Friedman: Leafs will go hard after Chris Tanev.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
On the 32 thoughts podcast today it was said that one D man the Leafs will go hard after is Chris Tanev and they believe they will be able to extend him.

Chris Tanev would be the ideal addition He's exactly what they need a strong defense first top 4 D.

That said I'd be real careful with an extension because he's getting older and he plays an extremely tough style.

The fact that the Leafs are going hard after Tanev tells me they think Klingberg is done.

Reactions: AvroArrow
Mar 12, 2009
Haven't followed him much but recall him having injurie problems, which worries me because injure D is a problem the Leafs are having and have had for a while.

Reactions: hullsy47

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'd hope for a little more than Zadorov's return. 2nd and a small plus perhaps, but again he's 34 and nearing the end of his career. If the bar is a 1st++, then it ain't happening.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Klingberg is out for the season, it should make bringing Tanev on pretty easy. I imagine they could be looking at a 2nd or 3rd and a later round like Zadorov.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Typical leafs - identify a player that would have been useful to them 5 years ago and then overpay to bring them in when they’re over the hill.

If he was cheap, sure but resigning a 34 year old who’s past his prime and has injury trouble is a mistake.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Tanev's price will be significantly higher than Zadorov's, and they'll probably retain 50%.

Wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver is still interested in him and I think the Stars will probably make a big push

Reactions: Szechwan

Bond

May 10, 2012
I'd hope for a little more than Zadorov's return. 2nd and a small plus perhaps, but again he's 34 and nearing the end of his career. If the bar is a 1st++, then it ain't happening.
I think his baseline is a 2nd + b prospect. Anything above and I’ll be happy

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Let all these Leaf fans whining about his age stick with Giordano playing top 4 minutes. Excellent example of Eastern fans not staying up to actually watch the games.

We'll take him in Van, easily would pay a 2nd because I'm sure he'd re-sign. Love Tanev, he never should have been allowed to walk by Benning.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Gotta get their replacement for Gio apparently.

Love tanev but never wanted Calgary to extend him. I'm surprised he hasn't already fallen off

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
On the 32 thoughts podcast today it was said that one D man the Leafs will go hard after is Chris Tanev and they believe they will be able to extend him.

Chris Tanev would be the ideal addition He's exactly what they need a strong defense first top 4 D.

That said I'd be real careful with an extension because he's getting older and he plays an extremely tough style.

The fact that the Leafs are going hard after Tanev tells me they think Klingberg is done.
I doubt Tanev signs in Toronto. Have a gut feeling he will choose Vancouver due to him being there for most of his career and Benning being dumb and not signing him was the reason he signed in Calgary. Hughes has asked Canucks management to bring in Tanev and I think Tanev is more likely to sign in Vancouver in the summer even if he gets traded to TO. He seems to be a guy that wants to stay in the West.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If I was Calgary i would trade him ASAP before he gets injured and loses value.

I was happy when the Canucks let him walk in Free Agency back then because his body was just constantly broken, I was wrong though and he has managed to play lots of games for CGY , However I would be extremely reluctant to pay him long term now.

He has alot of injuries and alot of miles on that body.

Reactions: Ciao

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
No way a team is stupid enough to trade 1st ++ for him. As you said he is 34 years old and maybe got a couple of years of playing time and he is injury prone. Plus he doesn't exactly put points up to command that type of value. He will be a 2nd round pick at best imo. I think Calgary could have got more for Zadorov than what Tanev would be worth. I valued Zadorov as a 2nd and 3rd while Tanev as a 2nd round pick. To get Zadorov for a 3rd in 2030 and a 5th this year is nuts lol

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

People have been saying this since before he left the Canucks in 2020. Tanev is solid and will continue to be solid for another 2 or 3 years imo.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Jojalu

Bond

May 10, 2012
No way a team is stupid enough to trade 1st ++ for him. As you said he is 34 years old and maybe got a couple of years of playing time and he is injury prone. Plus he doesn't exactly put points up to command that type of value. He will be a 2nd round pick at best imo. I think Calgary could have got more for Zadorov than what Tanev would be worth. I valued Zadorov as a 2nd and 3rd while Tanev as a 2nd round pick. To get Zadorov for a 3rd in 2030 and a 5th this year is nuts lol
Nah, Zadarov is #5 D. Tanev is is a legit top 4 guy even with the age factor added in.

Reactions: Jojalu

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I think Tanev's price will be significantly higher than Zadorov's, and they'll probably retain 50%.

Wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver is still interested in him and I think the Stars will probably make a big push
Won't be that high. 2nd pick at most. 50 % retention is just doing business as usual since no team has cap so Calgary needs to retain to trade him anyways. Maybe Canucks will trade you Myers plus 2nd for Tanev. You get Myers expiring contract which is worth 1 mil, Calgary management saves in that regard while Vancouver gets cap space to get Tanev. Tanev will probably sign a cheap 1 or 2 year deal with Canucks in the offseason and join his buddy Quinn Hughes

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

If there's retention the price will be higher. Tanev is a better pure defender, but doesn't bring some of the other things Zadorov brings. Apparently there were better offers for Zadorov but they involved retaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad