Friedman: Leafs will go hard after Chris Tanev.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
When's the last time a U23 prospect picked outside the top-10 has had a major impact on their team winning a stanley cup while on their ELC?

I seriously can't think of a single guy.

Guys like Cowan (age 18 - picked 28th) or Minten (age 19 - picked 38th) are not going to be reasons the Leafs win a cup any time soon unless they are traded. That's not to say they shouldn't value them - but they absolutely should be considered in a move if it increases the likelihood of winning a cup in any meaningful way. It worked for Tampa and Vegas, but the opposite hasn't seemed to really do it for anyone honestly.
As long as Matthews is on the team, the Leafs will be in contending mode. So for the next 5 seasons in this case. A lot can happen within those 5 years and having Cowan and Minten contribute as could be happen and be an important key. So there shouldn't be a need to go all in on rentals.

Also when looking at Tampa as an example, yes they did what you mentioned above. But also in 2015 when they lost in the final, little did we all know that in 5 years names like Brayden Point, Anthony Cirelli and Mikhail Sergachev would be important keys to back to back Stanley Cups.

Creating a main core and consistently adding support or even newer core impact players is key for any team. Phase/window 1 did not work for the Leafs but phase/window 2 could be a possibility based on adding players like Woll/Knies/Cowan/Minten.

I just think when it comes to rentals, you need to be precise in how you pick and choose to deal what assets. Leafs have dealt a lot for rentals of late (Foligno/O'Reilly) while also guys with term (Muzzin/McCabe). I think right now is not the time to go big on rentals. Maybe for sure again down the road, but not this year.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I never claimed Cowan was an elite prospect, but that doesn't mean he's going for a rental.

If Cowan goes he's going for somebody with term, or at least somebody that has an extension ready to be signed upon a trade being completed.

When was the last time you saw a rental get a teams top prospect?

Even a guy like ROR didn't land Matthew Knies, the one trade Matthew Knies was in would have included Brandon Hagel AND MAF.

If teams are putting in the#1 prospect It's for blockbuster trades.

Tanev is a very good D man, and would be a significant upgrade but he's not getting Cowan.

If you said something like Niemela, I could see him being available and he's our top D prospect but Cowan won't be traded for a rental.
Niemela isn't a good prospect though. I mean you're talking picks or Cowan for me if you're talking a guy going for a high 2nd or low 1st type return. The Leafs are in a contention window. Also ROR isn't necessarily more valuable than Tanev. Tanev will instantly be your 2nd best defenseman and your best pure defender. ROR was your 6th best forward.

• Haha
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Niemela isn't a good prospect though. I mean you're talking picks or Cowan for me if you're talking a guy going for a high 2nd or low 1st type return. The Leafs are in a contention window. Also ROR isn't necessarily more valuable than Tanev. Tanev will instantly be your 2nd best defenseman and your best pure defender. ROR was your 6th best forward.
Hard pass.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Sorry pal, Cowan isn’t happening. You’re going to need to let it go.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The Leafs aren't including the best prospect in all of hockey, Cowan lmao

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
1st or nothing. We can retain, but Tanev is exactly what you need… along with other teams who want him.

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
If the Flames can re-sign Tanev he would be perfect to help bring along the young D replacement after Hanifin is traded for the haul I'm expecting .... unless a team like Toronto is going to over pay of course .

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t expect Cowan. If the leafs go after Hanifin then it’s first + Cowan +.

Tanev is likely a late first, or a good prospect like Minten. If you think that he doesn’t return that you don’t know the player and how valuable he is in the playoffs.

He blocked 10 shots last night after returning from an injury… no one has blocked ten shots all season long.

Reactions: YP44 and banks

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hard pass.
Again, not your decision. As stated, Tanev will go for a high 2nd/low1st type of value. The only prospect in your system that fits that value is Cowan. Picks are fine too. I do think Treliving will try to get him and I think you're right he will not trade Cowan. I think your 1st in 2024 would be on the table for him though.

I don’t expect Cowan. If the leafs go after Hanifin then it’s first + Cowan +.

Tanev is likely a late first, or a good prospect like Minten. If you think that he doesn’t return that you don’t know the player and how valuable he is in the playoffs.

He blocked 10 shots last night after returning from an injury… no one has blocked ten shots all season long.
Have you watched Minten? He's Ben Jones. We don't want Minten, we want the 1st.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
You don't decide. Treliving does. Picks are fine too. Just don't throw out NHL/AHL tweener prospects and expect to get what would be your 2nd best defenseman.

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to lead the league in defensemen trade rumors, as it is quite clear that GM Brad Treliving won't rest until he improves the team's blueline.

But according to a report by The Fourth Period's Anthony Di Marco, two young players are off limits in any trade discussions.

Prospect forwards Easton Cowan and Fraser Minten were described to me as 'non-starters' for the Leafs.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Again, not your decision. As stated, Tanev will go for a high 2nd/low1st type of value. The only prospect in your system that fits that value is Cowan. Picks are fine too. I do think Treliving will try to get him and I think you're right he will not trade Cowan. I think your 1st in 2024 would be on the table for him though.
Oh sorry, I meant hard pass on your opinion of leafs prospects. You very clearly know nothing about them and are way to emotional about your players to even be reasonable in a discussion.

Edit:
Also stated by who? Who stated that Tanev "will go for a high 2nd/low 1st type value"?

Would love to see your source.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to lead the league in defensemen trade rumors, as it is quite clear that GM Brad Treliving won't rest until he improves the team's blueline.

But according to a report by The Fourth Period's Anthony Di Marco, two young players are off limits in any trade discussions.
They should be non starters. Both would immediately be in the top 3 prospects in calgarys system.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
I wouldn't mind Tanev at all, especially if we could re-sign him for a few years at a reasonable number.
The problem here is the price, I'm not prepared to pay a first for a 34 years old defenceman.

If we were talking about Hanifin, then I would absolutely be willing to part with the first and a good prospect, say someone like Niemelä, provided an extension would be in the cards.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I don't get the ask, Zadorov got a 3rd - why is Tanev much better. He shouldn't be more than a 2nd
Tanev is a much better defensemen even considering his age. A 2nd is probably about the floor of his value and more if the Flames retain or need to eat a bad contract.
The Leafs probably only get him if the market is strong and it takes a 1st because they don’t have any seconds for 3 years or something.

Reactions: YP44

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I don't believe the Leafs don't need Calgary to retain salary. I also don't think they're willing to part with a 1st, at least I hope not.
if no retention then I agree, but having a lil space at the deadline would be a big plus.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
if no retention then I agree, but having a lil space at the deadline would be a big plus.
Maybe it's just me but I'm not a big fan of rentals and I'd almost never spend a 1st, or a top prospect on a rental. We have cap space because of Klinberg, use that on Tanev and call it a day IMO.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I don't believe the Leafs don't need Calgary to retain salary. I also don't think they're willing to part with a 1st, at least I hope not.
What are they going to trade for him if isn’t their 1st? I think Tanev ends up on another team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What are they going to trade for him if isn’t their 1st? I think Tanev ends up on another team.
Good question. I wish I had a good answer, but I don't. Unless the Leafs can agree to an extension for Tanev, then maybe a 1st is reasonable.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Oh sorry, I meant hard pass on your opinion of leafs prospects. You very clearly know nothing about them and are way to emotional about your players to even be reasonable in a discussion.

Edit:
Also stated by who? Who stated that Tanev "will go for a high 2nd/low 1st type value"?

Would love to see your source.
Frank Seriveli (or however you spell it) said this much on fan 960. He also claimed last week that the Sens head coach was safe.

Would not shock me if the flames got a late first for tanev, would not be the expectation though IMO

I don't get the ask, Zadorov got a 3rd - why is Tanev much better. He shouldn't be more than a 2nd
You don't see the difference in Tanev vs Zadorov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad