Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in OT

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Almost got goalied but glad to see we pulled through with a win. I passed out before OT and missed the Matthews magic unfortunately

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Not to sound dumb, but can't the same be said about any team against any other team?
No. When two hardworking teams meet, the better-coached and more talented team will win. Here we see a lazy, talented team losing to a hardworking bottom feeder.

Reactions: arso40

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The Leafs started the game lazily, running and gunning. Anaheim was solid in the first. There were lots of takeaways, and they pinned the Leafs in their zone a lot.
Keefe changed the tactics in the second. Dump and chase now. They actually had to work now. And now they have pinned Anaheim. Tired and confused, the Duck line iced the puck. It was the moment to score the first goal and crush the Ducks. Lazy Brodie skating back instead, and there was no icing. Soon, Anaheim will score and gain momentum.
Plus, the Leafs' defensive coverage is beyond atrocious. They use zonal coverage when they have, like, zero personnel competent enough to apply it. Lots of holes.
That’s such garbage dude, we absolutely dominated them in the first, what are talking about? lol.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Back back games on a west coast raid trip.

Back to back wins baby!!

That Ducks goalie played the game of his life. Looked like Hasek reborn. If not for him, this game would have been over long before OT.

I love the team showing up to play from puck drop and staying focused till the end.

Go Leafs Go!!!

Reactions: DarkKnight

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Nice goal post move, you said we were hemmed in and playing run and gun, Anaheim solid. The exact opposite occurred. You’re trying to fit your tortured narrative into a game that doesn’t resemble your steaming bullshit argument. Cheers.
Did you watch the game? Yes, the Leafs got pinned in the first in the zone a lot.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
That’s such garbage dude, we absolutely dominated them in the first, what are talking about? lol.
Someone who obviously didn't watch the game with an unbiased eye. The Leafs absolutely dominated the Ducks from start to finish and the score should have been something like 6-1. But I'm sure this individual still wouldn't have been satisfied.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I woke up this morning checked the box scores and saw Tavares scored but that was only his 12th of the season. Then I looked at his point total and was surprised what he had after his hot start. First 7 he had 11 points his next 29 games he’s got 22 points. For 33 in 36. 5 goals in his last 20 games.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I woke up this morning checked the box scores and saw Tavares scored but that was only his 12th of the season. Then I looked at his point total and was surprised what he had after his hot start. First 7 he had 11 points his next 29 games he’s got 22 points. For 33 in 36. 5 goals in his last 20 games.
Yeah he needs to be better. If he's not getting a point per game then he's not justifying his massive contract. He's not even that old yet.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Still can't believe McMann got a 5 for a shoulder to shoulder
Boarding, in the simplest of explanation, is a penalty called when a player body checks or pushes an opponent into the boards in a manner that is considered dangerous or unnecessarily violent.

The severity of the penalty can either be a minor, major or even a game misconduct based on the severity of the hit.

The interpretation of the rule was correct on the part of the Refs. IMHO, where they went wrong is measuring the severity too harshly. Because the Duck player was cut, they assessed it to be 5 and a game. That was too much IMHO, as it was a simple shoulder to shoulder hit with no intention to injure on McMann's part. The Duck player simply lost his balance on his own.

A 2 minute penalty for boarding was what should have been called. JMHO.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Fun statlines to look at after the game.

Overall, taking into account ALL games played this season by ALL teams, the Leafs offense ranked:

Shot Attempts: Tied for third most in the league for any game played
Shots: Tied for the most in the league for any game played
Scoring chances: Third most in the league for any game played

Reactions: Jojalu

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Only complaint I would have would be that some of the shots were glove high and no screen. Played catch with Dostal, almost looked like a pregame warm-up type shots.

Yes, they needed more movement, more effort for scramble/garbage goals.

Ducks defense played very well, made few mistakes, made it possible for Dostal to see everything.
Leafs defense played well, made few mistakes. The goal against was due to a mistake, physical and mental.

Exhausting game to watch, and it was frustrating for a while and I told my son the Ducks would score first after the Leafs had absolutely gorgeous opportunities and came up short early. I didn't expect it was going to take that long.

There were moments when the Leafs were coasting rather than skating, but perhaps back-to-back effect.

Core came through.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad