Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Mathews gets pushed by Anderson nobody stands up for him .

When are we going to stand up for our star players.

We are such a gutless team.

And to all the non fighters on this forum this is our best player .
I don't care if we get an instigating penalty or a major , send a message to the league that he is off limits.
I thought Matthews did quite well for himself and I prefer that. Sid had to establish that he was no easy target and now Matthews is.
I really like it

horner

May 22, 2007
I thought Matthews did quite well for himself and I prefer that. Sid had to establish that he was no easy target and now Matthews is.
I really like it
I agree that Mathews stood up for himself but he is one of the players we can not afford to lose .

When I played hockey if you went after our star players we went after you .
We have no one that will even hit Anderson so sad.

Reactions: shaner82

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
From what I saw, this was a well played game. Happy that the team is maintaining strong defense even when they're not scoring. That's good composure.

Willy made up for that defensive gaffe in a big way. What a beauty game winner.

A bit concerned about Matthews' wrist but that sounds like something that can easily be fixed with some rest.

Kudos to Hutch for a strong game in net.

The PP saved our butts earlier in the season and it couldn't stay hot forever. I just hope they can figure out the adjustments sooner than later.

Reactions: mclaren55

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree that Mathews stood up for himself but he is one of the players we can not afford to lose .

When I played hockey if you went after our star players we went after you .
We have no one that will even hit Anderson so sad.
But now if you go after someone is an automatic 2 minutes. Also it won't stop the cheap shots. The league has to know if you go after Matthews he will deal out the justice imo
He is becoming a big dominant centre and this is part of that. He is reminding me of Mackinnon.
Right now on the forecheck we are missing Thornton and Simmonds and that's a lot of grit gone from the top 6. Anderson will recieve his dues soon

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarmore

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Leafs really turned it on in the second half of the game. They looked flat and uninspried in the first part but clearly where the better team in the late 2nd and 3rd.

Willy blew the coverage on that Calgary goal. I thought he was going to get benched but kuddos to him for getting the equalizer the the GWG. He needs to remember to go to the net more, I think he was 2nd or 3rd in the league last year with net front goals.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Oh man, imagine if we we were first overall missing our starting goalie, our backup goalie, a 1st line winger, a 2nd line winger, and our #3 on the blue line. We won despite all those injuries. Where are we in the standings again?
Kadri on matthews wing would be something I think though

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Hats off to Hutch.
Stepping up pretty well, overall.

Lends some confidence to a tandem situation moving forward.

Reactions: Lumberg

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This is what I think.
Really good to see Willy smiling. Hopefully, this gives him a boost.
JT looked better IMO.
Whatever it takes to get these guys going, Keefe should do it including separating Marner & Matthews for a short time. Even if it costs those guys awards or whatever personal accomplishment, the team needs to come first. I don't want to go into the playoffs with 2 strong forwards not performing.
The confidence of these guys matter and I don't really care what they are paid so don't @ME over that. They aren't getting moved in the near future so they need to be good for the leafs to win.

Happy hutch had a good game.

The trap caused some problems early but at least Keefe adjusted to a dump and chase game.
Dermott really good but I'd like to see more slappers from the point. He has a good shot and the team is a bit weak at it.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
OK I'm imagining this team with a slow defensive liability at center......and yup, no, no thanks.

Yeah, I miss Kadri because of his ability to play on the PP well but that kind of became an afterthought after we got Tavares. There was really nothing else that he did great. On ES he was just okay, couldn't be relied upon to win draws, couldn't kill penalties. What is that kind of 3C good for?

Reactions: stickty111

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
The Matthews wrist injury explains alot... 2 games now he has been bobbling pucks a bit, when he's usually like a kitten and the puck is a ball of yarn stuck to it's claws. The fact he's been "battling the wrist all season" and still shown that lethal shot is amazing. Rest up Mats we need you buddy.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
serious question
Marner and Nylander don't like each other?
Noticed Mitch was the only one who hasn't jumped up from the bench when William scored the OT winner
also
William shoved Mitch after he scored the GTG
??????

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
And where does our 11 million dollar Capt play? Third line? Thats about as smart as having Willy be the 3C like some have suggested. 17 pts in 21 games and some folks act like hes a cap dump now.
Centering the 3rd line and playing on the 1st PP unit. Give him Kerfoot and Mikheyev that will offset how slow he is. Nylander needs a better playmaker to get him going.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
First period seemed pretty even, not a lot going on, but we put the pedal down to the metal in the 2nd and didn't let off. Could really feel the tension and frustration building as Rittich made save after save and it really felt like a matter of time until we got our backs broken. Mangiapane's goal (man, he's a good player) felt like it was guaranteed to happen. But the Leafs do feel a little different this year. They battled back to tie it and as I sat on the couch negotiating with myself whether I'd be okay with an OT loss or not, Willy sealed the deal. This team is playing like they believe they'll win every night and they're actually putting in the work to make it happen. The effort is there, the defensive structure is there, the dogged determination to win is all there.

If our powerplay gets back on track the rest of the division better look out. If Tavares gets going, the division better look out. When we get healthy, the division better look out. This Leafs team is good.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
First period seemed pretty even, not a lot going on, but we put the pedal down to the metal in the 2nd and didn't let off. Could really feel the tension and frustration building as Rittich made save after save and it really felt like a matter of time until we got our backs broken. Mangiapane's goal (man, he's a good player) felt like it was guaranteed to happen. But the Leafs do feel a little different this year. They battled back to tie it and as I sat on the couch negotiating with myself whether I'd be okay with an OT loss or not, Willy sealed the deal. This team is playing like they believe they'll win every night and they're actually putting in the work to make it happen. The effort is there, the defensive structure is there, the dogged determination to win is all there.

If our powerplay gets back on track the rest of the division better look out. If Tavares gets going, the division better look out. When we get healthy, the division better look out. This Leafs team is good.

Yup. I said it before - this was the best game of the year. Played hard all night, on the verge of being shut out back to back, PP failing miserably, it would have been easy to just give up and say it's just not our night but ... they kept battling and it finally paid off.

So happy for Hutch. The crap he's taken on these boards has been embarrassing and boy did he even come through for us!!

Both teams played hard but we were clearly better and we won. Most enjoyable game of the season by a mile, can't wait for McDavid and the Oilers on Saturday night.

Give Matthews time to rest if he needs it. We need him healthy for the playoffs. :nod:

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
serious question
Noticed Mitch was the only one who hasn't jumped up from the bench when William scored the OT winner
also
??????

You're making that up.

Reactions: robertmac43

Breakaway3527

Feb 26, 2010
serious question
also
??????

If you look at replay. Marner was not watching the play. So hard to cheer when you don't see it and he did not know who scored. I seen him do this before

Reactions: stickty111

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought the Leafs played a very good defensive game. The Flames didn't get anything going and Hutchinson made a couple good saves.

I questioned the Bogosian signing, but he's been really good this season. I thought last night he did a lot of good plays.

Leafs really need some forwards to step up while Matthews and Marner are falling back down to earth a little. Tavares is struggling badly and is getting no bounces.

Last edited:

Gardiner

#Shredder
Dec 6, 2011
serious question
also
??????

Go checkout Marners IG story.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Unreal from Willie. Love when he chips in with some goals but I thought his overall game was solid throughout.

Post-game he acknowledged he's has a slow couple of weeks and wants to up his game. Hopefully, he can follow through for us.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
serious question
also
??????
Bravo is the television network you'll want to subscribe to. Real Housewives, Selling Sunset, Kardiashians, all that drama stuff. Below Deck is probably the show that would appeal most to the average hockey viewer, so maybe start there and work your way up to the platinum tier drama shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad