Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
ELC Years

Malkin: 242gms, ES: 14:48, 66gls, 181pts (1.11g/60, 3.03p/60) / PP 5:27, 47gls, 121pts (2.14g/60, 5.51p/60)
Auston: 184gms, ES: 15:33, 77gls, 133pts (1.62g/60, 2.79p/60) / PP 2:21, 21gls, 46pts (2.92g/60, 6.39p/60)
While you're at it, can we pull up league scoring during Malkin's ELC years vs league scoring in Matthews' ELC years?

That's crucial context that's 100% required if you want to paint an honest picture.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This is where the dishonesty seriously infuriates me.

The only ****ing reason he even got up to 22nd in EVTOI among forwards last year is because he gets incredibly jipped on PP time which are absolutely crucial minutes to give the best offensive player on your team. He was 71ST in overall ice-time among forwards, SEVENTY FIRST! As of right now, he is 86th in TOI among forwards.

This usage for an alleged Malkin-level talent is nothing short of disgraceful.

And this is all in the name of going against time-tested and proven methods of TOI distribution that all successful teams have used.

I just cannot get over this hypocrisy.

I don’t really care about your opinion of Babcock. Given your deflection I’ll assume I’ve made my point about Matthews being an elite player, Malkin-level elite.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t really care about your opinion of Babcock. Given your deflection I’ll assume I’ve made my point about Matthews being an elite player, Malkin-level elite.

That's exactly what I thought. Good day sir.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I have no problem with the Matthews / Malkin comparison - altho Malkin is far less fragile.

I do have an issue with any Matthews / Mc David / Crosby comparisons.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
While you're at it, can we pull up league scoring during Malkin's ELC years vs league scoring in Matthews' ELC years?

That's crucial context that's 100% required if you want to paint an honest picture.

League scoring is not crucial when comparing 5v5 production rate of 2 players.

Nm, I see you mean their respective ELC years. League scoring was higher in Malkins ELC years.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Again, we are getting too hung on stats.

The problem I have is the overall performance :

When I watch a game, I see the puck following Marner around like a puppy on a string. I see him making plays. I see him dominating when he's on the ice.

Because he has such a weak shot, his stats don't do his play justice.

I don't see that with Matthews since his injury. I see him chasing the play and disappearing for long stretches of time. Some games he is invisible - whether he gets a point / goal or not.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Matthews had 16 points in the first 7 games of this season.

Since then, he's had 31 points in 33 games and he is currently only 7 points above being a PPG players - all while benefiting from teams focussing on shutting down Marner/Tavares.

Now, while 31 points in 33 games in nothing to sneeze at, it is not the kind of numbers you expect from an $11.6M/yr player.

Let's hope he kicks it up a notch for the remainder of 2019 - ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

I'll tell you a funny thing. He is a ELC this season. 925 plus bonuses right.

Jump the gun much. I'll evaluate him on his coming contract in a few years thanks

Reactions: Warden of the North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad