Friedman: Leafs will go hard after Chris Tanev.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Good question. I wish I had a good answer, but I don't. Unless the Leafs can agree to an extension for Tanev, then maybe a 1st is reasonable.
Conditional first based on Toronto making the 3rd round? Than the first is one of the last four picks in the first round. just a thought, not a fan of either team, so do not have skin in the game.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to lead the league in defensemen trade rumors, as it is quite clear that GM Brad Treliving won't rest until he improves the team's blueline.

But according to a report by The Fourth Period's Anthony Di Marco, two young players are off limits in any trade discussions.
Again, I'd have no interest in Minten. I don't make decisions either, but he's Ben Jones.

Oh sorry, I meant hard pass on your opinion of leafs prospects. You very clearly know nothing about them and are way to emotional about your players to even be reasonable in a discussion.

Edit:
Also stated by who? Who stated that Tanev "will go for a high 2nd/low 1st type value"?

Would love to see your source.
Seravalli said he was going to bring in a 1st on Barnburner, but I don't like to deal in hard values. Friedman also said the asking price was a 1st to get it done early in 32 thoughts. Any other questions? I hold WHL season tickets. I've seen Minten more than anyone in Leafs management. He does a lot of things, but nothing at an elite level. He's not the player you think he is. He's Ben Jones. Hard pass.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t expect Cowan. If the leafs go after Hanifin then it’s first + Cowan +.

Tanev is likely a late first, or a good prospect like Minten. If you think that he doesn’t return that you don’t know the player and how valuable he is in the playoffs.

He blocked 10 shots last night after returning from an injury… no one has blocked ten shots all season long.

Odds are you get nothing for Tanev because he’s on LTIR by March. Nobody is paying 1st+ for a beat up rental whos main value is eating pucks to the face.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Again, I'd have no interest in Minten. I don't make decisions either, but he's Ben Jones.

Seravalli said he was going to bring in a 1st on Barnburner, but I don't like to deal in hard values. Friedman also said the asking price was a 1st to get it done early in 32 thoughts. Any other questions? I hold WHL season tickets. I've seen Minten more than anyone in Leafs management. He does a lot of things, but nothing at an elite level. He's not the player you think he is. He's Ben Jones. Hard pass.
I live less than an hour from kamloops, I take your opinion even less seriously now.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

Oh well if you don’t… lol

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Odds are you get nothing for Tanev because he’s on LTIR by March. Nobody is paying 1st+ for a beat up rental whos main value is eating pucks to the face.
Such a trade would be heavily conditioned. Playing more than 1 nhl game gets a 5 th. A playoff game is a 4th. 50%+ p playoffs is a 2nd. A 3rd for something betweem

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
You don't see the difference in Tanev vs Zadorov?
Look, I said if Zadorov got a 3rd, Tanev probably gets a 2nd.

Before Zadorov was traded - I saw much of the same thing happening with posters claiming he will pull a 1st. He got a 3rd...

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Such a trade would be heavily conditioned. Playing more than 1 nhl game gets a 5 th. A playoff game is a 4th. 50%+ p playoffs is a 2nd. A 3rd for something betweem
Back when Canucks fans used to demand Marner or Nylander + for Tanev my standard counter offer was a 1st round pick that dropped a round every 10 games he missed plus a 3rd round pick that went up a round every 10 playoff games he played.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Watch the Canucks beat the Leafs again and get Tanev for a 3rd round pick 🤣

At first leafs wanted both tanev and zadorov then Alvin commited highway robbery

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Watch the Canucks beat the Leafs again and get Tanev for a 3rd round pick 🤣

At first leafs wanted both tanev and zadorov then Alvin commited highway robbery
I would love that, he would be a welcome addition to the Canucks group that they are very familiar with and the leafs can go in a different direction. Win Win.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Flames wont get a 1st for Tanev though. I will be shocked if they did. If any team offered a 1st he would be traded already. His age at 34, his FA status and his long term projection all play against his value not to mention his injury history. Canucks got a young and more superior D in hronek with term and good cap hit for a 1st and a 2nd. So i dont see Tanevs worth being a 1st. 2nd round pick is probably the max.

I would love that, he would be a welcome addition to the Canucks group that they are very familiar with and the leafs can go in a different direction. Win Win.
He would definitely help canucks out big time. He would be their best PKer and best shot blocker. He would also have chemistry with Hughes. I know Hughes personally asked management to trade for him.

Hughes-Tanev
Cole-Hronek
Soucy-Zadorov

That is definitely a nicely balanced D. Got size, skills, shut down ability

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
1st for Tanev would be stupid, guy won't even be skating by the trade deadline in the first place

where is this narrative that Tanev is always injured coming from? his Vancouver days? In Calgary, here are how many games he has missed. Does this look like an injury-prone player to you?

20/21 - 56 games (full season that year)
21/22 - 82 games (another full season_
22/23 - 65 games (shoulder injury)
23/24 - 29 of 32 played so far.

I've seen far too many people (mostly leafs fans) joke that Tanev wont even make it to the trade deadline. Is this just something that gets said once and then everyone assumes its true and doesnt fact check?

Reactions: Jojalu

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames wont get a 1st for Tanev though. I will be shocked if they did. If any team offered a 1st he would be traded already. His age at 34, his FA status and his long term projection all play against his value not to mention his injury history. Canucks got a young and more superior D in hronek with term and good cap hit for a 1st and a 2nd. So i dont see Tanevs worth being a 1st. 2nd round pick is probably the max.
Zadorov returned just under a 2nd in value and Tanev is better. Tanev is the kind of guy GMs overpay for. I’m not expecting a 1st but it wouldn’t shock me. 2nd + b prospect or 2nd + 3rd is reasonable imo.

As for the Hronek trade. The pick was also in a strong draft and middle of the pack. This will be a late 1st in a weaker draft if it happens.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Zadorov returned just under a 2nd in value and Tanev is better. Tanev is the kind of guy GMs overpay for. I’m not expecting a 1st but it wouldn’t shock me. 2nd + b prospect or 2nd + 3rd is reasonable imo.

As for the Hronek trade. The pick was also in a strong draft and middle of the pack. This will be a late 1st in a weaker draft if it happens.
Zadorov returned a late 3rd 3 years from now and a 5th. Thats not even a 3rd from this year so saying under a 2nd doesnt mean much since his value was under a 3rd this year if a 2024 3rd is worth more to a team than a 2026 3rd.

Reactions: Kurtz

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
where is this narrative that Tanev is always injured coming from? his Vancouver days? In Calgary, here are how many games he has missed. Does this look like an injury-prone player to you?

I've seen far too many people (mostly leafs fans) joke that Tanev wont even make it to the trade deadline. Is this just something that gets said once and then everyone assumes its true and doesnt fact check?
Yeah is he playing through injury or something? I'm a Devils fan and Tanev is my #1 target right now so just want to know if there are any nagging injuries to consider there. Devils have the cap space to pull the trigger tomorrow if need be but I would guess Calgary wants to wait til deadline to maximize the number of suitors.

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
Yeah is he playing through injury or something? I'm a Devils fan and Tanev is my #1 target right now so just want to know if there are any nagging injuries to consider there. Devils have the cap space to pull the trigger tomorrow if need be but I would guess Calgary wants to wait til deadline to maximize the number of suitors.
Lets put it this way. Is Tanev playing through bumps and bruises? yes always, the guy recently missed a bit of time due to blocking a shot with his face...lol

Is Tanev playing injured? no I don't believe so.

Generally, his time in Calgary has been injury-free, but he's often a bit banged up due to how hard he plays on the defensive side. Personally, i wouldn't hesitate to trade for him and he would be a warrior for whoever does so. In a perfect world for this Flames fan, the Flames would trade him and then re-sign him in the offseason

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Look, I said if Zadorov got a 3rd, Tanev probably gets a 2nd.

Before Zadorov was traded - I saw much of the same thing happening with posters claiming he will pull a 1st. He got a 3rd...
Fair.
Would have had to been a huge bidding war and Calgary would of had to retain to be able to squint at that.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Lets put it this way. Is Tanev playing through bumps and bruises? yes always, the guy recently missed a bit of time due to blocking a shot with his face...lol

Is Tanev playing injured? no I don't believe so.

Generally, his time in Calgary has been injury-free, but he's often a bit banged up due to how hard he plays on the defensive side. Personally, i wouldn't hesitate to trade for him and he would be a warrior for whoever does so. In a perfect world for this Flames fan, the Flames would trade him and then re-sign him in the offseason

As cool as blocking 10 shots in December after coming back from a shot blocking injury is, the fact that you guys are riding him like you rented him from someone you hate and someone else is paying the security deposit is going to drive the price down like it or not.

Reactions: Kurtz

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

He has been pretty healthy after signing with the Flames.

Not sure why some are only remembering his Canuck days

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Conditional first based on Toronto making the 3rd round? Than the first is one of the last four picks in the first round. just a thought, not a fan of either team, so do not have skin in the game.
Interesting idea. I have no idea what's fair TBH, I am hoping that we get someone who's not a pure rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad