Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Jim Hughson was at his best last night, cherry picking legitimate ( and cherry picked) stats, but exploiting the small crack to wedge his way into his usual anti Leaf diatribes.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
My favourite Hughson moment was comparing Sandin's poise to Quinn Hughes. "Really reminds me of Quinn Hughes on the Vancouver Canucks" he said, as if he needed to mention the team when he brings up Vancouver on just about every broadcast. Surprised he didn't comment on Matthews improved defense this year by calling him a young Bo Horvat.

Reactions: crump

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Partially

Maybe not, but it wouldn't be the first time their efforts have waned because they didn't like coaching decisions.

Ah, you think Keefe is more likely to play Andy, whether its best for the team or not, because he'll be concerned that Andy's friends won't play as hard if their friend Andy doesn't play. I understand, I think, what you are saying.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Ah, you think Keefe is more likely to play Andy, whether its best for the team or not, because he'll be concerned that Andy's friends won't play as hard if their friend Andy doesn't play. I understand, I think, what you are saying.
I think it's a possibility......however, I also think that this whole "Freddie is crap" is getting way overblown.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Nothing is set in stone yet. But I just hate it when the Leafs were 5 pts back, medias and even fans were saying Leafs is probably better to tank....but when Habs was 5pts back after beating the Leafs last Sat, medias alike are saying Habs is back in the playoffs hunt....
Stuff like that pisses me off.
They say what they think will generate the most clicks n' views. That's all it is.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I think it's a possibility......however, I also think that this whole "Freddie is crap" is getting way overblown.

Yeah, I disagree. I don't think it's a possibility that Keefe bases his decisions on friendships between players, and worrying if he doesn't play one player, that that player's friend's might not try as hard.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yeah, I disagree. I don't think it's a possibility that Keefe bases his decisions on friendships between players, and worrying if he doesn't play one player, that that player's friend's might not try as hard.

You may be right, and I hope you are.

I will point out that 34 & 16 have wanted to play together for ages. Now I'm not saying that was a bad decision, but they got their wish shortly after Keefe took over.

I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ugly ugly ugly

But I would take it.

Ottawa isn't an easy win for us for whatever reasons. D J Smith has them playing a defensive structure that suits them, and they work hard it seems every game.

Last edited:

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

I will point out that 34 & 16 have wanted to play together for ages. Now I'm not saying that was a bad decision, but they got their wish shortly after Keefe took over.

If they made a case they wanted to play together because they thought they would play well together, and wanted that, I think Keefe would decide on the hockey merits of it, in the main.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I will point out that 34 & 16 have wanted to play together for ages.
You mean the two best players on the team wanted to play with each other? *gasp* :eek:
Now I'm not saying that was a bad decision, but they got their wish shortly after Keefe took over. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.
Yeah, I'm sure playing the best playmaker on the team with the best goal scorer on the team was totally just placating Matthews/Marner, and not a beyond obvious decision that's best for the team and should have happened years earlier if not for a stubborn coach. :eyeroll:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

34 also didn’t want to play with Hyman.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You mean the two best players on the team wanted to play with each other? *gasp* :eek:

Yeah, I'm sure playing the best playmaker on the team with the best goal scorer on the team was totally just placating Matthews/Marner, and not a beyond obvious decision that's best for the team and should have happened years earlier if not for a stubborn coach. :eyeroll:

I guess it was just a coincidence, as I also stated.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Last night felt so much like a home game, I was a bit confused when the horn went after the Sens scored.

But I think the horn guy was also confused because it only went for 1 second.

Reactions: leafsfan5

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
A good coach making better hockey decisions than an old, outdated, stubborn coach is no coincidence.
Wow....you're really struggling with this one.

This coincidence I was referring to was that:
a) 34 & 16 expressed that they would like to play together
b) It happened shortly after Keefe became head coach

The inference was that perhaps 34 & 16 influenced Keefe's decision or perhaps it had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

It had nothing to do with the old, outdated, stubborn coach that you seem so obsessed with.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The best players on a team, that happen to stylistically mesh, wanting to play together is not a coincidence.
Keefe making good hockey decisions was not a coincidence.
The inference was that perhaps 34 & 16 influenced Keefe's decision
Based on absolutely nothing.

And actually, your suggestion was that Matthews/Marner just won't try if they don't get what they want, for which there is also zero evidence.
It had nothing to do with the old, outdated, stubborn coach
Actually, them not playing together had everything to do with the old, outdated, stubborn coach we had previously.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The best players on a team, that happen to stylistically mesh, wanting to play together is not a coincidence.
Keefe making good hockey decisions was not a coincidence.

Based on absolutely nothing.

And actually, your suggestion was that Matthews/Marner just won't try if they don't get what they want, for which there is also zero evidence.

Actually, them not playing together had everything to do with the old, outdated, stubborn coach we had previously.

Ok Dekes.....you're right.

Your responses had nothing to do with what you quoted, but what you did say was mostly correct.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

34 also didn’t want to play with Hyman.

Wow....you're really struggling with this one.

The inference was that perhaps 34 & 16 influenced Keefe's decision or perhaps it had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

It had nothing to do with the old, outdated, stubborn coach that you seem so obsessed with.

Babcock put them together last year and the year before

Matthews says he liked playing with Marner and Martin | The Star

Leafs' Babcock pairs Matthews and Marner to 'ignite something' - Sportsnet.ca

That light, boyhood feeling — elusive in most adult workplaces — has always permeated the relationship between Matthews, Marner and their road dad
And now? They’re all hopping the boards at once. The nuclear option. The creatives get to create.

“We’re roommates on the road, so we hang out quite a bit. We’ve played together before; we’ve had the chemistry out there,” Marner said. “I also think I’m there for support, make sure I talk to him while I’m on the ice. We haven’t played together a whole lot, so it’s gonna need a little warming up to do, but we’ve got to do it quick.”

Matthews believes their off-ice chemistry can translate to on-ice results.

“We spend a lot of time with Patty on the road, so hopefully the three of us can complement each other well, get some stuff rolling,” Matthews said.
“Maybe you get a little pep in your step playing with other guys that you don’t usually get to play with, so hopefully we ignite something here.”

last January 21st 2019, It didn't really snap the Leafs out of their goal scoring funk at that time, so after a couple of games Marner went back with JT, putting them together this year has made a difference for whatever reason

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Take the 2 points and know Ottawa gave way to much open ice the whole game. I don’t think we seen as much room to skate in quite a bunch of games. Buffalo won’t give as much so they better play good defense and generate offense off playing good defense against the Sabres.

The devense can’t pinch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad