Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win. Hurrah

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean that "great save" that andy made at the end of the 3rd? the leafs' D was doing more to impede the shot, and andy didn't have to move from side to side. And that was apparently this "great gamesaving save".

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wonder why the Reimer haters are giving Andersen a free pass bc of the defense, even though it's 10 times better than any defense Reimer played in front of? The bias and lengths people are going to defend this mediocre goalie who we paid to be an upgrade is getting pathetic

Reactions: Pi

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I mean you have to be joking. Or maybe you don't realize your bias.

If the leafs' defense let a pass get across the crease to a man standing in the crease, and let that guy turn and shoot that puck against a goalie coming across as quick as he can, the defense would be getting brutalized for their awful play.

He shot that literally from inside the crease. at a goalie moving post to post. with the dman doing nothing to impede the shot.

I don't think "literally" means what you seem to think it means.

Seriously man, not much else to be said here. Watch the replay again, if you really don't think your bias is showing here I don't know what else to say? Are you really saying that if that had been Freddie you wouldn't be blaming him? C'mon now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I can really say that freddy does not get blamed for missing unimpeded shots from the top of the crease.

Can you really say with a straight face that you wouldn't be dumping all over the leafs' D if they let up that chance, and saying "andy could have had it but man the defense has to be better"?

If Andy makes a save on an apparently easy chance like that - like he did at the end of this game - he gets praised as a GAMESAVER.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure many of us are "satisfied", I know I'm not. I just think that so many of our guys are playing below their capabilities so it's not fair to single out one player. I know the goalie's mistakes are the most visible but still, people should know better. Around the same time last year many wanted to ship him out of town and he was pretty great the rest of the way, now he's a bum again?

All goalies go through slumps. Period. I'm not too worried myself and I am confident he'll turn it around.

I'm singling out the one player that let in the soft goal which almost cost a win, that doesn't mean other players are exempt from criticism. Had the Leafs won 3-2 I would have praised his game, they didn't and that's on him.
He's never given me the impression that he's anything more than an above average goalie and I don't feel he'll ever be good enough to win a cup. That concerns me and is the main reason I'm overly critical of him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I wonder why the Reimer haters are giving Andersen a free pass bc of the defense, even though it's 10 times better than any defense Reimer played in front of? The bias and lengths people are going to defend this mediocre goalie who we paid to be an upgrade is getting pathetic
Well, that's mostly because the bolded isn't true.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well, that's mostly because the bolded isn't true.

you sure?

5v5 CA/60 (Adj) since 10/11

1. 17/18 48.3
2. 15/16 48.9
3. 16/17 50.4
4. 11/12 51.1
5. 14/15 52.7
6. 10/11 54.5
7. 12/13 55.1
8. 13/14 57.3

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
The 1st 2 were unlucky goals. However not surprising a certain someone still blames him for those goals. If it was red light Reimer? Probably not.
3rd one was bad and there is no excuse for that. An NHL starter needs to stop that. However after allowing that goal, you better make some big saves and he did.
Andersen won us the game after that 3rd goal.

I can't believe the amount of flack Freddy gets -- just ridiculous. I don't know what game some of you watched but except for that 3rd goal, I thought he played one of his best game last night. Shut the door in SO, made great saves while he stood on his head and gave the team a chance to win which they did.

I made a huge mistake and re-lived the final moments of Game 7 just now to remind myself how much better Reimer truly is over Freddy -- you've no idea what soft goals are until you witness the disaster. It just proved all over again the reason the Leafs shipped him out. I can only imagine what would've been like if Freddy was in net that game..

Reactions: stickty111

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
well he managed to make a couple of big time saves as good as any Freddy made, didn't let in stinkers, and all three leaf goals came from point blank chances in the crease so.....not so bad for an ECHL goalie.

You would not have let Freddy off the hook so easily if he had given up Kadri's 2nd.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I can't believe the amount of flack Freddy gets -- just ridiculous. I don't know what game some of you watched but except for that 3rd goal, I thought he played one of his best game last night. Shut the door in SO, made great saves while he stood on his head and gave the team a chance to win which they did.

I made a huge mistake and re-lived the final moments of Game 7 just now to remind myself how much better Reimer truly is over Freddy -- you've no idea what soft goals are until you witness the disaster. It just proved all over again the reason the Leafs shipped him out. I can only imagine what would've been like if Freddy was in net that game..

Taking out the weak goal, if Freddy plays more like he did yesterday, thats fine by me.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
you sure?

1. 17/18 48.3
2. 15/16 48.9
3. 16/17 50.4
4. 11/12 51.1
5. 14/15 52.7
6. 10/11 54.5
7. 12/13 55.1
8. 13/14 57.3
if someone wants to make the claim that Andersen is screwed by bad defense more than Reimer (or even as much), there is something very wrong there

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
So I'm not digging through this entire thread, but to my understanding...Bozak's goal should have counted?

A high stick infraction needs to be above the players shoulders on a pass, or above the crossbar on a goal.

Since JVR's stick was below his shoulders and it was a pass to Bozak...that should have counted.

Am I wrong?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So I'm not digging through this entire thread, but to my understanding...JVR's goal should have counted?

A high stick infraction needs to be above the players shoulders on a pass, or above the crossbar on a goal.

Since JVR's stick was below his shoulders and it was a pass to Bozak...that should have counted.

Am I wrong?
I don't believe there are two seperate rules. I think for the goal they use the crossbar as an easy height reference since it's stationary.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I don't believe there are two seperate rules. I think for the goal they use the crossbar as an easy height reference since it's stationary.

I was told their are two. Maybe I need to dig up the actual rules for this.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dictionary.com/hyperbole
It wasn't the hyperbole that was the issue.

you sure?

1. 17/18 48.3
2. 15/16 48.9
3. 16/17 50.4
4. 11/12 51.1
5. 14/15 52.7
6. 10/11 54.5
7. 12/13 55.1
8. 13/14 57.3
Amount of shots doesn't affect save percentage. Except that some claim that more shots make it easier for the goaltender to get good numbers.

expected save percentage would tell us more. Or perhaps xGA/60.

1. 15/16 2.27
2. 10/11 2.36
3. 11/12 2.44
4. 17/18 2.48
5. 12/13 2.51
6. 16/17 2.59
7. 14/15 2.64
8. 13/14 2.65

This years team is middle of the pack in that regard.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I was told their are two. Maybe I need to dig up the actual rules for this.
I think there are two interpretations of the same rule depending where on the ice you are.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pathetic "its never my fault" Reimer played in front of a better defence and always led the team to a callapse. If your a good goalie in this league, you stop a beachball in game 7 in last 10 minutes but he couldnt.
Its maddening how many excuse this mediocre callapser, and say "no no he smiles, its the team. This guy had 0 mental approach. No wonder he was called Red Light Reimer.
Andersen is a good goalie who plays in front of a worse defence, and doesnt callapse. He also doesnt fool people with a smile in his post game.

The Reimer club just cant accept 31 teams dont believe he is an NHL starter. Why so much loving affection for a smiling goalie?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I know why do people keep defending Mediocre goalie Reimer. Its getting pathetic.
Looks like Florida has had enough of callapser Red light pathetic, hoorendous mental approach Reimer

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Pathetic "its never my fault" Reimer played in front of a better defence and always led the team to a callapse. If your a good goalie in this league, you stop a beachball in game 7 in last 10 minutes but he couldnt.
Its maddening how many excuse this mediocre callapser, and say "no no he smiles, its the team. This guy had 0 mental approach. No wonder he was called Red Light Reimer.
Andersen is a good goalie who plays in front of a worse defence, and doesnt callapse. He also doesnt fool people with a smile in his post game.

The Reimer club just cant accept 31 teams dont believe he is an NHL starter. Why so much loving affection for a smiling goalie?

Many people mistake the NHL for the "Good citizen league". Many people just blindly defend him because he is a "good guy" and an "easy guy to root for". Many posters have some strange attachment to players.

Reactions: stickty111

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I know why do people keep defending Mediocre goalie Reimer. Its getting pathetic.
Looks like Florida has had enough of callapser Red light pathetic, hoorendous mental approach Reimer
Reimer and Andersen are both mediocre goalies. The difference is we gave up a 1st and more money to get Andersen because he was supposed to be an upgrade. He isn't

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We know Raycroft, Toskala, Bernier, Reimer weren't good enough, no one is pining for the return of any of these players.
The question is whether Andersen is good enough? He hasn't proven to me yet that he is.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Reimer and Andersen are both mediocre goalies. The difference is we gave up a 1st and more money to get Andersen because he was supposed to be an upgrade. He isn't

he is clearly an upgrade. If you stop getting attached to Reimer, you would realize he is an upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad