Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 26, 2010
Not a good structured game from the Leafs. I found they were sloppy out there. I don’t even need to bring up the D tonight...:shakehead

Good thing it is only pre-season.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's one freakin' game; if this continues for 10+ games then yes worry; you are worrying about a 1 pre-season game where team was trying new breakouts and new set plays where they ended up giving the puck.

Babcock even admitted that they will have to work on it.

Additionally, they have to work on how to play in the defensive zone without the puck. Maybe that should be the top priority, it's easy to move the puck out of the net ... the linesman does that for you.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's one freakin' game; if this continues for 10+ games then yes worry; you are worrying about a 1 pre-season game where team was trying new breakouts and new set plays where they ended up giving the puck.

Babcock even admitted that they will have to work on it.

We give up to many shots

The right side is brutal

Hainsey is old and slow

The puck moving from the backend is average at best

Our breakouts are brutal, who knows what our system actually is

We look like it's a 5 alarm fire every time were in our own zone

The forwards blow the zone

Gardiner hasn't seen a stretch pass he doesn't think he can make

Exactly what we saw last season, Andersen shouldn't see this much rubber

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Kapanen looks like he's ready to make the jump. I don't think either Ennis or Johnsson have the strength to replace Leivo. If you replace Lievo, it would have to be by Marleau or Hyman for that line to maintain effectiveness.

Kappy looks 10-15 Lbs heavier. And hes just as fast. Up his usage babs!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Additionally, they have to work on how to play in the defensive zone without the puck. Maybe that should be the top priority, it's easy to move the puck out of the net ... the linesman does that for you.

attention to detail was lacking; which is meh as it is still pre-season mode; if Oct. 3rd you see such lackluster effort and mistakes then sure worry

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Was a fun game to watch anyways. We'll see if they get more structured in the next game.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Marner will go down as the second best pick of his draft year...

Tonight was a drastic reminder of Marner and his cost next season - should make Dubas really look at that Nylander cost and do it right.
Too early to tell, but if our D in 10 games still lets freddy see this much puck, and Nylander is still not signed, we could use the cap space for a blue line upgrade.

Reactions: coupe93

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Not impressed at all with Jonsson falling down over himself a few times and took some crappy penalties, no offense or support on the puck, Brown can't seem to get going loses puck battles, looks invisible and a step slow, Rosen was a giveaway machine tonight, Leivo was ok nothing special tonight you would think he would want to bite that puck in half to prove he deserves a spot. Jonsson has imho played crappy and invisible all camp as well as Brown, need to sign Nylander as he compliments Mathews best imo. I know its a pre season game but after getting pumped 5-1 I know not the same team, but dammit its the Habs I want to terrorize them in any game but the Leafs looked lacklustre tonight, unpolished, Habs seemed to be quicker and better passing plays.

Reactions: coupe93 and Once

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We give up to many shots

The right side is brutal

Hainsey is old and slow

Last season only 4 teams allowed less than 30 shots per game on average

NHL.com - Stats

Washing won the cup allowed 32 shots on average
Shots taken per game on average 29

Vegass SCF appearance allowed on average 31 shots
Shots taken per game on average 33

Leafs allowed on average 34 shots
Shots taken per game on average 32

The spread isn't too big to fret over.

• Hainsey is old and in his last year of the contract. Welcome to cap world
  • Breakouts would become relatively speaking better; no reason to fret about it right now
  • Your analysis is based on "one" game regarding the 5 am fire alarm. Was every pre-season game leafs defensive structure garbage?
  • I hate Gardiner stretch passes too

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
There is literally no way to minimize Marner's production. You play him with any of Matthews, Tavares, or Kadri and he's going to just simply tear teams apart. On the road against a team like boston, I'd highly recommend playing him with Kadri, that way, they have to deal with one of Matthews, Tavares, Marner no matter how they match their lines against us.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
We give up to many shots

The right side is brutal

Hainsey is old and slow

Rosen was the worst defender on either team, Gards had his issues (one of which you highlighted) and Rielly was a possession black hole tonight.

The right side outplayed the left by a significant margin tonight. Hainsey was OK, Zaitsev was a rock and Oz was up and down but looked like Pronger next to Rosen out there.

I do agree the forwards blowing the zone created more than a few problems for all pairings though.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Home playoff game
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Levio - Kadri - Brown
Johnson - Lindholm - Kapanen
Ennis

Gardiner - Reilly
Hainsey - Zeitsev
Dermott - Oz
Rosen

Road playoff game
Hyman- Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Brown
Levio - Kadri - Marner
Johnson - Lindholm - Kapanen
Ennis

Reilly - Zeitsev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Oz
Rosen

*Dermott still has to prove himself to be better than Hainsey

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Number One PP unit feels too stacked. Sure, it's one game and they were productive, but there really doesn't feel like there's enough puck to go around. You could almost see it working better as two distributed units...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Number One PP unit feels too stacked. Sure, it's one game and they were productive, but there really doesn't feel like there's enough puck to go around. You could almost see it working better as two distributed units...
huh? that unit looked extremely good, especially since it was the first time they played together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad