Post-Game Talk: Leafs win in Buffalo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Liljegren sure picked a bad time to get injured. Timmins with two assists last night and looking not out of place might steal his RHD slot for the playoffs.

Seeing all the fans in Buffalo going nuts and the big golden 60 balloon in stands was a nice touch. Now Matthews can relax and focus on being primed for the playoffs. Would be nice if he got 65.
66+ would be better. That would break OV's 65 and should stand for a few decades.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
66+ would be better. That would break OV's 65 and should stand for a few decades.
66 would be perfect but who knows what Keefe wants to do in terms of load management before the playoffs. Might sit him a game or two like last year once the matchups are set. I mean if he can go off for another hat-trick he has an outside shot at 70 but I doubt it. Being the 9th player ever with two 60 goal seasons is pretty special.

Reactions: ToneDog

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Bertuzzi has underrated hockey IQ that we're finally getting a chance to see after his bumpy first half.

He has some Tavares in him in the sense that he's such a bore to watch, but when you take a step back and observe, he's always standing in the right spot. Even in the defensive end and it leads to key blocks some nights and is a direct factor in having a 40 goal pace over the last 20 games.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Unless McDavid next year decides to focus on goals again. Or Hyman continues to develop :sarcasm:
Is this sarcasm directed towards specific people lol. I really hope people aren't claiming Matthews is winning the Rocket because McDavid let him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Is this sarcasm directed towards specific people lol. I really hope people aren't claiming Matthews is winning the Rocket because McDavid let him.
Seems last year he wanted to score goals and this year wanted to get 100 assists and get Hyman 50. LOL. The guy probably decides what his goals are over summer and then reaches them. Hell of a player.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Is this sarcasm lol. I really hope people aren't claiming Matthews is winning the Rocket because McDavid let him.
No not what I was claiming at all and the hyman part definitely was sarcasm. But If anybody can challenge ovis record being broken by Matthews if he breaks it it’s McDavid.

Reactions: ToneDog

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
anyone have a video of the Samsonov saluting the fans in Buffalo? or Clip?

IMG_3278.jpeg
E00034CC-519C-4D05-9992-FEBE7E6C1899.gif

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It was great to see such an inspiring performance from the team in our home away from home considering our record there over the years.

I'm happy for the thousands of Leaf fans that showed up. That was a memorable one.

Reactions: Ports and ToneDog

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Sammy! Sammy!

If he keeps playing like last night I'd start him in the playoffs.

We actually seem to have a lot of great depth D options. Going to be hard to pick a starting lineup with Gio-Timmins playing very well in their return.

What we lack, of course, is solid top 4 options outside of Rielly and McCabe..... Unless Gio-Brodie reverts to their form from 5 years ago....

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
I'm not sure they will have much choice. If that happens, can they afford to pay samsonov $4+ million per season and still improve the defense AND design domi and bertuzzi? Something will have to give somewhere.
Beg Domi and bert to sign another one year, Tavares resigns at 3, redistribute what he was getting to them.

Reactions: Al14

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
On goal 60. So much happened on that sequence. Domi chips it out of the Leaf end nearly setting up a 2-1, but it goes right Byram. “Ohh, damn that was close, wait, Byron has no stick, why did Byram drop his stick, geez Matthews strips it off him , in ALONE!!!! No! Damn , Finnish goaltender (with the name so long it’s faster to describe his long name) made a good save. Wait Byram kicks it right back to Matthews in the corner, Matthews tries to bank it and HITS THE POST!!! Wait now the Finnish goalie has dropped HIS stick, Matthews gets it again out-muscles behemoth Tage Thompson, pass to the point mayhem in front as Bertuzzi skates moving the goalies stick further away, Timmins all alone at the point and shoots it, off Matthews skate to his stick and there is a wide open net…Thompson dives behind his goalie to no avail, probably thinking to himself, I’ll never score 60, but I’m watching Matthews score it right now. MATTHEWS SCORES,……No goal horn just an eruption of noise from the massive leaf crowd.

That was a fun way to score his 60th
Was that Joe Bowen’s call verbatim ?

Reactions: crump

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Beg Domi and bert to sign another one year, Tavares resigns at 3, redistribute what he was getting to them.
Tavares has another year left on his contract. That’s what makes next season a tight sqeeze. May need to hold off signing a UFA RD dman for another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad