Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win. Hurrah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Exactly. We didn't give up so many picks and paid him 1.6M more to be marginally better than the last goalie we had.

Significantly better. The Reimer era was a bad crew, Carlyle had them playing above their ability. The team sucked. The Leafs are going to be fighting for a playoff spot, like most teams.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'll say I don't blame him on the second goal but I don't like his movement and how he's getting lost so often. It's one of the reasons were seeing so many deflection goals.

If he's "on" he follows that shot to the post rather than sprawling and is in a position to react.

I can agree with this.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Marner (2.87) - He's still not where he should be, but the legs are starting to come back. Now he's fumbling the puck though. Marner, of all people!

Bad
Nylander (3.31) - Effort was definitely up, but was caught sleeping at times in the defensive zone. Missed an open net. More than that, he's no longer possessing superhuman confidence. He's playing with the confidence of regular successful people, and it leads him to take the safer alternative more than I would like to see.

A good overall summary.

And I have also noticed that Nylander seem to have lost some of that confidence and swagger. At the same time Marner dont create sparks when he hits the ice as he did when he just joined the team. I do think Babcock knows what he is doing with them and long term both will likely turn out great for us. But I cant help but wonder if some of their natural habits, that makes them stand out from the rest, is being coached out of them. I really hope that is not the case.

Well I dont want Marner to play as if he was still in juniors and I dont want Nylander to be a puck hog. But both these guys are currently missing a bit of what makes them the players they are.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Well I dont want Marner to play as if he was still in juniors and I dont want Nylander to be a puck hog. But both these guys are currently missing a bit of what makes them the players they are.
The league has adjusted to those two, and they have not figured out how to re-adjust their own game for the league.

In Marner's case, he's doing everything ass backwards.

That shootout goal he scored last night, after entering the zone, he went straight to the net, and made his high end skilled moves at the top of the crease.

In real games, he does the opposite. In real games, Marner makes all his high end moves in the neutral zone. Then he disappears with the puck along the perimeter in the offensive zone, eventually giving the puck away or getting stripped of it.

Nylander is a very good player, but a bad winger I think.

It's like he does not know what a winger is suppose to do.

The JVR goal, Matthews off the wing, gets around his man completely, and the play results in a goal. He can do it all.

Hyman on the penalty kill, takes it right to the net, and got directed into the goalie by the defenseman.

That is a basic play for a winger. Beat your man from off the boards get yourself and the puck to the net. Something Nylander does not even attempt to do.

The league will let those two have the perimeter, and cut off the passing lane for Marner, and block the shooting lane for Nylander.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For the last time Zeke, Kadri was NOT in the crease. The only player in the crease was the goalie. How do you expect people to take you seriously when you keep insisting Kadri was in the crease? Seriously man, watch the replay again, in slow motion if you have to, this is just silly now.

As to the goalie moving post to post goes, I'm sure you're aware that goalies do that all the time, maybe a hundred times per game. Are you saying that it's OK to let that goal in - because he was ... moving? And he was moving pretty slow, had all the time in the world, had unimpeded vision, saw the puck going to Kadri, positioned himself perfectly square up to the shooter and ... let it through his legs. Watch his reaction after, that should tell you everything you need to know, that kind of goal happens but the goalie has that 99 times out of 100. Just amazing that you you're defending him, dumping on Freddie and calling others biased.

come on, man. watch where the puck release actually happened. right at the top of the crease.

if the leafs' D gave up that chance you'd be all over them and making excuses for Andy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Pathetic Reimer strikes early. We didn't know this was a sign of things to come in the 3rd period

Way to slow to react, and than does a typical Reimer swim. I guess we blame the defence though

Reimer goes for a swim, and leaves the net open for Lucic

Deep in his net, and he won't ever makes saves with his glove, so a predictable goal. Blame the team though I guess

Why now finish off the worst callapse in history with a Reimer swim. One of the worst pressure game goaltending performances ever. At least he smiled after the game though.

The guy isnt a strarter, and 31 teams seems to believe that. A good backup. thats what he is

The hilarious thing about this post is that even as you typed it, you knew you'd have been excusing Andersen for the poor defense in front of him on EVERY SINGLE ONE of those goals.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
come on, man. watch where the puck release actually happened. right at the top of the crease.

if the leafs' D gave up that chance you'd be all over them and making excuses for Andy.

Come on man yourself. You said several times that the player was in the crease. Now your changing your story and you're still wrong. Kadri wasn't in the crease. The puck release happened outside the crease. His body or stick don't enter the crease at any point, not even on the follow through. Give it up Zeke.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Come on man yourself. You said several times that the player was in the crease. Now your changing your story and you're still wrong. Kadri wasn't in the crease. The puck release happened outside the crease. His body or stick don't enter the crease at any point, not even on the follow through. Give it up Zeke.

come on, man, the shot release is like 2 inches outside the blue.

meaningless semantics arguments don't suit you.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
come on, man, the shot release is like 2 inches outside the blue.

meaningless semantics arguments don't suit you.

First you said Kadri was in the crease. Then you said he released the shot in the crease. Now you're saying OK, he was outside the crease but not by much and playing the meaningless semantic argument card? Get real man, this is beyond ridiculous.

Are you going to let Andersen off the hook for any goals where the shot was taken from up close? Even if they were weak shots with no bodies screening him and he was in perfect position squared up to the shooter?

That was a rhetorical question and I believe I know the answer. Semantics indeed!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
First you said Kadri was in the crease. Then you said he released the shot in the crease. Now you're saying OK, he was outside the crease but not by much and playing the meaningless semantic argument card? Get real man, this is beyond ridiculous.

Are you going to let Andersen off the hook for any goals where the shot was taken from up close? Even if they were weak shots with no bodies screening him and he was in perfect position squared up to the shooter?

That was a rhetorical question and I believe I know the answer. Semantics indeed!

stop being silly. a cross crease pass on a moving goalie and able to shoot from the edge of the crease. That is a high danger chance by any possible definition, and we'd be screaming bloody murder at our defense if they let up that chance.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
stop being silly. a cross crease pass on a moving goalie and able to shoot from the edge of the crease. That is a high danger chance by any possible definition, and we'd be screaming bloody murder at our defense if they let up that chance.

A weak shot dribbled through the goalies legs, no amount of deflection on your part will change that fact. And you'd be screaming bloody murder at Andersen had he let in a goal like that. At least you seem to have conceded that the shooter wasn't in the crease, well done. :)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A weak shot dribbled through the goalies legs, no amount of deflection on your part will change that fact. And you'd be screaming bloody murder at Andersen had he let in a goal like that. At least you seem to have conceded that the shooter wasn't in the crease, well done. :)

what was weak about that shot? and how strong does a shot have to be when it's released a foot away from the goalie?

But nice to know that you will now start criticizing Andy for allowing goals on point blank scoring chances off of cross crease passes, like you do other goalies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad