Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-4 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The one downside of the particular Keefe style hockey like in the Arizona game is exhaustion. That kinda puck possession and skating isn't all that sustainable for 82 games. I hope they can resort to it though in a game 7 type of situation though the nerves would be too high for d men to jump in as much or to hold onto the puck as much such as when you can dump it in or skate it out of their o zone and try again. Everyone grips their sticks a bit tighter with more on the line.
Should be easier and not more tiring. It takes a lot of effort to hunt down pucks with stops/starts, flowing with puck control is much easier

Reactions: blueberrie

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
At least Barrie has the excuse of changing teams and dealing with Babcock to start.

I don't know what the hell has happened to Rielly this year. He started off horrible and it hasn't improved at all under Keefe. He's always been bad in his own zone, but now he also seems to have no confidence with the puck. Easily the most disappointing player this season.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sorry but huge pass. And thank god the Leafs passed too.

Go read and watch the Canes threads right now. They are absolutely tearing Gardiner apart... and hes on their 3rd pairing behind Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton.

Gardiner simply isn't very good anymore.
Hard to believe he would be worse than what we've seen on defense. Gards was always a good zone denial guy. We now have problems not only with zone denial but with d zone exits.
Not saying he would be a wish come true but for the money, I would rather have him in the lineup than Ceci

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Christ what a tool. This coming from the guy who mortgaged this franchises future on Phil Kessel.

I find it so interesting when Burke speak. He talks like he the godfather and knows everything. And while he might be very accurate in his rants as a sportscaster mouth piece, where was all this expertise when he was Leafs or even Flame executive?
In Toronto, he surrounded with a the highest number and paid executives whose sole job was dine with Burke and tell him how brilliant he was. When Burke was Leaf president/GM, it was the media's fault and the fans fault that the Leafs couldn't be a good team. Probably the laziest GM in the NHL during his tenure. He focused on his image instead of his job he hired to do. But I gotta give Burke credit, his image as allowed him to stay relevant as a sportscaster.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If Ceci had made the mistakes Barrie did tonight, some Leafs fans would have continued the rant to trade Ceci at any cost. But the teflon tandem of Reilly and Barrie can't get criticism.
Barrie definitely had problems but he has had good moments in the ozone. Ceci has 2 moments...either bad or middling

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Barrie definitely had problems but he has had good moments in the ozone. Ceci has 2 moments...either bad or middling

The good news if you're a Leaf fan, is that the team can play poorly and still win. Poor teams can often play well and still lose.
Actually the Leafs Dmen have played pretty competently since the Keefe arrived.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He talks like he the godfather and knows everything. And while he might be very accurate in his rants as a sportscaster mouth piece, where was all this expertise when he was Leafs or even Flame executive?

He wants to be Don Cherry #2

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
The good news if you're a Leaf fan, is that the team can play poorly and still win. Poor teams can often play well and still lose.
Actually the Leafs Dmen have played pretty competently since the Keefe arrived.
They have been better largely due to holl but even he has been pretty bad for the last 2 games. The give aways are atrocious. When the other team rushes, the dmen look slow as if they stopped skating for a spell and got caught flat footed.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Barrie top pairing D man from our blue line to their net. 7th D man level from our blue line in. And I think that’s fair.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The **** that Nylander has to deal with on a daily basis is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if one day he wants out of Toronto just because of it. It's never ending, and it doesn't matter what he does Sportsnet will still find the smallest mistake to magnify it and broadcast it to the world.

Must be exhausting. I know players say they don't pay attention to the media but it's hard to ignore it forever.
Poor Muffin how will he cope?
Christ give the player a little more credit than that. I doubt he’s that delicate.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Interesting tidbit.

Tampa Bay, starting tonight, plays 13 games by Jan 17th.

Including last night and tonight, we don’t play our 13th game until Feb 1. Nearly double the time.

So either Tampa Bay is going to catch up quickly, OR, we all the extra rest we have, we can put some separation

Reactions: willmma

horner

May 22, 2007
He's been one of are best players all year, but when I look at his pace for the year its at 65. Would everyone be happy if he barely got more than his career high in year 4?
I don't mind as long as his play without the puck improves .
When he trys to make a play and gives up the the puck . He gets on his horse to get it back like he did on the other goal.

Keep improving.

horner

May 22, 2007
Ceci gone, for sure. as far as Barrie goes, I'm not so sure on that. Some have said on HF hes asking for 8mill or whatever in his new contract. I'd prefer to listen to actual insiders. With numbers hes putting up this year if he REALLY wants 8 he could be sitting a long time. If we can free up some cap space to get Muzzin and Barrie done i'm all for it.

Also please for the love of God quit calling up Marincin. I dont know how much longer his contract goes for but I'm done with notifications almost every week saying that we've recalled him. Stop.

Barrie are you serious
I don't want him resigned for $5 he is useless defensively zero strength gets pushed of the puck all of the time.
His offense is not good enough to cover up for his defensive mistakes.

Resign Muzzin

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Barrie are you serious
I don't want him resigned for $5 he is useless defensively zero strength gets pushed of the puck all of the time.
His offense is not good enough to cover up for his defensive mistakes.

Resign Muzzin

100% this.

Muzzin needs to come back.

Trade Barrie at the TDL for a 1st and a prospect and call up Liljegren for the rest of the season.

We don’t want to resign Barrie and he’s been a disappointment. Getting something back for him is now the next best scenario.

Reactions: horner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Best thing about last night's game was that Hutch got the start. Babcock would have started Andersen for sure, so glad he's gone.

What's Hutch now, 2-0 under Keefe?

Let's keep rolling tonight baby!

Reactions: willmma

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Barrie since the coaching change...

Playing on the top pair.
Playing QB on the PP(#1 in the league since then)
53% possession
Lower expected goals for than Rielly, Muzzin and Holl
+29 scoring chances for and against
+8 high danger chances for and against
11 points in 16 games

Enjoy what he is people...

horner

May 22, 2007
Barrie since the coaching change...

Playing on the top pair.
Playing QB on the PP(#1 in the league since then)
53% possession
Lower expected goals for than Rielly, Muzzin and Holl
+29 scoring chances for and against
+8 high danger chances for and against
11 points in 16 games

Enjoy what he is people...

Keeps scoring 5 or 6 goals and we should win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad