Friedman: Leafs will not trade Cowan, Knies, or Minten.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Are you telling me Nick Robertson is in play?
He probably is. I mean other than a bottom 6 role right now he’s not much of anything for the big club. Apparently he hasn’t been happy all year with his situation. I think if the right player was available Treliving would add him along with the first round pick

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
It's funny that people keep saying Minten sucks as a prospect yet he also needs to be in the deal to get something good.

He probably is. I mean other than a bottom 6 role right now he’s not much of anything for the big club. Apparently he hasn’t been happy all year with his situation. I think if the right player was available Treliving would add him along with the first round pick
Kinda sucks that he finally gets to play with JT for a game or two and then all our forwards come off the IR and push him back down.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

"People have asked about Knies, Cowan and Minten... Toronto has made it very clear that those three players… they are not interested in dealing."

I understand the other two but I can’t see why the hell a guy like Minten would be blocked from being traded.
Just because you got a couple games on a team with little depth at 19 doesn’t make you a blue chip prospect.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I understand the other two but I can’t see why the hell a guy like Minten would be blocked from being traded.
Just because you got a couple games on a team with little depth at 19 doesn’t make you a blue chip prospect.
I would assume with so few picks coming up they see the need to have something in the pipeline. They may also recognize the shortage of defensively geared forwards at all levels of the organization. It’s not like they’re a single available player away from putting them over the top anyway.
I think it’s the right play.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

It's because of how he fits within the organization.

The Leafs are going to be desparate for cheap players next year, and are probably not going to be cup contenders.

Fast forward to 2025-26; take a centre depth of Auston Matthews, Fraser Minten on year 2 of his ELC, and John Tavares at a massively reduced salary, and that's certainly something that the team can build off of; especially when you factor in Marner, Nylander, Cowan & Knies and 2 years of cap increases.

Reactions: conFABulator

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Cowan would be the a top 3 prospect on the flames. He is having a better year than Honzek who the flames took 16th. Honzek of course is bigger and projects to develop into a different styled player but Cowan is similar tier prospect after this year.

He is a A- prospect. Tearing up the OHL

Knies is a 40-60 pt ceiling guy who has size and some speed and hits. Valuable plauer to have and keep when cheap

Minten has 3C ceiling and likely is a 4th line David Kampf type player. Not the most sexy asset
Of note: Skinner's list has Cowan at #41, a few spots above Zary at #44 and a few spots more behind Coronato at #33.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed he is the odd one out. As a sens fan I wouldnt consider moving either Tarasenko let alone Chychrun for him as being the center of the package. Much rather get a late first round pick for Tank. No idea why anyone would value him that high. The other two are solid prospects/young players though. Understand why Toronto wouldnt move them.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Friedman thinks he is.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Pretty obvious the reason why Sean Walker is still a Flyer and not in Toronto.

Maple Leafs don't want to part with their high class prospects and their first rounders are also off the table, right?

I respect that but also wonder how they want to upgrade the roster. Interesting 72 hours ahead.

Reactions: egelband and ashs

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Well if Friedman thinks so it must be true
I disagree though I do admit that it might be true.

Maple Leafs don't want to part with their high class prospects and their first rounders are also off the table, right?

I respect that but also wonder how they want to upgrade the roster. Interesting 72 hours ahead.
Friedman thinks they are off the table. I is unknown if Treliving has the same opinion.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
They didn't win with O'Reilly last year. I don't consider Jenner much of an upgrade over O'Reilly at all. I don't think the Leafs have a real shot until 2026 with the Tavares cap off the roster. Need defenders.
Johnny is a good player but not worth the cap hit. Toronto doesn't really need him anymore with marner, Nylander, and Matthews.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Well I can't say I blame the Leafs. They need to hold as many ELC's as possible. Those cupboards are bare.

If they want to make a trade, they should consider parting with the 1st, however they should probably hold that as well.

I guess they hold firm and roll into the playoffs with what they have......a decent forward corp. A nothing defence....and this guy.....

View attachment 829811
I can absolutely agree with most of this. Though, with respect to goaltending, Woll has been a pleasant surprise and seems capable (but injuries are a concern) and samsonov finally seems to have found some semblance of good play recently. Not world beating, but neither were guys like hill or- for a playback button- Osgood. Credit due to those teams defences though. They were ungodly good. The leafs need 2 legit top 4 guys and... they aren't out there.

Reactions: waitin425

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I think that has a lot more to do with Sean Walker, and his lack of filling the Leafs needs, than it does the Leafs willingness to part with premium assets.

You look at what Chris Tanev got -- basically 2 2nds, and how he would have been substantially more desirable than Walker, to figure out that even if the Leafs were willign to part with one of those 3, it wouldn't be to Philadelphia for Sean Walker.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It makes sense they wouldn't want to trade these 3. They look like NHLers and they will need youth injections to keep competing.

However, it was stated before they don't want to deal their 1st. They don't want to deal these guys. Do they have any other asset of value to trade? It might mean their won't be much happening at the deadline for them... Or they will end up trading that 1st.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's because of how he fits within the organization.

The Leafs are going to be desparate for cheap players next year, and are probably not going to be cup contenders.

Fast forward to 2025-26; take a centre depth of Auston Matthews, Fraser Minten on year 2 of his ELC, and John Tavares at a massively reduced salary, and that's certainly something that the team can build off of; especially when you factor in Marner, Nylander, Cowan & Knies and 2 years of cap increases.
This exactly.

The Leafs COULD be in a position where they don't need to add expensive free agents to fill spots up front. Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares (reduced salary) being supported by Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, Cowan, and Minten (plus others) is a strong collection of forwards.

They have the same opportunity at goalie with Woll and then a couple of prospects on the Marlies and in Russia.

This is how they build a great D corps. They can sign free agents to go with Rielly, Liljegren, Benoit, Niemela, possible McCabe. They will easily have room for two top 4 dmen in free agency.

Reactions: Chindis and ashs

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I think the 1st is very likely in play. Not sure Walker is their guy tho, Treliving loves size and there's been more smoke around Savard.

I'd prefer Walker as I think he's the better player.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I guess it makes sense for Toronto to be patient and not give up extra assets that will force them to keep trying to plug holes. If Niemela and the 3 forwards reach expectations, it will help turn their fortunes around.
Young defensemen tend to take a while though. Sanding didn't end up working out. We will see with Niemela.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I mean they 100% would trade any of these guys in the right deal for a player with term

I don’t think you have to come out and say you’re not trading your top prospects for an expiring 40 year old UFA. Everyone already knows that. This is a nothing burger from Elliot to get those Leafs clicks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad