Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-2 in a Shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
So babs is now the villian for leaf fans who want a rebuilt team that can win a cup

I sure hope not.

He's made cast aways look good and a team that was supposed to be in the Auston Matthews sweep steaks look like one that might slip into the playoffs but realistically finish ~9th worst. The whole "process over winning" mantra has helped the team not only with being competitive, but also in providing flattering minutes to not-so-flattering players. Marincin, for instance, has played as solid as a bottom pairing defenseman can... his play reminds me of Gunnarsson--you know Dion's partner. But then we look just 4 months ago and what was his status league-wide?

As for the game at hand, the reffing was atrocious. They take Polak out for that weak call but leave that AHLer (farnam?) out to do whatever. Even with that being the case, Winnik, you know our leading PK man barely played shorthanded minutes (0:14). This team either dominated the Devils or the Devils just didn't come to play tonight. Speaking of Winnik, while he might not produce much in terms of numbers, he knows exactly where to go at all times. Highly underrated talent on all 200ft of ice.

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
we're still a point or two away from the bottom of the league, tanknation should not be worried. we'll make a late run for ping pong balls once pareanteau and polak and whoever are traded

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yeah we're winning some games and still at the bottom, which is basically perfect.

Team is playing really good consistently which is probably the most important thing. Systems and work ethic in place for future young guys to come into.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
we're still a point or two away from the bottom of the league, tanknation should not be worried. we'll make a late run for ping pong balls once pareanteau and polak and whoever are traded

I think the "Babcock - effect" will cost us a couple of positions in the draft. Without Babcock we have an ideal tank roster. Babcock alone will squeeze an extra 5 - 6 wins out of this roster. We are probable looking at a #6-#10 Overall Pick instead of a Top 5. Still some nice players available. This year there will be no late season swoon, with players organizing there future Tee times in March. Even if Lamorillo manages to off-load a UFA for a draft pick at the TDL the work ethic dictate from Babcock will still result in an improved steady performance. with the same winning percentage maintained before and after the TDL. We are more likely to have a Top 10 draft pick rather than a Top 5 pick.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013

The leafs might get better when the marlies get called up. I am worried about a late season run.

There is a lot of Marlies with something to prove and the ability to do it.

Except for a playoff run Nylander Brown, Leivo and Harington are done with the AHL.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Lol I say we give up on giving up. Marner, Nylander, and Timashov coming to the team soon, we really don't need to tank imho

Some of you make it sound like a BAD thing to make the playoffs smh

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think the "Babcock - effect" will cost us a couple of positions in the draft. Without Babcock we have an ideal tank roster. Babcock alone will squeeze an extra 5 - 6 wins out of this roster. We are probable looking at a #6-#10 Overall Pick instead of a Top 5. Still some nice players available. This year there will be no late season swoon, with players organizing there future Tee times in March. Even if Lamorillo manages to off-load a UFA for a draft pick at the TDL the work ethic dictate from Babcock will still result in an improved steady performance. with the same winning percentage maintained before and after the TDL. We are more likely to have a Top 10 draft pick rather than a Top 5 pick.

Oh well.

I guess we won't become the Edmonton Oilers.

If Babcock can develop a winning team, the draft picks we do get will be more effective.

Not only that, but Babcock is making some of the Leafs' UFA's look good. Lou might be able to turn a few of them into more draft picks that can only help build the talent base.

Any of Spaling, Matthias, Grabner, Parenteau, Boyes, Polak, Reimer and even Hunwick (who is not a UFA but has one more year at $1.2M) could easily become redundant and be traded by the TDL for other assets.

Pruning away some of the older players would make room for some younger ones coming up through the system.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Makes you think, if only Bernier wasn't a complete sieve at the start of the year...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The leafs might get better when the marlies get called up. I am worried about a late season run.

Except for a playoff run Nylander Brown, Leivo and Harington are done with the AHL.

Nylander and Harrington are good to go. Not sure on Brown or Leivo though. You could try them.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
The puck possession late in the third reminded me of how the Bruins were when they were relentlessly on the puck and kept it in the zone against the leafs a couple of times.

Good win and the teams lower in the standings are also winning, still closer to the bottom than we are to a playoff spot.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sparkles is off to a great NHL start winning 3 of his first 4 games.

He looks pretty steady in the net and gives one confidence he is going to make a save when its needed.

Its nice to see Babcock continuing to get the most out his players by his game plan.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Brown has a broken ankle. He will finish the year with the Marlies.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Sparkles is off to a great NHL start winning 3 of his first 4 games.

He looks pretty steady in the net and gives one confidence he is going to make a save when its needed.

Its nice to see Babcock continuing to get the most out his players by his game plan.

First time in a while I'm not cringing every time there's a shot on our net

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Seriously? Sending Sparks down? Guess they still want some trade bait out of Bernier. But that could cost the team some points, the team seems to play well in front of Sparks.

Its getting crazy, what IF they are in contention for a playoff spot? I fully expect that if they allowed Marner and Nylander to play with the Leafs that would inject some huge talent and points into the mix. Just a thought.

OvenMittz*

I'm not worried about the marlies players coming up. Because the more talented ones are staying down (other than a short 9game stint).

Maybe some Marlie vets if we need them but just to fill a roster spot.

The marlies are going to push for the Calder cup and the leafs are showcasing and getting picks. Also they will most likely ge short term dumps in return so there won't be many spots available after TDL maybe enough to let some of the scratched players on the leafs play and probably 1 or 2 call ups like Leivo and Panik.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Hard to determine these guys. You have Babcock pushing to win every night. Yet the moves are mysterious at times. Not having Nylander up, now sending Sparks down.

If you had Nylander up with Babcock, who knows this crazy team could be where N.J. is, in the standings, perhaps fairly easily.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
These guys minimize their excitement cause they know you can lose ten games straight any time in the NHL. Long season.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Brown, coming off an injury, will probably not be up here. He may start next season in the A as well

Just my opinion of course but I see Brown as not letting an opportunity slip by. Even if he has missed half the year.

I think he is going to be the Greg Terrion of the leaf rebuild. Once he gets a chance Babcock will love him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just my opinion of course but I see Brown as not letting an opportunity slip by. Even if he has missed half the year.

I think he is going to be the Greg Terrion of the leaf rebuild. Once he gets a chance Babcock will love him.

That would be cool, Terrion was one of my favorite players! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce