Friedman: Leafs will not trade Cowan, Knies, or Minten.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

"People have asked about Knies, Cowan and Minten... Toronto has made it very clear that those three players… they are not interested in dealing."

Fair enough but they have to hope that bargin bin pickups are enough then.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This is just Treliving playing hardball forcing other GMs to bend to his will. Its a process.
Have faith Leaf fans. Tre knows what he's doing.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
The question should be, does this current team deserve an upgrade that will cost them one of those players? They've been very good of late but I'm not sure it does, not for a rental anyway. If its someone substantial and they term, i could see it.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
Too many people in here saying Minten is one of our top 3 prospects. I'd take Grebs over Minten any day lol. Also, poor Minten is getting destroyed in here, haha.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
So many bad takes and while I understand that some people are simply trolling, let's have a real conversation here.

First, some are wondering about the overall strategy at play here. Toronto has roughly 5-6 players that are going to be on ELCs / bridge deals over the coming years, to fill out a forward group that is still top heavy, but talented. Those 4-5 ELCs / bridge players will come from the following group.

Matthew Knies (Forward)
Nick Robertson (Forward)
Eastan Cowan (Forward)
Fraser Minten (Forward
Nikita Grebyonkin (Forward)
Topi Niemela (Defense)
Joseph Woll or Dennis Hildeby (Goalie)
**Prospect** (the guy that emerges from the remainder of the system)

Now, let's talk about the upsides for Knies, Cowan and Minten, the prospects / ELCs that are the topic of this thread.

- Knies probably has a ceiling similar to that of Zack Hyman (but bigger). Toronto would probably be happy if he developed into a rich man's version Zack Hyman that left Toronto, even if that is considerably short of the guy that is going to push for 50 goals this year with the Oilers. Most likely a surefire, future top 6 LW as he matures. Knies' floor is a better (by way of maturation) version of what you see now. A middle 6, 45-55 point player with some size, who can bang a little bit.

- Cowan's ceiling and trajectory make me think of Travis Koenecny. They were drafted 4 picks apart (in different drafts) and have near identical measurables. Similar playstyles as well. His floor is probably a Calle Jarnkrok type, Swiss Army Knife, middle 6 winger who can penalty kill and play up your lineup in stretches.

- Minten is a future bottom 6 player. His ceiling is probably that of a Matt Stajan type 3C, if he improves his skating. His floor is a steady 4C / replacement level player on a good roster. He needs to make some notable improvements over the next 2'ish years to be the type of 3C the Leafs need moving forward.

In terms of trade value, while I don't think Toronto will land a big fish because their prospect pool is relatively shallow, I still think the Leafs have some cost-controlled assets that rebuilding teams will at least think hard about. Namely the following...

1st round pick (2024)
Nick Robertson (RFA)
Timothy Liljegren (RFA)
Nikita Grebyonkin
Topi Niemela

We've seen solid / good players traded for much less than that, so people acting like it's impossible for Toronto to upgrade their lineup simply because they want to protect 3 assets, are either trolling, out to lunch, or just hating for the sake of hating.
200w (14).gif

• Haha
Reactions: Daz28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad