading to the playoffs.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Mango-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kap
Brown-Lindholm-Ennis
I like the lines except maybe insert Gauthier for Lindholm. While the argument that Mango has been doing well on the 4th line, the reality is that he's not getting the TOI he deserves. He should be playing on a line with playing Tavares / Marner or Matthews/Nylander.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
When its been 6 decades of cheering and counting with Zero Stanley Cup final appearances its tests your intestinal fortitude and makes one a little more cynical and scrutinizing your own team more closely because you've seen this story before.

My first Leafs vs Montreal memories and arch rival days had Red Kelly sent out to check Jean Beliveau, while my favourite player Davey Keon lead the charge for the Leafs.

Lol that's a trip. Beliveau is my mom's all time favourite player, way she talks about him it's like she only settled for my pops because he was taken :snide: I wasn't even born til 93, couldn't even tell you what he looked like. And here we are having a conversation, technology is wild :)

I loved the Leafs teams of the 1970's (post Keon) when Darryl Sittler was my Fav and with McDonald, Salming, Turnbull and Palmateer in net I had great hope, but those damn Habs teams were a dynasty and lost very few games and won many Cups with Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson and Ken Dryden.

Things are pretty exciting right now as a Leaf fan, my biggest fear being too rich of contracts costing the Leafs in competitiveness when every dollar counts in a Cap World.

But nothing beats a Leafs victory of the Habs to put a temporary smile on my face.

I've never had real talent on this team to cheer for, like top 10 players in the entire league at their positions kind of talent. We left TO for Atlanta back in like 97 or 98, and you couldn't get hockey on the TV that deep south in those days. Wasn't until 06 til we got the package. Watched every single one of those damn games from that season through our recent years. Grew up on an aging Sundin, an aging Kaberle, an overhyped Jason Blake, Steen for Stempniak, Rask becoming a top goalie in the league while shot after shot sailed over Raycroft's left shoulder, Brad Boyes potting 40 for the Blues, Boyd Deveraux's game 82 hatty, Muskoka Five, Jeff Finger, Kessel trade blowing up in our face, 2013 meltdown. Just brutality from the organization top to bottom.

The contract situation is stressful but they'll either make it work or ship someone out for an absolute haul. Elite young players are the most valuable pieces in the league. For now it's just nice to have a good team and enjoy the ride for once :)

Reactions: egd27

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It's expectations. That team wasn't expected to be in this position. The same could be said for Leafs nation the year after we drafted Matthews. Washington put us in our place though so hopefully we do the same to the Habs.

Yeah for sure. I thought they'd be better than most, most had them penciled bottom 5, but they're getting a lot out of what they've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad