Friedman: Leafs will not trade Cowan, Knies, or Minten.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Pretty obvious the reason why Sean Walker is still a Flyer and not in Toronto.

Maple Leafs don't want to part with their high class prospects and their first rounders are also off the table, right?

I respect that but also wonder how they want to upgrade the roster. Interesting 72 hours ahead.
Tre also doesn't want a 5'11 D who will get blown up in game #1 of the playoffs.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah sure Minten isn’t blue chip but just because he isn’t a top tier prospect doesn’t mean the Leafs are going to be willing to trade him. People on here make fun about how empty the cupboards are and then act shocked that they don’t want to trade a young top 9 defensively responsible C (which the Leafs haven’t had in a while.

On his own sure he’s not going to bring much in a trade but his value going forward is providing cheap ELC years to a team that is top heavy on the cap. Very important piece

Reactions: Rob Brown

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Agreed he is the odd one out. As a sens fan I wouldnt consider moving either Tarasenko let alone Chychrun for him as being the center of the package. Much rather get a late first round pick for Tank. No idea why anyone would value him that high. The other two are solid prospects/young players though. Understand why Toronto wouldnt move them.
Or a late 3rd and 4th. :thumbu:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
They can and they will hold on to their only good prospects. Not like it's a bad choice TBH.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Why? Because of Friedman's opinion?

Friedman thinks that the Leafs aer not going to trade him. No word on whether Treliving shares that opinion.
my point is if they keep these guys (not saying they should trade either), they don't have much assets to throw around, with those assets it's only tinkering around the edges, can't address a need properly ...band-aids

Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You should write a book about this. Maybe you could explain how the other Canadian Teams win year after year.

Write an entire chapter on the Vancouver Canucks paltry 54 year drought. Because those 3 years between Toronto winning a cup and Vancouver entering the league makes all the difference in the world

my point is if they keep these guys (not saying they should trade either), they don't have much assets to throw around, with those assets it's only tinkering around the edges, can't address a need properly ...band-aids

This is why the Leafs should stand pat on big rental deals and just not make them.

Fill a small hole or two, sure …. But this team needs to earn reinforcements

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
So many bad takes and while I understand that some people are simply trolling, let's have a real conversation here.

First, some are wondering about the overall strategy at play here. Toronto has roughly 5-6 players that are going to be on ELCs / bridge deals over the coming years, to fill out a forward group that is still top heavy, but talented. Those 4-5 ELCs / bridge players will come from the following group.

Matthew Knies (Forward)
Nick Robertson (Forward)
Eastan Cowan (Forward)
Fraser Minten (Forward
Nikita Grebyonkin (Forward)
Topi Niemela (Defense)
Joseph Woll or Dennis Hildeby (Goalie)
**Prospect** (the guy that emerges from the remainder of the system)

Now, let's talk about the upsides for Knies, Cowan and Minten, the prospects / ELCs that are the topic of this thread.

- Knies probably has a ceiling similar to that of Zack Hyman (but bigger). Toronto would probably be happy if he developed into a rich man's version Zack Hyman that left Toronto, even if that is considerably short of the guy that is going to push for 50 goals this year with the Oilers. Most likely a surefire, future top 6 LW as he matures. Knies' floor is a better (by way of maturation) version of what you see now. A middle 6, 45-55 point player with some size, who can bang a little bit.

- Cowan's ceiling and trajectory make me think of Travis Koenecny. They were drafted 4 picks apart (in different drafts) and have near identical measurables. Similar playstyles as well. His floor is probably a Calle Jarnkrok type, Swiss Army Knife, middle 6 winger who can penalty kill and play up your lineup in stretches.

- Minten is a future bottom 6 player. His ceiling is probably that of a Matt Stajan type 3C, if he improves his skating. His floor is a steady 4C / replacement level player on a good roster. He needs to make some notable improvements over the next 2'ish years to be the type of 3C the Leafs need moving forward.

In terms of trade value, while I don't think Toronto will land a big fish because their prospect pool is relatively shallow, I still think the Leafs have some cost-controlled assets that rebuilding teams will at least think hard about. Namely the following...

1st round pick (2024)
Nick Robertson (RFA)
Timothy Liljegren (RFA)
Nikita Grebyonkin
Topi Niemela

We've seen solid / good players traded for much less than that, so people acting like it's impossible for Toronto to upgrade their lineup simply because they want to protect 3 assets, are either trolling, out to lunch, or just hating for the sake of hating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafs4Life77

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
They don't need to be to be valuable to Toronto. We kind of have lots of top end but need a steady cycle of depth.

You know what the Leafs need? A couple of Rance Mulliniks type dudes.

That would be ideal.

If that first gets traded, well I'm still a fan but won't like it.

Toronto plans to go another 50 years without winning a Stanley Cup.

And yet they planned the parade.

You make no sense.

Yet you are 100% correct, about every Canadian based team.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
So many bad takes and while I understand that some people are simply trolling, let's have a real conversation here.

First, some are wondering about the overall strategy at play here. Toronto has roughly 5-6 players that are going to be on ELCs / bridge deals over the coming years, to fill out a forward group that is still top heavy, but talented. Those 4-5 ELCs / bridge players will come from the following group.

Matthew Knies (Forward)
Nick Robertson (Forward)
Eastan Cowan (Forward)
Fraser Minten (Forward
Nikita Grebyonkin (Forward)
Topi Niemela (Defense)
Joseph Woll or Dennis Hildeby (Goalie)
**Prospect** (the guy that emerges from the remainder of the system)

Now, let's talk about the upsides for Knies, Cowan and Minten, the prospects / ELCs that are the topic of this thread.

- Knies probably has a ceiling similar to that of Zack Hyman (but bigger). Toronto would probably be happy if he developed into a rich man's version Zack Hyman that left Toronto, even if he considerably short the guy that is going to push for 50 this year with the Oilers. Most likely a surefire, future top 6 LW as he matures. Knies' floor is a better (by way of maturation) version of what you see now. A middle 6, 45-55 point player with some size, who can bang a little bit.

- Cowan's ceiling and trajectory make me think of Travis Koenecny. They were drafted 4 picks apart (in different drafts) and have near identical measurables. Similar playstyles as well. His floor is probably a Calle Jarnkrok type, Swiss Army Knife, middle 6 winger who can penalty kill and play up your lineup in stretches.

- Minten is a future bottom 6 player. His ceiling is probably that of a Matt Stajan type 3C, if he improves his skating. His floor is a steady 4C / replacement level player on a good roster. He needs to make some notable improvements over the next 2'ish years to be the type of 3 the Leafs need moving forward.

In terms of trade value, while I don't think Toronto will land a big fish because their prospect pool is relatively shallow, I still think the Leafs have some cost-controlled assets that rebuilding teams will at least think hard about. Namely the following...

1st round pick (2024)
Nick Robertson (RFA)
Timothy Liljegren (RFA)
Nikita Grebyonkin
Topi Niemela

We've seen solid / good players traded for much less than that, so people acting like it's impossible for Toronto to upgrade their lineup simply because they want to protect 3 assets, are either trolling, out to lunch, or just hating for the sake of hating.

There also isn't really a "big fish" out there that makes ideal sense for the Leafs, like "this guy is going to put them over the top".

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
David Savard and 1st round pick should not be in the same sentence. If I’m Treliving and that’s the price just stand pat

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Maybe have the balls for once and actually offer some good assets to get your much needed top 4 defensemen.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad