Post-Game Talk: Leafs win Monday Matinee Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
So strange. When the Leafs feel they have to play desperate that seems to be when they play their very best. In two weeks Rielly will be back and other defense men will return. When they return it seems complacency returns. Styles said they're playing for Mo. They need to play for each other and against those who hate you. Fans, social media, whatever.
The last 4 games have blown me away on the potential of this team if they just stuck to the system, played for each other and just listened and stayed with the game plan. Earlier this year it was wayyy too loose, no gap control, etc the last 4 games completely different team. Brodie should just f***ing stay on the left side also. Best hockey he’s played in months

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They basically don’t want appeals or just get ignored.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the only reason Rielly got 5 games instead of 6+ is they realized that Rielly had good comparables that a neutral party would later reduce to undermine their credibility. So they decided to settle at 5 to prevent an independent party overruling them.

The same reason I think Bettman reduced Spezza’s suspension. If he kept it at 6, Spezza could have went to an independent arbitrator who likely reduces it.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah, I’m pretty sure the only reason Rielly got 5 games instead of 6+ is they realized that Rielly had good comparables that a neutral party would later reduce to undermine their credibility. So they decided to settle at 5 to prevent an independent party overruling them.

The same reason I think Bettman reduced Spezza’s suspension. If he kept it at 6, Spezza could have went to an independent arbitrator who likely reduces it.
Yeah 5 was a super random number

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Bettman's NHL is a kakistocracy, so yes, they'd never relinquish whatever arbitrary powers they currently possess.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Funny how his past team mates, coach and GM don't think so.

Only reason he isn't still a Bruin is because he wanted to be a Leaf more than he wanted to be a Bruin. The Bruins were completely blind sided by this signing.

That alone should make him a fan favorite. F the Bruins

He played 21 regular season games as a Bruin, and a 7 play-off games where he had 10 points with 6 points on the power play.
So that's a total of 28 games as a Bruin.

He has played 53 games as a Leaf. So very soon, he will have double the sample size as a Leaf.
But let's ignore all that recent play.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Great game by our Leafs once again.

A 12 noon local time start was a complete farce by the NHL IMHO.

What the f*** is taking so long for Bettman to announce the decision on Rielly's suspension ??? It should be very simple to decide, and it should have been announced one way or the other on FRIDAY !!! I guess Jeremy Jacobs is taking his sweet time telling Bettman what he wants done !!!

This League is such a farce, and is very unprofessional IMHO. Add to that incompetent, and certainly CORRUPT !!!

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
We may have something good with the Brodie-Liljegren pairing. The only real downside to that pair is that they're both pretty soft, though Brodie played beside McCabe last playoffs and still looked bad against Florida. Both TJ and Timmy have performed excellently as a pair in Rielly's absence. A partner for Rielly to allow this duo to continue their play together would be huge.

Brodie playing the left has really helped as has Liljegren not having to play with a 40 year old Gio IMO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He played 21 regular season games as a Bruin, and a 7 play-off games where he had 10 points with 6 points on the power play.
So that's a total of 28 games as a Bruin.

He has played 53 games as a Leaf. So very soon, he will have double the sample size as a Leaf.
But let's ignore all that recent play.

I’m not a huge Bertuzzi guy, would gladly move off him if we could pivot to something more productive. But I do appreciate his effort.

And you can’t really apply “sample size” 1 to 1 for certain guys who do well in head to head playoff series than regular season play. Guys Sam Bennett absolutely underachieve in the regular season but it’s a different story in the playoffs. Head to head in a 7 game series, he’ll beat you up and score key goals against you. With Bertuzzi that’s the hope.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
They did this last time he was out along with Brodie and others. We had Gio-Holl as our top pair, Mete-Hollowell as the 3rd pair, and our AHL backup in net - somehow they averaged like 2GAA for a few weeks.

How do Keefe and company make them maintain it?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I don't think there is a big gap in the defensive metrics between the two teams over the last 30ish games. I also think the goaltending will be a wash once Woll is back, as he is just as good as Swayman.
I think Woll has big upside but who knows how his ankle will hold up or how is game will be come playoff time. The Bruins are 5th in the league in GA/G. The Leafs are 18th. The Leafs are playing well right now but they have a much tougher schedule coming up. Those games will be a bigger test of how they stack up against better teams. I will say that they’re playing a more sound defensive structure with more intensity on the blueline.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
These guys don't celebrate a goal being scored.

They celebrate scoring them. There's a difference. Remember when the NFL put in place a rule preventing excessive celebrations after a touchdown?

Maybe the NHL should consider doing something along those same lines.

Seeing the players after scoring a goal is a little hard to watch at times. The sad thing is that it's not just limited to the Leafs. Seems like there's a formula everyone in the league has to follow.

First jump into the glass.

Then point at the guy who made the pass. That's followed by a group hug. Finally everyone skates by the bench giving props to all the players there.

Just do a backflip and get it over with.

Reactions: studebaker17

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Missed this game. did Nylander play with Domi?

How was the lines composed?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Great game by our Leafs once again.

A 12 noon local time start was a complete farce by the NHL IMHO.

What the f*** is taking so long for Bettman to announce the decision on Rielly's suspension ??? It should be very simple to decide, and it should have been announced one way or the other on FRIDAY !!! I guess Jeremy Jacobs is taking his sweet time telling Bettman what he wants done !!!

This League is such a farce, and is very unprofessional IMHO. Add to that incompetent, and certainly CORRUPT !!!
They have to teach the director of player safety to read. Parros the puppet is such a terrible choice for such an important, game influencing, position.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
McMann channeled his inner Hyman effort on that empty netter. Love his tenacity lately. The offensive breakout has really rejuvenated his legs and confidence out there.

Like him in the top 6 .. might suit Tavares and Nylander well since he could that line more speed compared to Bert and improve forechecking
Just watched the game in 10, (stupid Sportsnet app wouldn't show the whole game), thought that should have been a penalty on McMann in that situation.

Reactions: Jojalu and nofehr

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I’d love to see Tre do something bold where Bertuzzi is traded. He has been a disaster in the Blue and White. The question is what would we even get for him.
I'd trade him out West...just in case he's saving himself for the playoffs.
Trick is to see if there is a winger making around $5m, on an expiring contract, who is also underperforming.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just watched the game in 10, (stupid Sportsnet app wouldn't show the whole game), thought that should have been a penalty on McMann in that situation.

Maybe the refs making up for the biggest blown call of the game a few minutes earlier:

Reactions: Al14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad