Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
After two losses against the Canucks: "this team sucks, we're going to get swept in the first round"

After two wins against the Jets: "this team is cruising through to the semi-finals"

Lol. Love you guys (and girls). Never change leafs board....
It's typically posters who aren't even actually Leafs fans who love showing up after a loss to talk shit

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
That’s a great game

Nick is gritty and solid. He creates a lot of room for AM and MM.

Simmonds was physical and I love how he shove Perrealt right after the head shot on JT. Personally, I think that should be a fine and even a suspension. Also love AM shoving the Jets when JT felt.

JT hits another gear and he is only getting better.
Willie was really good and I like Gally being with them bc his speed is great.
I think only McDavid can beat Soup in a race, he is super fast and once he figures out how to score, he will be scary.
Kerfoot and Brooks were really solid, nothing spectacular but just simple effective hockey.
Spezza is due a break out game.
Jumbo, scoring a Andrechuk style goal and getting into scraps like Wendal, that’s the vet we needed.
The D were great except Reilly.
Sandin is a gem, I love what Bieska said about the Wheeler hit.
Jack is back, and I am glad. He was solid all game.

I didn't like Nick's game to be honest. I thought he would be more engaged at least
that whole line looked off tonight

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Poor John takes so much punishment but he just keeps on trucking. What a guy.

He got nailed both by Kassian and Perrault.

This is John Tavares we are talking about. This man single handily won us the WJC, he was part of our Olympic team(yeah he f up his knee)

He was booed and hit hard in his home return
then he gets hit by Kassian ( clean hit)
then a third liner like Perrault

I have no problem our players getting hit. Tonight's wasn't a clean one. At some point you have to screw the pp and just pummle someone
I am happy with the win but we could have and would have still win the game with Simmonds pummeling Perrault

We didn't even do anything on that PP.. Forget the PP, forget the 1 goal we are gonna give up. You can't let players just take freebies
Simmonds push him back but really didn't do much. That could have been Rielly pushed him back

But overall a very good game. We hit them equally. Wish we had more response, like a bad ass one
I am ok sitting Kerfoot next game in favor of Saboruin. Let him do something stupid. Stupid can be good sometimes

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
I would say that was an A+ playoff tune up game. Probably the best win of the season. Solid defensive effort, kept playing to protect the lead, solid goaltending and a lot of mind games, scrums and physical play. Great job by everyone.

For sure!!!! solid effort by all !!
If we can play like this every night, the buds are gonna go deep!

Reactions: Vaive50

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I am ok sitting Kerfoot next game in favor of Saboruin. Let him do something stupid. Stupid can be good sometimes
Yeah, I don't think it works that way any more.

You can't just send out a goon with a Bertuzzi-Moore type mission in this day and age. There are repercussions.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Very pleased with this one.

Sandin dropping Wheeler was great.

So were all four goals.

Loved Thornton's wrap-around to start it and his jawing with Ehlers to end it. He didn't email anything in tonight.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
After two losses against the Canucks: "this team sucks, we're going to get swept in the first round"

After two wins against the Jets: "this team is cruising through to the semi-finals"

Lol. Love you guys (and girls). Never change leafs board....

I hear ya but it wasn't just 2 horrible losses to a team much worse than us coming off Covid but it was also the Leafs 5th straight loss, all which had horrible goaltending, not being able to hold a lead, not able to win in OT, not able to score that one goal when we really needed it.

I myself don't think stupid things like they won't even make the playoffs but I do sometimes wonder why they drive us fans crazy when we know they are capable of much better. Well, let's hope we can manhandle the Habs as we play them 4 times in our next 6 games and no doubt that will be our first round match-up.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
missed first two periods just caught the highlights. heart still racing after seeing marner crash into the boards

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
He got nailed both by Kassian and Perrault.

This is John Tavares we are talking about. This man single handily won us the WJC, he was part of our Olympic team(yeah he f up his knee)

He was booed and hit hard in his home return
then he gets hit by Kassian ( clean hit)
then a third liner like Perrault

I have no problem our players getting hit. Tonight's wasn't a clean one. At some point you have to screw the pp and just pummle someone
I am happy with the win but we could have and would have still win the game with Simmonds pummeling Perrault

We didn't even do anything on that PP.. Forget the PP, forget the 1 goal we are gonna give up. You can't let players just take freebies
Simmonds push him back but really didn't do much. That could have been Rielly pushed him back

But overall a very good game. We hit them equally. Wish we had more response, like a bad ass one
Saboruin is on LTIR and I wouldn’t do that. That guy can’t do anything.

Reactions: egd27

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Yeah, I don't think it works that way any more.

You can't just send out a goon with a Bertuzzi-Moore type mission in this day and age. There are repercussions.

Again, why does it have to be that? it's not a zero sum game

Is Perrault going to get suspended for that hit? was that at Bertuzzi level?

You do the same, just on Ehlers or Wheeler. simple as that

Why does it have to be that extreme?

I was surprised to see John get back up. That could beeen bad, like really bad type of elbow. He had no intention of playing the puck and he knew who the target was

People here make things up like it has to be armagaden or nothing. How many times did Dubois take runs at Matthews tonight?

You take few runs at their best player, they'll back down. Winnipeg players are trash, but they are not stupid

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
DOPS should be looking at Perreault as well, his headshot on Tavares should be at the minimal a fine.

Edit: the hit:

I mean the ref could have called boarding, charging or elbowing and any of the three would have been correct.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I mean the ref could have called boarding, charging or elbowing and any of the three would have been correct.
That looks like an intent to injure to me. Looked like he was targeting a head shot with his elbow pad (which are very hard - cherry did a piece on elbow pads years ago).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad