TSN: Leafs will be at the forefront of potential Patrick Kane suitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I get why we are rivals to them, we invade their arena often, and are the closest team by proximity. But, like every team/fanbase generally dislikes us. I mostly view them as MTL being our big ones, Ottawa newer big ones, we have O6 ones with like you and the Blackhawks, that have been dead since we moved to the East. Boston has been a recent one despite owning us. And, pretty much every Western Canada fanbase hates us but I don't view them as rivals. Habs in my eyes are the biggest, just due to us being the only two O6 Canadian teams, and prior to expansion we were the team of English Canada, and they were the team of French Canadians. Ottawa we had a lot more battles with during my lifetime.

As for Kane. I'm sure he's interested in Toronto. We were one of two teams he was willing to go to last year. It seems he has a preference for big cities that were O6 that have competitive teams. We are far from a lock, and I'm sure he'll explore his options.
Wrong! It was NYR or not at all. Kane himself laughed at the rumor.
The inside of this, if you’re interested, Kane didn’t want a trade at all. Agreed (finally) to accept NYR as a spot essentially doing the Hawks a favor while also getting a playoff shot and a chance to play with his friend. Roughly 2 days later Tarasenko’s trade happened but he wasn’t budging. It was NYR or finish the year in Chicago.
Chicago management was also quiet on a possible return to the Hawks. The thought is Kane thought chances of returning were good. He’s building millionaires estate in the far north burbs and intends to live there when retiring.
It wasn’t until seasons end that Kyle from Chicago told the public that Kane (and Toews) wouldn’t be offered new deals at any amount.
There are no established contenders closer drive to/from Buffalo than the Leafs and I believe the whole point was that his Dad can’t/won’t fly, so that’s why the 2.5 hour commute is preferable to flights with other contenders.
One of the Leaf fans said Kane chose NYR or Toronto. That statement was either false (or a blatant lie). Kane, who didn’t want to go at all eventually agreed to a trade but only agreed to go to the Rangers.

Toronto has made the 2nd rd last year. So a total of how many times in how many years?

Not really high up the established contender ladder.

Reactions: dukeofjive

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If he waits until his birthday, November 19th, he can qualify for 35+ contract and have performance bonuses.

Or is there a cut-off date for signing a 35+ contract, like September 15th or some date, for the bonuses for current year, Possibly @mouser might know?

Has to be age 35 by June 30th—the day before the new season starts.

Kane is not eligible for a 35+ contract until 2024-25.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
No not the same way Stammer did but maybe the same way Tavares did?
Not true, Kane accepted a TDL trade in his final year with his long time team.
Tavares lied to isles Mgmt, claiming he was staying to avoid being traded, then leaving.
Screwing over the team and the fans who would have liked to get something for him on his way out.

Refusing a TDL moved to a contender and then signing with Toronto tells me his comfort is more important to him than getting his name on the cup.

• Haha
Reactions: PROUD PAPA

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
You don't think a pro-rated $1.5 M (maybe $750,000) is well below the market for even a semi healthy Kane?

But Kyle Okposo, who has had maybe one good year in the last 7 seasons in Buffalo and is one head injury away from being done, is worth $2.5 M. Tyson Jost is worth $2 M. Zemgus Girgensons is worth $2.5 million.

Patrick Kane at 75% is worth double any of those guys. Even playing badly injured, he piled up points. He is one year removed from a 92-point season.

The only explanation for not giving him a better deal would be you believe he is physically done and won't actually play.

The only reason Kane might take such a steep discount would be a dream of playing on a cup winner again. I'm not sure how Toronto is his best bet unless Buffalo is the main competition. Given the ability to fly anywhere on the northeast versus the 2.5-hour commute to Toronto from Buffalo, there are a ton of teams that open up if you take that little of a cap hit.
Buffalo is 1 hour 15 minutes from downtown Toronto

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You don't think a pro-rated $1.5 M (maybe $750,000) is well below the market for even a semi healthy Kane?

But Kyle Okposo, who has had maybe one good year in the last 7 seasons in Buffalo and is one head injury away from being done, is worth $2.5 M. Tyson Jost is worth $2 M. Zemgus Girgensons is worth $2.5 million.

Patrick Kane at 75% is worth double any of those guys. Even playing badly injured, he piled up points. He is one year removed from a 92-point season.

The only explanation for not giving him a better deal would be you believe he is physically done and won't actually play.

The only reason Kane might take such a steep discount would be a dream of playing on a cup winner again. I'm not sure how Toronto is his best bet unless Buffalo is the main competition. Given the ability to fly anywhere on the northeast versus the 2.5-hour commute to Toronto from Buffalo, there are a ton of teams that open up if you take that little of a cap hit.

If Kane wants money he isn't going to sign with a contender. None have a ton of cap space (unless they lose a key guy to long term injury). His best option is to sign a cheap deal, play well and be able to lock in something more lucrative next summer when hes not months removed from major surgery and has shown he is still a great player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suntouchable13

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Buffalo is 1 hour 15 minutes from downtown Toronto
If you make that drive regularly, and have to be somewhere at a specific time??? You give yourself at least 3 hours….

Not even at 3 am, with no cops, and the border guards sleeping, could you pull it off…

Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
lol is Kaner going to the Leafs the same way Stammer did? Keep dreaming, folks,,

Is it a dream though?

Makes no sense to me. Seems more like a nightmare.

Don't need P. Kane but if it's league minimum ok.......... but that's not happening.

Such a weird thread but any thread like this will live on for 5 billion pages, no matter how assinine it is.

If you make that drive regularly, and have to be somewhere at a specific time??? You give yourself at least 3 hours….

Not even at 3 am, with no cops, and the border guards sleeping, could you pull it off…

There are no traffic jams on that route, smooth sailing gun it 140kmh 25 minute drive. (/s)

Reactions: Budz and Voight

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If Kane wants money he isn't going to sign with a contender. None have a ton of cap space (unless they lose a key guy to long term injury). His best option is to sign a cheap deal, play well and be able to lock in something more lucrative next summer when hes not months removed from major surgery and has shown he is still a great player.

Define money. Barely above league minimum is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad