Post-Game Talk: Leafs win Monday Matinee Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Yea, The awful SN broadcast didn't even show a replay either and the Blues scored not long after. Game changing non call and our "hometown" feed just ignored it.

That stuff bugs the hell out of me.
McMann's could have been a borderline call, I thought he never got entangled and pushed the defender off the puck. The Tavares trip was a blatant missed call.

Reactions: Al14

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
McMann's could have been a borderline call, I thought he never got entangled and pushed the defender off the puck. The Tavares trip was a blatant missed call.
Half this board’s heads would have exploded if McMann was a Blue and Krug was a Leaf. That being said it was a good no call IMO

Reactions: Al14

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Personally, I think it's more that it coincided with one of the easier stretches of the schedule. If they can carry it over to the Vegas and Colorado games, I will be impressed. I'm guessing we see Woll back for one of those games.

Not too sure.

I expect Woll to get some games in for a conditioning stint at the AHL level. Just to let him get back up to speed.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yea, The awful SN broadcast didn't even show a replay either and the Blues scored not long after. Game changing non call and our "hometown" feed just ignored it.

That stuff bugs the hell out of me.
They have to toe the line so as to not EMBARRASS the NHL or their CORRUPT on ice officials !!!

They have to play nice with the NHL to keep the TV rights after all.

If every TV broadcaster, and hockey analyst, could/would just call out the Refs and DoPS, the NHL would be forced to end the CORRUPTION IMHO.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Very good road win.
Since the Rielly suspension, the team is playing some good team hockey.
Playing with lots of intensity, paying lots of attention to the small details and being responsible defensively.
It's a pretty easy sell to the players to up their level when you lose an important player and playing a consistent 60 minutes of hardworking hockey is sometimes this teams biggest hurdle.
The other good thing that has come of what Rielly did, is Keefe is giving the bottom 6 more minutes, and even promoting guys higher up the lineup. You can see the big difference this has made. The role players are looking like they feel they are helping the team. They are having each other's backs!
If Keefe continues to do this when everybody's back, this will be a big step in this team finally being able to do some damage in the playoffs!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Just rewatched it, and it was pretty much as I saw it the first time around sans the useless interruptions. It was a good hardworking win, a Leafs team that didn't allow too much to get to the middle and forced turnovers without too much damage being done.

Inre the StLoo goal scored on the PP. The one that was somehow "Mitchs' fault" for some mysterious reason that arent detectable upon second, third and even fourth viewings. Put it this way, the FBI wouldn't be able to pin it on Mitch, even if they had 6 months to investigate it.

Anybody who may have thought Mitch somehow flubbed a clear that led to that goal, please watch again as many times as it takes and then please explain how MM has to bear any fault for that, or how he failed to clear it or whatever else he's guilty of. It just ain't there. So yeah it's cool, your apology is accepted.

Reactions: Duffman955

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just rewatched it, and it was pretty much as I saw it the first time around sans the useless interruptions. It was a good hardworking win, a Leafs team that didn't allow too much to get to the middle and forced turnovers without too much damage being done.

Inre the StLoo goal scored on the PP. The one that was somehow "Mitchs' fault" for some mysterious reason that arent detectable upon second, third and even fourth viewings. Put it this way, the FBI wouldn't be able to pin it on Mitch, even if they had 6 months to investigate it.

Anybody who may have thought Mitch somehow flubbed a clear that led to that goal, please watch again as many times as it takes and then please explain how MM has to bear any fault for that, or how he failed to clear it or whatever else he's guilty of. It just ain't there. So yeah it's cool, your apology is accepted.
When 16 is on the ice the Leafs score in spite of him and get scored on because of him.
I blame his dad.

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Blow out all your assets now and not win and then you are f***ed for any subsequent runs in the next 4 years with Matthews. Upgrade the D some and look for a C that allows you to move JT to wing. The 2nd line with Domi in the middle looked fast today.

?-Domi-Nylander

? someone capable of putting the puck in the ocean, not over it.

Reactions: ToneDog

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I look at the rest of the Eastern conference and it leads me to believe that "selling the farm" wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. I appreciate that Florida looks formidable at the moment, but who knows when it comes to their goaltending. The rest of the conference is so mediocre. I don't think there is a single team in the conference that could beat the Leafs in a playoff series other than Florida. It would be negligent to not try everything in their power to win this season. The future doesn't offer any guarantees.

It’s foolhardy to believe that no team can beat the Leafs in a playoff series (other than Florida) when we have seen this to be not true. Until we see them win series more consistently, we can’t say that no team can beat them when we have seen that any team can in fact beat them in a 7 game series.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I think Woll has big upside but who knows how his ankle will hold up or how is game will be come playoff time. The Bruins are 5th in the league in GA/G. The Leafs are 18th. The Leafs are playing well right now but they have a much tougher schedule coming up. Those games will be a bigger test of how they stack up against better teams. I will say that they’re playing a more sound defensive structure with more intensity on the blueline.
Totally agree. The real test will be when they play against stiffer competition, but beating these lower teams certainly gets them going in the right direction.
The other thing is, when everybody's healthy, will Keefe continue to use all 4 lines so that the non-core players feel like they're actually contributing and feel part of the team, or go back to overplaying the core 4 while giving the others around 10 minutes if they're lucky?

Reactions: studebaker17

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Just watched the game in 10, (stupid Sportsnet app wouldn't show the whole game), thought that should have been a penalty on McMann in that situation.
It certainly looked like one, and we would have been screaming if it had happened to us. Nonetheless, it's so good to see McMann doing what he's been doing!

Reactions: ACC1224

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I’d love to see Tre do something bold where Bertuzzi is traded. He has been a disaster in the Blue and White. The question is what would we even get for him.
He is not earning what he's being paid, no doubt about that, but he is not a complete dud out there either. He forechecks, is good along the boards, to name a few. I am willing to hold onto him until after the playoffs, but if the right deal came along, I would also certainly give it a long, hard look.

What’s the point of being able to appeal suspensions when the league doesn’t get back to you……. Like Rielly’s suspension is over after the game in Arizona. They appealed the suspension like 3 games ago WTF
But the other thing is why in hell has Shanahan not spoken out??? Nothing more than a figurehead!!!

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I wonder if it will be a point if contention in the next CBA.

Right now the rule appears to be Gary does whatever he feels like.

If he decides not to reduce it fine, it's five. But if there is a reduction and they had this much time in between it's going to be very annoying.
Bettman is a f***ing joke, CANNOT stand him!!! And whoever is responsible for hiring Parros to head the DOPs is as big a joke, or even bigger!!!

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Sammy played well last season. Finally won us a playoff series and it's appreciated. This four game winning streak I'm just not sold on. He looks very nervous. Probably chain smoking. Between the defensive play and PK I just don't see it in the Leafs this season. But every now and then they play really well and it's impressive. The young forwards are playing better and Benoit has been a godsend. I'm getting a sliver of hope and it pisses me off...lol
Yup, I agree. Their PK is in bottom third of league, that will not cut it in the playoffs! I don't think the return of Jarnkrok will make that huge of a difference either, although he will help.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I dedicate this win to former Leaf Gerry James, who passed away a week ago today at age 89. Instead of a "regular" off-season job like most players had back then, he played in the CFL with Winnipeg. On November 30, 1957, he played in a Grey Cup game at Varsity Stadium during the afternoon and a Leafs home game vs Boston at night. Also was on four Grey Cup winning teams.
Gerryjames.jpg

ens9l6s19dr21.jpg

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I dedicate this win to former Leaf Gerry James, who passed away a week ago today at age 89. Instead of a "regular" off-season job like most players had back then, he played in the CFL with Winnipeg. On November 30, 1957, he played in a Grey Cup game at Varsity Stadium during the afternoon and a Leafs home game vs Boston at night. Also was on four Grey Cup winning teams.
Gerryjames.jpg

ens9l6s19dr21.jpg
Just an common everyday ordinary superman, condolences to the family of a great Canadian.

Btw fyi hes the 2nd guy to do that, the other guy had a goal that evening for the Leafs, after a touchdown and either an extra point drop kick or a field goal with the Argos in the Grey cup. His name was Conacher or something, he took a streetcar to the Gardens later, Will ain't got nothing on him

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
McMann channeled his inner Hyman effort on that empty netter. Love his tenacity lately. The offensive breakout has really rejuvenated his legs and confidence out there.

Like him in the top 6 .. might suit Tavares and Nylander well since he could that line more speed compared to Bert and improve forechecking
What about McMann - Nylander - Jarnkrok?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tavares is the only C after Matthews with the offensive awareness to keep up with Nylander.

Tavares is a highly skilled player. He needs to be with other highly skilled players to utilize high IQ plays. Not play adrenaline hockey. Let the bottom 6ers take care of that.
I'm not sure about him being the only one with "offensive awareness", but he's weak defensively and very slow, which is not what works best with Nylander. Other than faceoffs and standing in the slot he's barely a centre any more.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I look at the rest of the Eastern conference and it leads me to believe that "selling the farm" wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. I appreciate that Florida looks formidable at the moment, but who knows when it comes to their goaltending. The rest of the conference is so mediocre. I don't think there is a single team in the conference that could beat the Leafs in a playoff series other than Florida. It would be negligent to not try everything in their power to win this season. The future doesn't offer any guarantees.
I agree with the sentiniment that the east is awful and not scary at all come playoff time, but the Leafs are a part of that.

The trip to the SCF is still Florida's (and to a lesser extent Boston) to lose. Everyone after those two is extremely mediocre

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Doesn’t Tavares have like 3 even strength goals in his last 30 games though
His last goal at 5-on-5 was Dec 11. In the 26 games he's played since then, he has 5 assists at 5-on-5.

He's probably the main reason Matthews has taken over the scoring lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille