Leafs Win!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Rielly will be a GREAT player one day but he badly needs to work on his shot.

Not only that but he seems to have a really difficult time getting the puck thru defenders.

His skating and hockeysense alone will make him really good but it will come down to how much his shot and hands in close improve that will determine how elite he becomes.

At least thats one thing Franson is elite at.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Rielly will be a GREAT player one day but he badly needs to work on his shot.

Not only that but he seems to have a really difficult time getting the puck thru defenders.

His skating and hockeysense alone will make him really good but it will come down to how much his shot and hands in close improve that will determine how elite he becomes.

At least thats one thing Franson is elite at.

That's so true, Rielly has had so many chances to score but he has the shot of a one-legged girl scout. Not only soft but inaccurate to boot. But he's such a talent, I'm pretty confident he'll be rifling howitzers top-shelf in a couple years.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Can someone explain this 3 point games i keep hearing about ? is it a new rule or something ?

2 points [winning in regulation]
3 points [winning in overtime/shootout]
4 points [playing against Division Rivals as many would say]

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Carlyle going off on Farrish at the end of the game - was that related to the Bozak-Kadri wrong line change seconds before the goal?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Can someone explain this 3 point games i keep hearing about ? is it a new rule or something ?

It's in reference to games that go into overtime, where both teams get a point.

Becomes particularly noticeable now when races for the playoffs are so tight in both conferences.

For example 2 teams behind the Leafs could be playing against each other, go into OT or a SO, both pick up at least a point, and now 2 teams are closer to the Leafs in the standings for the wild card race, etc.

It's a poor system, but one that the NHL must love - it leads to compact standings like they are now, which down the stretch makes for some exciting hockey and really engaged fanbases

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Every win is worth 2 points, but when a game goes past regulation, the loser is guaranteed a point so it works out to:

Winner - 2 points
OT/Shootout loser - 1 point

Add it up and and it works out to a 3 point game. In the final stretch before playoffs, handing out loser points (or picking up loser points) can be crucial to the playoff stretch.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Is it bad I have more faith in Ranger defensively than Franson and Gardiner?

Ranger has been really solid in his limited role since he was placed back in the lineup. I can't remember the last time he made a terrible play.

On another note, it sucks to give up 2 shorties but the first one was a complete fluke. The puck went off a skate in front, ended on a NYR player's stick for a shot that went off Bozak's stick, through Kessel's legs like 5 feet wide of the net, then careened off Phaneuf's knee and in. It's more of a "**** you" from the hockey gods than anything.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I thought Ranger had a couple of collar tugging miscues with the puck but he recovered well and stayed in position .. It'd be nice if he could provide some stability to the bottom pairing

TheThrill81*

It's a poor system, but one that the NHL must love - it leads to compact standings like they are now, which down the stretch makes for some exciting hockey and really engaged fanbases

Even before the loser point there were compact standings and exciting hockey down the stretch. I miss 20 min overtime. :(

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
On another note, it sucks to give up 2 shorties but the first one was a complete fluke. The puck went off a skate in front, ended on a NYR player's stick for a shot that went off Bozak's stick, through Kessel's legs like 5 feet wide of the net, then careened off Phaneuf's knee and in. It's more of a "**** you" from the hockey gods than anything.

when that fluke went in i thought to myself, 'if there's a god, he hates the leafs." then they scored again and it confirmed my suspicions :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I really think the trade talk affected Kadri's game this month, he was much better last night. He was visibly more involved. Hopefully, he can put that behind him for the remainder of the season, and just concentrate on hockey. Really going to need the #2 line to step up as the games now are getting tougher to win.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
My bad, I didn't watch the game, like I said. Moore and MSL messing with my brain.

The puck skittering off to the corner isn't Franson getting "burned". Dominic Moore gaining the puck completely unimpeded when the Leafs have a man advantage is getting burned. Kessel stares at him from the blue line in, doesnt take a single stride, as Moore takes 6 or 7. It's just awful.

Please don't read my posts as a defense of Cody Franson the player. He isn't good, its a shame. Read it as an indictment of Phil Kessel.
Wtf are you going on about? Phil Kessel had no reason to be in that corner. There were two Rangers, Dion had one, Cody the other. As dumb as the turnover was, wtf was Dion doing with that shot? It was headed to the corner, let it go.... Fluke or not, that goal was on Phaneuf.

That being said, Jesus Cody.... Do you have no brains in that head?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought Gardiner was good last night. Certainly the type of play we need from him. Hopefully he's turned a corner after a season filled with wild rumours. We don't need him to be a defensive Norris trophy winner, but just a steady puck rushing defender that makes smart plays.

Franson had one of his bad games, but he was steady heading into the game last night since the coming back from the Olympic break. He's been terrible on the PP though for the most part. He can't take a pass a lot of times, he can't seem to find a lane to shoot, can't make a big play most of the time. It's just been a wildly inconsistent fiasco with him. I just hope he can bounce back next game.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
i think we're going to see a different Jake Gardiner going forward. Best game i've seen from him all season. I think all the trade rumours have been weighing on him past couple of months and affecting his game. Now he can settle down and play hockey again.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
I thought Gardiner was good last night. Certainly the type of play we need from him. Hopefully he's turned a corner after a season filled with wild rumours. We don't need him to be a defensive Norris trophy winner, but just a steady puck rushing defender that makes smart plays.

Franson had one of his bad games, but he was steady heading into the game last night since the coming back from the Olympic break. He's been terrible on the PP though for the most part. He can't take a pass a lot of times, he can't seem to find a lane to shoot, can't make a big play most of the time. It's just been a wildly inconsistent fiasco with him. I just hope he can bounce back next game.

holy **** get out of my head

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Good minds think a like, eh? ;)

As far as the game is concerned, I thought we played well defensively. It wasn't a perfect game, we gave up too many shots again and there were too many unforced errors , but I think we played a better complete game then we did since the Olympic break.

I think we've been really unlucky with the bounces going against us lately. That first SH goal that went off Phaneuf was just pure luck from the Rangers as the shot was going 5 feet wide. On the flip side, we haven't had many bounces go our way, especially in terms of offence. So I hope the team keeps playing the way they have with smarter plays, and the bounces will start going our way a lot more.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Kulemin is a monster. I'm really glad Nonis didn't ship him out yesterday.

Please resign him. He's the only guy who gives 100% effort levels every shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad