Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Didn't get to watch this one. Based on the extremely condensed highlights on NHL.com, it was a good win.

Season sweep + Matthews goal + win = Good times

f*** the Habs. Let's effin go baby.

Given the schedule ( 6 more games); I'd like...

- Matthews to get to 70 goals ASAP and same with Nylander to 100 points
- Keep the offense spread out it creates match up problems for the opposition

And more importantly at least for me. This is how I'd roll the goalies

Next Week
Monday Vs Pens (Samsonov)
Tuesday @ Devils (Woll)
Thursday Vs Devils (Jones)
Saturday Vs RedWings (Woll)

Following week: [ Rest Samsonov. And hopefully by then Matthews and Nylander have got to their respective totals and they can get last couple games off. Meanwhile we can run 11F and 7D to get some extra reps for Edmundson, Timmins, Liljegren* (if he is back). ]

Tuesday @ Florida (Woll)
Wednesday @ Tampa (Jones)
I don't think sitting your game 1 starter for two weeks makes sense.

I would suggest Woll, Samsonov, Woll, Samsonov, Samsonov, Woll. Jones ain't seeing the crease.

Also, for shits and giggles, L, L, W, W, L, W?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Random thought...

My two non-Leaf favourite players are Adrian Kempe and Nick Suzuki. Would love to see both in a Leafs uniform while they are still productive. Imagine Nick as a 2C in TOR... man what a dream.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Back then, it was Matthews and Marner as the main drivers. I don't think anyone realistically maintained the idea of a Nylander running a line. Credit to him for taking a massive step.

Just look at the salaries to see how the team viewed them.

Everyone running their own line would be Matthews, Marner, and one of Tavares/Nylander on separate lines with the other of Tavares/Nylander slotting in with one of the other 3. Babcock didn’t really use the 3rd or 4th line coherently to make a true spread out attack, he mostly just neutered the top 6 by splitting up their PP minutes and putting out his trusty grinders in critical moments. His 4th lines barely played and his 3rd lines were just there to kill time so one of the top 2 could catch a breath.

Reactions: arso40

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
League should just hand Matthews his Rocket at this point. Hoping Nylander wakes up and gets to 100 points alongside AM.

Suzuki is low key a stud. Envy the Habs for having him.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Holmberg is a pain to watch in that impressive top 9. It's like when you're in grade 1 and you get those "what doesn't belong in this picture" assignment

Congrats on your breakout season Nylander. Your reward is finishing the season with a replaceable 4C

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Holmberg is a pain to watch in that impressive top 9. It's like when you're in grade 1 and you get those "what doesn't belong in this picture" assignment

Congrats on your breakout season Nylander. Your reward is finishing the season with a replaceable 4C
Knowing keefe we’ll revert back to Domi as 3C lol. Just blender blunder before playoffs , like a complete buffoon.

Crazy enough , I woulda tried Marner as 3C in this game. Just for fun, not full time (giving Knies and Robertson some cool looks against lower competition)

Top6
Knies-Marner-Robertson
4th line

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
So when Tkachuk was asked this week on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast about Greig's slapshot into an empty net that sent the Toronto Maple Leafs and their gigantic fan base into a rage spiral, it was no surprise that he got a kick out of it.
I'm not gonna lie to you," Tkachuk said. "I was crying, laughing – until the cross-check happened, and then the wires crossed a little bit. So, you know what? If you know (Greig), and I hope a lot of people get to know him, he's one of the best guys around.
What a stupid hypocritical pos. Too bad we don’t play them again this season.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario

Yeah I agree he doesn't look on the same level as our skilled players but he's young and makes great plays once in a while. There's room to grow he's getting valuable experience.

That said I would swap him out for Robertson in a heartbeat if I were the coach. His shooting ability is on another level than Holmberg's.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick?

Inside Keefe's walnut size brain of his, he finally figured out that the best strategy when you have 4 forwards that consume 1/2 your salary cap that the best plan of attack is divide the wealth among 3 lines to build a balanced attack and then find a functioning 4th line that can contribute.
Looks like yesterday's lines and potential playoff starting line-up will finally attempt to do that. :clap:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmo89

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Who says you can't teach and old dog a new trick?

Inside Keefe's walnut size brain of his, he finally figured out that the best strategy when you have 4 forwards that consume 1/2 your salary cap that the best plan of attack is divide the wealth among 3 lines to build a balanced attack and then find a functioning 4th line that can contribute.
Looks like yesterday's lines and potential playoff starting line-up will finally attempt to do that. :clap:
The only thing Keefe has finally figured out about arranging his 12 options is what assortment of donuts to choose for his daily box of 12 from Tim Hortons.

• Haha
Reactions: Altair and Jmo89

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’ve been hearing great things about Reavo so I had to check it out for myself, and last night he could actually take a shift. Great to see. Bertuzzi also looked like he belonged in the NHL. Marner was naturally buzzing around, although he was a little rusty, he’ll probably have a great week.

Overall, there was no atmosphere and it was another horribly boring hockey game.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
There is no reason at all to play Jones. If they want to rest Samsonov, they will play Woll. Jones won't play another game for this team unless there is an injury.
Woll needs as much as he can get right now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Seemed like a double standard to me. We can do it to other teams, but other teams can't do it to us.

I know it was a bit different as time had expired, but whatever !!!
Seems like the exact standard. Players don’t like that stuff.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Reaves' transformation has been astonishing. He was barely AHL level at the start of the season and now he's a decent 4th liner.
Yup. He also wasn't dropping the gloves early in the season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think it would be wise to give him and Tavares a bit of load management. Not Matthews because he’s going for 70 and not Mitch or Morgan because they have missed enough time.

I don’t care about 70 as long as he breaks Ovy’s cap era record
66 is a fine number in honour of Lemieux
67 because nobody has scored exactly 67 and the obvious significance
68 because not even Jagr has scored 68
69 would be…nice
70 - a nice round number

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Who says you can't teach and old dog a new trick?

He's run them on 3 separate lines a number of times and even started TB1 that way. Amazing that people who watch this team so regularly don't know this

Reactions: Dekes For Days

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Habs fans are weird. Why come to our forum to troll after the Leafs sweeping them in 4?

And this is the gem I came across earlier:

Golf Habs Golf

We don't have a Slaffkovsky but we do have a Matthew Knies; got him late in the 2nd round, not a huge difference.
1712497316996.png

1712497356551.png

1712497401743.png

1712497441320.png

Knies actually has 1 more point at even stregnth with less minutes & games played lol, he wouldn't see PP1 here.

I'd prefer our early 1st round picks to turn out like Matthews, Marner or Nylander.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I mean you're 6 goals away from 70 with 6 games to go he might as well try, especially when it hasn't been done in like 30 years now.
I'd rather he chill and be ready for playoffs.To score 6 in the last 6 games requires max exposure to injury. That 70 record won't mean much if we flop first round.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
We don't have a Slaffkovsky but we do have a Matthew Knies; got him late in the 2nd round, not a huge difference.
View attachment 847594
View attachment 847595
View attachment 847596
View attachment 847597
Knies actually has 1 more point at even stregnth with less minutes & games played lol, he wouldn't see PP1 here.

I'd prefer our early 1st round picks to turn out like Matthews, Marner or Nylander.
Eye test from admittedly cherry picked time period (ie, last half of the season or so) tells me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad