TSN: Leafs will be at the forefront of potential Patrick Kane suitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Really don't see a fit with us, our offense is stacked but our D is weaker than last year. All remaining funds and assets should be going to our blueline at the TDL.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Define money. Barely above league minimum is ridiculous.

Hes made a crap ton of coin in his career so if he plays for less than say $2 million for 1 year, I dont think hes going to end up insolvent.

As of now the only playoff contenders with more than $1.5 million in cap space are the Devils and Blue Jackets (possibly Winnipeg and Buffalo as well).

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Hes made a crap ton of coin in his career so if he plays for less than say $2 million for 1 year, I dont think hes going to end up insolvent.

As of now the only playoff contenders with more than $1.5 million in cap space are the Devils and Blue Jackets (possibly Winnipeg and Buffalo as well).

Like that's what it's about for these athletes. The agents and the system push for $$$$

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I remember when Leaf’s media lied last year about Kane wanting to go there. I won’t be a victim of the boy who cried wolf. Not again, shitty Canadian sports media.
The Sportnet era has really seen Canadian hockey coverage take a complete nose dive in every sense

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Thats 100% true, but players are the ones agreeing to contracts so Kane can easily say he doesn't care to cash in, he wants to play for the cup.

Can and will are different beasts. The discount at $1.5 M is ridiculously steep. They need to get to $2.5 M to $3 M -- and that's prorated. At $750 K in Toronto, you are talking about Kane basically playing for free (in NHL terms) at $375 K after tax. Train. Get the surgery. Go through everything for a maybe shot at a cup with a good team but one that struggles in playoffs. It would be for the love of hockey and location and almost nothing else at that point.

I don’t want em to. But he should go to Buffalo on the cheap, rip it up and try to get a retirement deal wherever he likes. (Maybe even Buffalo)

Pegula should just give him $4 M ($2 M pro-rated). He will make that back in ticket sales and concessions (he must get some % deal on the concessions contract.)

Mar 31, 2022
Kane is close to being done. I was totally on the Kane bandwagon, over ROR, last season, but Kane looked awful in New York. I wouldn't pay him much at this point.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Can and will are different beasts. The discount at $1.5 M is ridiculously steep. They need to get to $2.5 M to $3 M -- and that's prorated. At $750 K in Toronto, you are talking about Kane basically playing for free (in NHL terms) at $375 K after tax. Train. Get the surgery. Go through everything for a maybe shot at a cup with a good team but one that struggles in playoffs. It would be for the love of hockey and location and almost nothing else at that point.

Pegula should just give him $4 M ($2 M pro-rated). He will make that back in ticket sales and concessions (he must get some % deal on the concessions contract.)

Sure its steep but hes made tens of millions in his career. He can certainly afford to not make multi millions for once.

Joining Toronto or any other contender gives him an option to rest more. He won't be rushed back, can take nights off if that helps all while having a chance to play meaningful playoff games for the first time in years. Toronto is the closest playoff team by far for his dad to travel to games.

Also, hes already had the surgery. Now its more about getting into game shape.

(I personally think he'd look great in Dallas or Carolina FWIW)

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I’d be interested to see how the team clears cap to sign him.
That is if they are going to sign him. They maybe at the forefront, but there are a few others there too: Detroit, Buffalo, Carolina, Colorado. Dave Poulin, the founder of the thread, said during Saturdays "the quiz", that he thinks Colorado will sign him and that was the consensus among the panel. But long story short- it is up to Kane to sign where he wants regardless of who is at the forefront.

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
By hover craft? Red barchetta?

its 99 driving miles between the arenas + border crossing + traffic
I think he meant 1 hour and 15 minutes from Toronto to St.Catherines. Lol, I don’t know anyone who has driven from downtown Toronto to downtown Buffalo in just over an hour.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sure its steep but hes made tens of millions in his career. He can certainly afford to not make multi millions for once.

Joining Toronto or any other contender gives him an option to rest more. He won't be rushed back, can take nights off if that helps all while having a chance to play meaningful playoff games for the first time in years. Toronto is the closest playoff team by far for his dad to travel to games.

Also, hes already had the surgery. Now its more about getting into game shape.

(I personally think he'd look great in Dallas or Carolina FWIW)

I always hear BUT he has made millions and about 90% of the time or more these guys don't take discounts and $1.5 M isn't a discount, pro-rated and after taxes he's pretty much playing for free. Leafs will need to clear real cap, if they want him. They need D more anyway. Buffalo needs D more too but needs to sell tickets even more

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
It'll be very interesting to see if he can come back from the hip resurfacing surgery and be able to skate like he used to because he looked seriously hobbled as a Ranger.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Has it been mentioned how he turns 35 on November 19th?

I highly doubt he signs anywhere before that date, even if he is healthy. He can sign for a low base salary with performance bonuses that are easy to hit (10 games played, etc). That way, teams against the cap won't have to fit in his entire cap hit this season since the bonuses can roll over to next year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Has it been mentioned how he turns 35 on November 19th?

I highly doubt he signs anywhere before that date, even if he is healthy. He can sign for a low base salary with performance bonuses that are easy to hit (10 games played, etc). That way, teams against the cap won't have to fit in his entire cap hit this season since the bonuses can roll over to next year.

Reply to a similar post in this thread:

Has to be age 35 by June 30th—the day before the new season starts.

Kane is not eligible for a 35+ contract until 2024-25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad